• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone syphon gas?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just wondering if there are any special nuances siphoning gas from our boats. Gas is getting scarce north of Alanta.

Do You need to take gas from your boat? Or are you worried about someone coming to steal gas from your boat? Or do you need to get a fresh tank to get out on the water and may go siphon gas to do it :)

I was just checking forums to see if anyone was mentioning this. I live in a quiet little community near Chattanooga, and all the stations are empty. We had to drive several miles but finally found a station that had gas and diesel. This is what we needed on top of already rising fuel prices just before the summer boating starts up...

Where are all the Tesla haters saying they can fill up in 5 minutes ?

Syphon out, just in case. I filled up all are vehicles on Saturday plus the boat but I usually use a tank a week in my truck. I have siphoned gas with a hose from my dads old chevy to put gas in my motorcycle back in the day ?just wondering if it will work with our boats.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Actually not a bad thought if it ever becomes tight on getting gas. A spare 50 out in the drive.

It's gonna get worst before it gets better ... there was already a shortage of local delivery capacity. Now with the pipeline shut down, even when it does reopen, it could take months for the supply chain to catch up.

Back to working from home?

It's gonna get worst before it gets better ... there was already a shortage of local delivery capacity. Now with the pipeline shut down, even when it does reopen, it could take months for the supply chain to catch up.

Back to working from home?

When I was in High School I had to get up at 3 am to go fill my Dad's car up. The day you could fill-up depended on whether your last number on your license plate was odd or even. Everyone was switching license plate. Those were the days. I had friends working at the gas stations and they would fill me up for free, check the oil, and wash the windows. Gas was high then, like .42c a gallon...lol

I think if you disconnect the fuel line from the engine and point it to the empty fuel canister and set the key to on, the fuel pump will energize and will serve you whatever you need. I have not tried it, but this would be my first try if I was in such a need.

I think if you disconnect the fuel line from the engine and point it to the empty fuel canister and set the key to on, the fuel pump will energize and will serve you whatever you need. I have not tried it, but this would be my first try if I was in such a need.
That will not work on computer controlled engines...if it doesn't see a crank signal, it shuts the fuel pump off.

There is a lip or internal ring near the tank to make getting those in the tank for siphoning difficult. But you can put the hose in a drill and while slowly spinning it will ear the lip and go into the tank. Then siphon away.

And Michigan‘s Governor is set to shut down line 5 from Canada tomorrow. ?

That will not work on computer controlled engines...if it doesn't see a crank signal, it shuts the fuel pump off.
You can jump the relay if it is not part of the ECU

Started at 10:30 pm looking for gas. After 6 stations found gas. (North georgia area) 400 north and jot em down rd. Yes that’s really a street name. Only had 87octane which I assumed would be first to be sold out. Sign requested 10 gallon max purchase. My reserve will be in my jet ski. I needed to pump out that gas anyway. Haven’t used it in a year. Will be tuning it up and placed for sale soon.

Yes you can siphon gas we did it after hurricane sandy . Not sure if they changed it on the newer models but we did it on the 2005 AR230 . The boat sits nice and high on the trailer

I have a generic 12volt electric fuel pump that I believe is rated at 2gpm wired to a switch that I use to pump fuel when needed that I picked up from a auto parts store. Less chance for spillage and sucking gas into your mouth.

This is what I used to do when we had the pontoon
I used one of these on my SeaDoo back in the day when I left gas in it for three years due to non use (had kids). It was very difficult to use but I expect with the higher and larger tank of the boat it would be much easier.

Also for the record I think the media is once again fanning these flames…. It’s toilet paper all over again. We’ve got the same amount of asses yet somehow we’re short on toilet paper? ?

I used one of these on my SeaDoo back in the day when I left gas in it for three years due to non use (had kids). It was very difficult to use but I expect with the higher and larger tank of the boat it would be much easier.

Also for the record I think the media is once again fanning these flames…. It’s toilet paper all over again. We’ve got the same amount of asses yet somehow we’re short on toilet paper? ?
I disagree a bit on the media thing...I get the panic buying, but gas stations around here are already sold out. You can stack the paper as high as you want in a basement, but you can only fill your fuel tank up so much. There's definitely a shortage. The hacked pipeline has its output restricted and you have tanker drivers who retired during the shut downs because they didn't have work.

On Saturday in the midwest, (before the pipeline shutdown in an area not affected by it). I went to the local station and they were out of 87 and 89, still had 91. they told me the truck was 4 days late because of the driver shortage. We are less than 15 mins from two refineries for the area. Not sure if this is real or media hype, but this company is paying $14K/week for drivers. Boating is going to cost more this summer, along with everything else.

Back