• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone with YDS..need a favor

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In trying to find out why my engines won't go past 7000 RPM'S, the dealer sent a tech to my boat and hooked up his computer. He said the only thing he noticed was that the throttle bodies only open to 80%. The dealership has been running me in circles and doesn't know if this is normal or not. Could somebody with the YDS and a later model (2013-2015) boat hook up their diagnostics and let me know what their getting? Thanks.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your dealer has access to the corporate engineers who can tell them anything they desire! I'm sure someone will post your RPM range shortly.

How many hours are on your boat?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In trying to find out why my engines won't go past 7000 RPM'S, the dealer sent a tech to my boat and hooked up his computer. He said the only thing he noticed was that the throttle bodies only open to 80%. The dealership has been running me in circles and doesn't know if this is normal or not. Could somebody with the YDS and a later model (2013-2015) boat hook up their diagnostics and let me know what their getting? Thanks.
80% open means you're getting 80% air fuel mix means you're getting 80% speed. I believe your top RPM in your boat is 8000 RPM so 7000 / 8000 = 87.5% I think that's where the problem lies. Hope someone with YDS will chime in to confirm this for you but your maintenance folks should know or at least be able to call Yamaha to find out. This may also be a simple linkage adjustment that you can do yourself.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Your dealer has access to the corporate engineers who can tell them anything they desire! I'm sure someone will post your RPM range shortly.

How many hours are on your boat?
I totally agree murf'n'surf. It's been almost two weeks and every time I call they say they can't get to the engineers??? I have about 34 hours on the boat.

80% open means you're getting 80% air fuel mix means you're getting 80% speed. I believe your top RPM in your boat is 8000 RPM so 7000 / 8000 = 87.5% I think that's where the problem lies. Hope someone with YDS will chime in to confirm this for you but your maintenance folks should know or at least be able to call Yamaha to find out. This may also be a simple linkage adjustment that you can do yourself.
I did the linkage adjustment myself as this is not my first Yamaha boat. You have no idea what it's like to deal with this dealership. There is nobody that knows anything about these boats....and this is one of South Florida's largest jet boat dealers. It's very frustrating.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
maybe being a engine/ecu issue you could take it to a jet ski dealer if you knew one that would give better service?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know your not dealing with Riva....maybe you need to switch.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, yes, I know Murf....but who else do I have down here in the Keys? Now I'm embarrassed....my dirty secret is out. I bought from Riva.
I love Riva but only deal with the Pompano store....never had anything less than excellent service.

I would have a talk with the service manager and get to the bottom of it.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Key Largo store is an entirely different story my friend. Troy is the service writer. Nicest guy in the world. Want to go have some beers with him....but he does not know a damn thing about boats. Background in motorcycles apparently. They are very busy and it affects the way they deal with you post sale. I am stuck with them. That is why I'm trying to do a little investigating of my own. The GM actually told me it was normal for the boat to be slow before the 10 hour service. Said they just need to reset the ecm. I told him I didn't see that in the maintenance schedule. Also told me maybe Yamaha was limiting the top end of some boats because they were too fast or wearing out too quickly. Swear to God that's what he said. Lol.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Geez. Hate to hear that. Yeah, sounds like you need a change of venue.

Back to your OP, I have the YDS, but not that year boat. If someone could lend me a 2015 242, I would be happy to hook it up... It would only take me a couple of weeks to make sure I got a good reading. ;)

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK....I promise to be your best friend forever. :joyful: Can someone please let me know how many degrees their throttle bodies are opening at WOT. Don't make me beg. Lol.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK....I promise to be your best friend forever. :joyful: Can someone please let me know how many degrees their throttle bodies are opening at WOT. Don't make me beg. Lol.
I don't have the same boat or engines in mine. But I'll check if you think it will help you. It will take me a few days to get to it, but let me know if you're still interested.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't have the same boat or engines in mine. But I'll check if you think it will help you. It will take me a few days to get to it, but let me know if you're still interested.
Thanks! Beggars can't be choosers. Actually, I think it might be helpful to have some info from different boats just for comparison.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, that has been my reason for lack of reply. I don't have a '15... The pattern is full for this weekend, but maybe I can get up there tomorrow and see if I can take some readings. Never actually started an engine with the YDS on it yet... This should be fun.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@OperationROL

With YDS and at least a few '15s at Shelbyville, do you think we could get this answer for him?

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, that has been my reason for lack of reply. I don't have a '15... The pattern is full for this weekend, but maybe I can get up there tomorrow and see if I can take some readings. Never actually started an engine with the YDS on it yet... This should be fun.
Thanks @tdonoughue. Much appreciated.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We will be in Shelbyville in 9 days and with any luck and a windows xp laptop, I will hook mine up. However, you can get most of the YDS info by holding down the system/control button for 3 seconds.

Check the model number of your boat. You may have a California low emission version .