• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Does anyone use the newer explorers to tow a 24ft jetboat

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have those extendable mirrors on my 3500 gmc stake bed and they stay extended all the time!

Also as far s original discussion and tow vehicles, my 2004 f150 xlt with the 5.4 3v tows anything just fine. Don't even know what the nada on it is, but i bet i could buy a whole lotta gas for what the upgrade cost would be for something better on gas but able to tow.
I would suppose you are right. Then again, I could just go back to my Volkswagon Sport Wagon with the 2.0L TDI. It got me 60 MPG regularly but never less that 40 MPGs even in heavy traffic. That was a $20K car brand new and will run forever. BUT I wouldn't have gotten what I wanted and I wouldn't have been able to tow my boat. Of course, boats are expensive too.......

Not to start a fan boy conversation. I've owned 3 Fords, and never had any luck with them. Just my two cents.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@PeterB Have you ever checked your transmission temp while towing? Just curious, as mine usually runs around 230-233 degrees while towing. It does seem a little high but the Canyon forums are useless. Since I am approaching that 45K mark, I am considering swapping out the transmission fluid and filter. Probably going to run Amsoil ATF as I have heard it drops the ATF temps by 20-40 degrees.

Anyone have any experience with Amsoil ATF?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PeterB Have you ever checked your transmission temp while towing? Just curious, as mine usually runs around 230-233 degrees while towing. It does seem a little high but the Canyon forums are useless. Since I am approaching that 45K mark, I am considering swapping out the transmission fluid and filter. Probably going to run Amsoil ATF as I have heard it drops the ATF temps by 20-40 degrees.

Anyone have any experience with Amsoil ATF?
No experience with AMSOIL, however 220-230 is too high for trans temp IMO. I would personally add a secondary cooler as soon as possible. The 6L80E in my Sierra runs around 190deg pretty consistent. The 6T60E in my wifes traverse runs around 190-200. The old 4L65E in my SS would get into the 220's on occasion, and that was usually followed with a full boil over of the cooling system, that truck had other problems. The 700R4 that is behind the turbo 4.3 in a syclone/typhoon from the early 90's would run VERY hot and have to handle TONS of torque (those trucks can make 500ft-lbs with just a few mods). Thos gusy have documented the benefits of a cool transmission many times over. The 4L60E in my '03 Yukon would never break 120-140 deg.That is a little low IMO. The 160-190 range is about where I'm "comfortable" with GM trans temps.....I have no data on the new 8spd's though. I'm unsure what they "should" run.

I've found this to be a decent guide to temps.....
http://transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-temperature-gauge/

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Dan_NC last weekend in 75 degree weather I ran 200 miles towing the 242 with a high trans temp around 218F. On hotter days I've been in the 220's, but I don't recall seeing 230's.
The dealer told me so long as I'm typically under 240 all is well.
Trans was fine but I did shred our Bimini. The cover zipper came undone and exposed the Bimini, then the wind made mince meat of it. Cost me close to what I was about to spend on those larger mirrors!
I didn't realize it until a biker came alongside making very unusual hand signals. At first I thought Midwest bikers had very odd customs - then I realized it was a unique form of communication - I had to duck down to see the tower in the mirror, and saw lots of threads dangling from the tower.
New rule - I take the Bimini off the tower to tow!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.......New rule - I take the Bimini off the tower to tow!
I've started doing this as well. Just seems like an easy way to make it last longer.