• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone towing a 240 short distances with a 5000 lb rated SUV

Alan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
About to purchase AR250 but have a 5000 pound rated SUV. Boat, trailer and a full tank will be about 5500 pounds but tongue weight at 7% is OK as SUV handles 500 pounds. To avoid mooring the boat I can store it at the marina and tow it 500 feet to launch. Gas is 4 miles away to avoid buying at the marina with associated water and storage issues. Has anyone taken a similar risk without experiencing negatives in terms of safety or transmission damage?

What vehicle? Hills? Altitude? Traffic?

What is your tow vehicle? Towing at the limit often is about can you ‘stop’ in a situation or is the boat pushing your rig.

I towed our sx230 with a Tahoe that was rated at 5500lbs from the east coast to the Midwest with no issues. Used the Tahoe for years and towed short and long distance for 4 years with no issues.

Your use case doesn’t seem to be strenuous.

About to purchase AR250 but have a 5000 pound rated SUV. Boat, trailer and a full tank will be about 5500 pounds but tongue weight at 7% is OK as SUV handles 500 pounds. To avoid mooring the boat I can store it at the marina and tow it 500 feet to launch. Gas is 4 miles away to avoid buying at the marina with associated water and storage issues. Has anyone taken a similar risk without experiencing negatives in terms of safety or transmission damage?
Your gross weight with fuel and gear is going to be 6000+ not 5500
Ar240s fueled and loaded with gear come in between 5500 and 6000

5224 dry weight on trailer.

Vehicle is a 2020 Hyundai Palisade 291 HP AWD rated to tow 5000 lb. 5700 lb weight is a more accurate number for the boat and trailer but at that level the GVWR of the vehicle is still not exceeded taking into consideration passengers, cargo and fuel in both the SUV and the boat - only the gross towing weight is above the rated SUV limit. Location is CT about 400 ft above sea level and basically level roads.

You will be absolutely fine towing a short distance with that rig as long as your trailer brakes are good. I towed my 16 AR240 short distances (less than 30 miles) for a while with my 2015 Toyota Highlander. It actually did a fine job here in flat Indiana.

Vehicle is a 2020 Hyundai Palisade 291 HP AWD rated to tow 5000 lb. 5700 lb weight is a more accurate number for the boat and trailer but at that level the GVWR of the vehicle is still not exceeded taking into consideration passengers, cargo and fuel in both the SUV and the boat - only the gross towing weight is above the rated SUV limit. Location is CT about 400 ft above sea level and basically level roads.
:Welcome:
We have an SUV with 5000lbs tow limit and the V6 pulls the 212s just fine. Ours is a little lighter at 4900lbs loaded but she pulls and stops well. It looks like a big boat for the tow vehicle, but not an issue for me and I can see my blind spots in the mirrors just fine. Being big and heavy I can feel her back there for sure, but not a problem.

Technically you're over the tow limit and you need to be aware of that, but the V6 in your Palisade should have plenty of power to pull the boat the short distances you need to get gas, etc. Sure you'll feel it back there, but the brakes on the trailer helps. Tow cautiously and smart, and you shouldn't have any issues. Just be aware that you're towing over the limit so don't go crazy and keep your distance.

About tongue weights, double-check those numbers - I find Yamaha tends to spec to 10% or more (550lbs for our boat) and that was too heavy for the soft suspension of our SUV. I adjusted the winch tower to get the boat at the rear of the bunks per Shorelander specs, and slid the axles forward to get tongue weight down to 5% which is within specs and now at 250lbs there's very little sag in the rear of the truck and the trailer rides level. When hooked up, look at the rear wheels for sag. Also look at the fenders over the trailer tandem wheels - the fender should be level, not leaning down over the forward wheel which will contribute to more wear on the forward tires and brakes.

Did some searching around.. this forum links to folks towing travel trailers, as FYI.

I almost always respond “No” to these threads but if that’s really all you’re doing it should be fine.

You should be fine if that’s all you’re doing.
Sounds like you’re on Candlewood?

If you are ever in an accident and your insurance company figures out you are towing beyond the vehicle's rating they have an out.... Just be careful
I hear this a lot, and have yet to hear a single person come forward and say that insurance hasn't paid. IMO, this is a fallacy.

Insurances' sole purpose is to protect you when you do something stupid. Whether that's driving too fast in the rain, backing into a lamp pole, or towing too much, the purpose of that policy is to protect financially from liability towards damages done.

I'm all ears to hear of anyone that has been denied coverage, after crashing, because they were towing above the limit.

I almost always respond “No” to these threads but if that’s really all you’re doing it should be fine.

I typically say the same thing. In general towing over the limit will reduce the lifespan of your tow vehicle. If we're honestly talking about a few miles, on mostly flat roads, then @Alan is most likely just fine. If he takes his time, leaves plenty of space, and keeps his head about him, then my suspicion is the risk of damage to people and property is rather low. He's not absurdly over the tow rating, the distance is short, and there are no perilous obstacles to traverse (like a steep ramp to climb out of, or major interstate to travel, etc).

I hear this a lot, and have yet to hear a single person come forward and say that insurance hasn't paid. IMO, this is a fallacy.

Insurances' sole purpose is to protect you when you do something stupid. Whether that's driving too fast in the rain, backing into a lamp pole, or towing too much, the purpose of that policy is to protect financially from liability towards damages done.

I'm all ears to hear of anyone that has been denied coverage, after crashing, because they were towing above the limit.

While I don't care to read the T&Cs of my insurance policy, I certainty would not risk it. I would highly suggest the OP call his insurance or read his T&Cs to confirm this. I've heard this from someone that researches stuff way too much so I trust his opinion that is true (at least for some insurances). From what I've been told - if you get caught over your limit you are responsible for all damages, whether your fault or not. Insurance is there to protect you, but at the end of the day they are there to protect them selves, if they can weasel their way out of a claim, I am sure they will try.

You will be okay, just don’t take it to Florida. If you get in the habit of doing it make sure you cha fe the transmission fluid a bit more frequently and if possible add disk brakes on the second axle( really was si job actually )

Agreed. Insurance is a non issue, I think. After all, if you're drunk as a skunk and crash your car and hurt someone, the policy will still pay. That's about as negligent as you get. I could see the potential for additional legal penalties enacted by the police as a result of investigation, but not insurance.

:Welcome:
We have an SUV with 5000lbs tow limit and the V6 pulls the 212s just fine. Ours is a little lighter at 4900lbs loaded but she pulls and stops well. It looks like a big boat for the tow vehicle, but not an issue for me and I can see my blind spots in the mirrors just fine. Being big and heavy I can feel her back there for sure, but not a problem.

Technically you're over the tow limit and you need to be aware of that, but the V6 in your Palisade should have plenty of power to pull the boat the short distances you need to get gas, etc. Sure you'll feel it back there, but the brakes on the trailer helps. Tow cautiously and smart, and you shouldn't have any issues. Just be aware that you're towing over the limit so don't go crazy and keep your distance.

About tongue weights, double-check those numbers - I find Yamaha tends to spec to 10% or more (550lbs for our boat) and that was too heavy for the soft suspension of our SUV. I adjusted the winch tower to get the boat at the rear of the bunks per Shorelander specs, and slid the axles forward to get tongue weight down to 5% which is within specs and now at 250lbs there's very little sag in the rear of the truck and the trailer rides level. When hooked up, look at the rear wheels for sag. Also look at the fenders over the trailer tandem wheels - the fender should be level, not leaning down over the forward wheel which will contribute to more wear on the forward tires and brakes.
Hyundai has auto-leveling rear shocks in the SUV which should help. Good point re: checking what Yamaha sets the tongue weight at. Since my SX190 was set by Yamaha at 10 % I'm guessing the tongue weight will need an adjustment. I've held a Class A CDL in the past so I'm aware of trailering risks. The other alternative of course would be to buy an AR210 which would keep me within the specified limits.

Hyundai has auto-leveling rear shocks in the SUV which should help.
That's a handy feature...all SUV's should have that as I find the suspensions are very soft for a smooth ride rather than hauling gear or towing.
The other alternative of course would be to buy an AR210 which would keep me within the specified limits.
Or if you're looking at 21' models, a nice 212s...just sayin...
:D

I am a vote for no on this one. The limits are too close for me. I've been trailering a long time and have experience and memory to remember how scary it can be to take evasive action with a large load (relative to the vehicle) being towed. Ever have a front wheel go off the shoulder and need to quickly correct? High winds over a bridge? Emergency stops due to another vehicle issue? I like a large footprint tow vehicle with enough mass to counteract the towed package.

The Palisade seems like a perfectly competent tow vehicle for 21ft and below, but I would not personally attempt it with a 240. I freely admit I may be overly cautious.

The difference between a 210 and 240 is relatively small. 190 and 210 yes but 210 vs 240 not so much.
As far as taking evasive actions goes, the tow vehicle capacity importance increased exponentially with speed. On a 5 mile rather flat local road with brakes on each axle it will not loose sleep over safety. He/she could probably stick to 45mph maximum speed and be fine. The probability of something going wrong at those conditions is smaller than any of us doing 75mph with an F150 on the way to Florida.

Back