• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

AR 250 replacement anchor advice needed

68junglejim

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went out fishing with the kids and accidentally dropped the anchor that came with the boat onto an underwater tree that grew before the lake was created. After 20 mins trying to free the anchor from the limbs I had to cut the rope and let the anchor go. Anyways, I’m looking for advice on what anchor to replace it with that will be adequate for a 25’ boat.

Thanks In advance for the advice

I went out fishing with the kids and accidentally dropped the anchor that came with the boat onto an underwater tree that grew before the lake was created. After 20 mins trying to free the anchor from the limbs I had to cut the rope and let the anchor go. Anyways, I’m looking for advice on what anchor to replace it with that will be adequate for a 25’ boat.

Thanks In advance for the advice
You'll get lots of opinions on this one. For sand, mud, silt, grass, etc, I like Danforth style anchors. The Fortress or Guardian anchors are very light weight (aluminum/magnesium) and work well. Fortress recommends the FX-7 for up to 27' and the G-11 for 23-27'. I have the 3 lbs G-7 and it holds my 21 footer very well and fits in the anchor locker (I added two small rubber bumpers with stainless screws to hold it firmly in place). Box anchors appear to work well too. I might get a small one as a backup/stern anchor.

For finding anchor spots, you should consider a chartplotter or using the Navionics online Chart Viewer on your phone (or their app) - they show the seabed material, and sonar imaging helps too. I don't anchor in rocky areas so it doesn't get stuck in the rocks, and the chartplotter will let me know if there is sand, silt, mud or grass in the area where I can drop the anchor safely. Plus the added safety of a chartplotter showing depths and hazards makes boating much more relaxing - as it should be.
:D

I have three anchors on my 25'. For the bow I use the factory Danforth style, has worked very well for me so far. For the stern i have two of them. when close to shore I have a Spike/Sand anchor that works awesomely. For deeper water I recently got a small box anchor for the stern and it works, really, really well in the sandy areas i frequent. Thinking about moving that to the bow and moving the danforth to the stern.

Great input, Thank you all for the feedback. I live in Northern California and the lakes here are very rocky and the grades are extremely steep, aka no sand. Most of the time you are lucky to snag a shelf of clay or a medium size rock to hold you in place. I think I’ll get another Danforth and try to do a better job checking for obstacles. Wish the Yamahas had a better attachment points for a bow trolling motor as that would eliminate 90 percent of the times I need to anchor. Thanks again and if anyone else has an opinion I’m happy to hear it. Cheers

I'm pretty sure I've seen where others on here have crafted attachment points for a bow trolling motor via 3D printing of pieces (@HangOutdoors, was that you?). You may want to poke around the site and see if you can find any threads about it if you're interested in something like that.

Back