• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR & SX 192 - differences 2013-2016?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just checked on greenhulk's classified section and didn't see any svho intercoolers for sale there. Maybe I didn't do a thorough job of searching that site but I think it's more likely that the "all the time" statement as used excludes now or currently. Whereas I define now or currently as within the scope of all of the time.

note that the riva gen 2 equivalent kit sells for $1,000 which is better than the stock price of $1,570 currently Offered by Yamaha sports plaza.
http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/57e19aa987a8660eb0701b03/intake-2

As for the kW to hp conversion, I'm not confused and am not trying to make the determination confusing. The kW output is printed on a placard mounted on or near the engines. This is where my kW figures are from. Here is a link to the conversion site I used and the formula is cited in other threads here. http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/kw-to-hp.htm

Not sure what "best estimates" source(s) is (are) but if the conversion formula and source for it are accepted as accurate for the 1.8l n/a engines they should apply equally to all of Yamaha's other engines as well (I.e., kW on the placard x 1.341 = mechanical hp).

Unlike @swatski I have not been in many 230s (as a guest I presume), just the one sx230ho I owned and used heavily for four years. There is a distinct difference between the sounds that the 1,052 cc and 1,812 cc motors make, with the 1,052 reving a lot higher by about 2,500 rpm at wot. the print out I have for my 2010 242 LS shows 93 db whereas a 2015 242ls with quiet ride tech came in at 87 db at wot (you tube review) so quiet ride makes a huge difference in that the db scale is logarithmic so a small reduction or increase in db equates to a larger reduction or increase amplitude or power, keep in mind these are twin engine boats. as for the 190, 192 and 195 with quiet ride boat test results are 98 db , 100 db and 92 db at wot respectively. So as @swatski stated, the early 190s and 192s were the loudest of the Yamaha line when they were first introduced but they are all bad since according to web md constant / consistent exposure to any anything over 85 db is harmful.

Again, just something more to think about as the decisions on what to buy and for how much are determined.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As @swatski said you can get used SVHO intercoolers for that price on greenhulk. That's where I got mine before RIVA came in with their large eBay sale. I paid $150 + shipping from Canada. You're not going to see a ton of classifieds for the intercoolers. You have to do what I did and create a thread asking for them and you will get people send you PM's or post in your thread. Just look at my 5 page thread on there for example lol http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=252981. The people on greenhulk don't know what the value to sell them is so some people tried to charge me several hundred dollars because they saw the new price of $1,900 for a new intercooler lol. Sorry but it doesn't work that way lol so I pointed them to some older threads where people bought their used intercoolers for $100-200. Then they would come way down on their price lol. So yes, the going price I'd say is anywhere from $150-250 for a used intercooler. Anything more expensive than that just buy a Type 14.

Regarding noise, my boat is not annoyingly loud. I've even had other 192 owners ride in my boat and they also agree it sounds different and quieter than theirs. I know there is no Quiet Cruise tech in my boat. I'm not sure what it is but it's not blaring loud or any louder than a modern outboard IMO. Perhaps the older 19' boats used a different type or insulation or carpet...I don't know lol. I did car stereo installation for about 10 years in my late teens to 20's so I'm probably about deaf anyways haha.

This is what my boat sounds like at WOT (note it was w/ stock intercooler and heat soak testing)....

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Regarding noise, my boat is not annoyingly loud. I've even had other 192 owners ride in my boat and they also agree it sounds different and quieter than theirs. I know there is no Quiet Cruise tech in my boat. I'm not sure what it is but it's not blaring loud or any louder than a modern outboard IMO. Perhaps the older 19' boats used a different type or insulation or carpet...I don't know lol. I did car stereo installation for about 10 years in my late teens to 20's so I'm probably about deaf anyways haha.
I think you have the new (redesigned) coupler in the drive shaft. That should be HUGE help with vibration dampening.
"Quiet ride" is kind of a marketing bs term, just like "articulating keel". Not very specific, and they have been making gradual improvements all along.

--

Last edited:

dalcini

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@dalcini You didn't say what you want to do with your boat!
The top speed really doesn't mean anything, you are looking for family fun and towing/water sports. We just tend to pay close attention to max RPM and speed numbers here simply as a measure of a boat/engine performance, as those numbers are expected to fall within certain ranges, that's all.

--
@swatski, basically I'm looking for a first boat for me, my wife and two kids (ages 3 and 5.) We will probably use it mostly to go for rides, tie up with our boater friends on the water, and maybe pull some tubes when the kids get a bit older. I know I could get away with an SX for all of this, but admittedly I'm drawn to look of the AR boats!

Ideally, I'd really like to find a 212 SS. I found an ad for an 08, but it has a really short windshield. I think the windshield got tall a few years later, but then those get out of my price range.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I personally think tower adds value and functionality in those boats. If you are drawn to it, you know you will want it! The only negatives really are storage. If you go with an aftermarket tower, you will most likely need a custom cover. The Yamaha hulls are also very light weight which limits your options for mounting points, which makes an OEM tower an easy choice. That said, OEM towers can be VERY expensive to purchase and install, so it maybe best to get a boat with one.

You may find a nice AR230 in low $20k, I almost scored a 2009 242 LS for 25k earlier this year (didn't work at the end). Last year I came close to purchasing a super nice 2008 AR230 in low 20s. So, if you have the time to look and are willing to travel you may find some really nice deals.

The advantage of a single engine 190/192 Yammie is easy storage (could fit in a garage), easy towing, and just general ease of handling at a ramp or in a driveway, where you can actually push it around on your own. I loved mine for those reasons, and you can still very comfortably do what you want to do. But... kids grow up so fast, and then they bring friends...

--

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have been very happy with my AR192's performance on the MN waters. I have not noticed much issue with the heat soak do to the cooler water temps on the northern half of the US of A.