• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone with YDS..need a favor

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok @rkgdmd, sorry it's taken so long. We're finally getting rain here in CA ;). So heres what I found. I'm not sure if this is what your dealer was referring to. My throttle seems to be monitored by degree, not %. These pics were taken with the boat on the trailer and not running. The first pic is at idle position, the second at wide open. Mine does appear to open to around 80 degrees. Hope this helps.
image.jpg
image.jpg

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi @itsdgm. Thanks for doing that. You are correct, throttle opening is measured in degrees not percent. The tech who came to my boat mistakenly told me percent and that's why I had asked for that. Unfortunately I think this info may confirm what I had been worried about...that there probably is nothing wrong with my boat and I'll never see 7500 RPM. It will be interesting to see if anybody else chimes in to verify if 80 degrees of throttle opening is normal. Can't thank you enough for taking the time.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @itsdgm. Thanks for doing that. You are correct, throttle opening is measured in degrees not percent. The tech who came to my boat mistakenly told me percent and that's why I had asked for that. Unfortunately I think this info may confirm what I had been worried about...that there probably is nothing wrong with my boat and I'll never see 7500 RPM. It will be interesting to see if anybody else chimes in to verify if 80 degrees of throttle opening is normal. Can't thank you enough for taking the time.
It does give a range of 0-90. But 80.5 is what mine was showing. Not sure if it opens up more while on the water. Other things to check, if you haven't already would be oil soaked air filters and possibly contaminated fuel. But I would imagine the fuel would show signs of sputtering.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've burned so much fuel and the engines run so well, that I doubt fuel is an issue. I have not checked the air filters for oil however. What would cause them to become oil soaked?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My vintage of Yamaha would soak the air filters if the engine was overfilled with oil. The excess oil would blow back into the filter and literally choke the engine and cause a loss of RPMs. I don't believe that the newer boats are as suceptable to this, but it's worth a look.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, @rkgdmd . Honey-do list took over and my time was occupied removing wallpaper today. Only got a quick trip up to the boat and ran out of time. I will try again this week.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We will be in Shelbyville in 9 days and with any luck and a windows xp laptop, I will hook mine up. However, you can get most of the YDS info by holding down the system/control button for 3 seconds.

Check the model number of your boat. You may have a California low emission version .
Thanks @OperationROL. 3 star boat.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm

I don't understand much of this info and my boat runs great but looking at most of my YDS read outs my throttle body was only open 1.5 -1.8 degrees. I had my engines running only at idle where it looks like on your readings the engines were off RPM's were 0. (why would it be open if the engine was off?).

4.Engine Monitor
Monitor Item (DATA) Result Unit
Engine speed 1642 r/min
Intake pressure 73.46 kPa
Intake pressure 21.44 inHg
Atmospheric pressure 991.8 hPa
Atmospheric pressure 29.3 inHg
Ignition timing BTDC 6 deg
Battery voltage (12-16) 14.81 V
TPS voltage (0.5-4.5) 0.762 V
Throttle valve opening (0-90) 1.5 deg

greg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be getting 7500 at least. I get 7640 port and 7520 star on my 2015. Just got 15 hours on them. I'm at sea level also like you

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You should be getting 7500 at least. I get 7640 port and 7520 star on my 2015. Just got 15 hours on them. I'm at sea level also like you
That's what I thought. Hence my quest to get to the bottom of this. Won't be able to get back to the boat until August. If I get a few more people to verify that 80 degrees at WOT Is normal, I'm going to try and run it without air filters to see if there is some sort of restriction there. Maybe @itsdgm is on to something.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm

I don't understand much of this info and my boat runs great but looking at most of my YDS read outs my throttle body was only open 1.5 -1.8 degrees. I had my engines running only at idle where it looks like on your readings the engines were off RPM's were 0. (why would it be open if the engine was off?).

4.Engine Monitor
Monitor Item (DATA) Result Unit
Engine speed 1642 r/min
Intake pressure 73.46 kPa
Intake pressure 21.44 inHg
Atmospheric pressure 991.8 hPa
Atmospheric pressure 29.3 inHg
Ignition timing BTDC 6 deg
Battery voltage (12-16) 14.81 V
TPS voltage (0.5-4.5) 0.762 V
Throttle valve opening (0-90) 1.5 deg
I simply pushed the handle/throttle into the forward/WOT position to answer rkgdmd's original question of "what reading do I get on YDS in the full throttle position".

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm

sorry for the confusion on my post above, I didn't read your post very well,

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm

sorry for the confusion on my post above, I didn't read your post very well,
No worries. I wasn't going to try and get a reading for WOT while running on the trailer, maybe on the lake next time though ;)

Jonathan Pisarczyk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've got the YDS software. Where is the YDS cable connection on the 2015 boats? I'm having the same low RPM issue.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got the YDS software. Where is the YDS cable connection on the 2015 boats? I'm having the same low RPM issue.
As per the Service manual:

The YDIS couplers are located in the driver's helm compartment.
The YDIS couplers are identified by "DIAGP" tag (port engine) or "DIAGS" tag (starboard engine) on the deck wire harness.

Also, do this with engines off, but with power to ECM. Bumping the starter without starting it should power up the ECM. This will allow you to obtain readings for WOT.

Jonathan Pisarczyk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As per the Service manual:

The YDIS couplers are located in the driver's helm compartment.
The YDIS couplers are identified by "DIAGP" tag (port engine) or "DIAGS" tag (starboard engine) on the deck wire harness.

Also, do this with engines off, but with power to ECM. Bumping the starter without starting it should power up the ECM. This will allow you to obtain readings for WOT.
Thanks, Hopefully the cable connection hasn't changed from the 2009 to 2015 boats.

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks, Hopefully the cable connection hasn't changed from the 2009 to 2015 boats.
Hmmm...sorry didn't see that you had a 2009. That connection may be in engine compartment. Let me see if I have a service manual for that year...I'll let you know.

Jonathan Pisarczyk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi I used to have a 2009 AR210. Now I've got a 2015 AR240.
I had used the YDS software to check how many hours on the AR210.