• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR/SX 192 Ribbon Delete

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, I think I'll do the same.

-Joe

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the air filter and ribbon delete spacer being shipped right now. I am absolutely not putting this thing back together if i have any concerns about plastic gaskets getting sucked back in. That sounds horrifying.

My understanding is:

1. If Riva Kit then Rubber gasket ribbon holder thing is OK (as per somewhat misleading Riva Directions PDF).
2. If NO Riva Kit then make sure the rubber gasket is removed... You don't want that thing sucked into your cylinder heads.

I just want to make sure I totally understand... the issue @Irvs had sound horrible with that gasket... .

Also, my plan is to put the ribbon back in if I need warranty work, I have 15 hours on the boat and don't expect any. (Should be easy to put it in/out on the 190 as I don't have a manifold or supercharger to work around).

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That's my understanding, I read the RIVA instructions and you are right could be miscontured, I opted out of that and just going with the filter. I took from the discussions that the RIVA sleeve would help smooth out the air and took that to be important to the supercharged guys not necessarily for us regular aspirated owners, but that's just an uneducated assumption on my part. I have had the boat on the water after the delete and she ran fine, more rpms and about 4 MPH pickup at top end, the motor sounds a lot better and actually my wife noted it was quieter at speed than normal. Good Luck!

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dumb question, has anyone completed the delete by feel with the throttle body in place? Unbolting the TB and flipping it over with all that crap around is freaking my out a little.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not sure how you would do that you can't pull the ribbon out through the throttle body. I just took the TB bolts out and then carefully pulled the TB off and wrapped in a clean tshirt and set it aside. After that it's 4 bolts and you are at the ribbon and the gasket, make sure to take them BOTH out and away. One piece of advice is if you have a shop magnetic pickup tool I would highly recommend having that close by, I didn't drop any bolts but I had my socket wrench extension fall off and roll under the motor, couldn't see it from any angle above or to the side so I had to go a fishing with my pickup tool...:( Also if anyone has a quick and painless way to remove the air filter from that monstrosity of a case I would really appreciate the advice, I should have my RIVA/KN suppressor filter in tomorrow and would like to be able to do that without the fight I had with it during the ribbon delete....

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm an idiot, I meant complete the delete without removing the manifold. Can you keep the manifold in place and remove the TB and ribbon downward?

Thanks.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@ROGUE111 do you have the AR190 or 192? If you have the 190 you will not have to mess with the manifold, if you have the supercharged 192 then I'm sure @haknslash could advise better than me I have a SX190 so no manifold removal for me.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not sure if there is enough room to allow the throttle body to drop without clearing away from the block which is why the manifold needs to be removed for the supercharged 1.8. You could remove the intercooler to give you more room for your hands and arms to work. Thinking back I would have done that as it takes no time to remove and reinstall the intercooler and it would probably save some awkward positions and cursing.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ROGUE111 do you have the AR190 or 192? If you have the 190 you will not have to mess with the manifold, if you have the supercharged 192 then I'm sure @haknslash could advise better than me I have a SX190 so no manifold removal for me.
I have Haknslash's 192.... and seem to be shamelessly copying his mod list. I already swapped intercoolers with the SVHO & in retrospect I should have done them at the same time. I guess I'll give it the ol' college try this week. Thanks fellas.

Andrew Doherty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
PWC
I have the air filter and ribbon delete spacer being shipped right now. I am absolutely not putting this thing back together if i have any concerns about plastic gaskets getting sucked back in. That sounds horrifying.

My understanding is:

1. If Riva Kit then Rubber gasket ribbon holder thing is OK (as per somewhat misleading Riva Directions PDF).
2. If NO Riva Kit then make sure the rubber gasket is removed... You don't want that thing sucked into your cylinder heads.

I just want to make sure I totally understand... the issue @Irvs had sound horrible with that gasket... .

Also, my plan is to put the ribbon back in if I need warranty work, I have 15 hours on the boat and don't expect any. (Should be easy to put it in/out on the 190 as I don't have a manifold or supercharger to work around).

Thanks everyone.
What is misleading about the Riva Instructions? I will revise if need be. Keep in mind we write them for waverunners and not jetboats. Sometime the parts around and in front are in different places on the two. If you are running the Riva Sleeve it is held in just like the stock ribbon is otherwise it would just float around. If you don't put the sleeve back in the gasket will be loose and will get sucked through. Also our sleeve is tapered to smooth out the airflow. The smoother the air going in the better the flow.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Andrew
Thanks for the instructions and now I understand what was confusing to me and that was the pictures of the motor and some of the hoses that did not match up to my SX190's. Now I know they aren't necessarily exact.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As others have said, the sleeve is there to smooth air flow. There are two important reasons for smooth flow.

One is noise feedback to air metering system. In order to maintain a clean MAF signal, you a need smooth transitions both before and after the sensor. This is important to both NA and FI applications.

The second reason is that the lip could drastically change flow to the #1 & #4 cylinders compared to 2/3. You already have a far from ideal turn radius to these two cylinders and a pretty straight shot to 2/3. That lip will only make the problem worse. This could cause problems with AFRs to individual cylinders. Too rich in 1/4 is no big deal, but then you could get a lean condition in 2/3...which is never good. Especially in a high compression engine or a supercharged engine.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you guys just reuse the gasket between the manifold and block when putting everything back together? The SHO service manual claims is not to be reused...

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did I couldn't see a reason not to just put it back, I don't have a SVHO or SHO engine, didn't know if it allow air leak between the two, and just to be sure you are talking about the red/orange gasket and not the black gasket that went around the ribbon...DO NOT put the black one around the ribbon back in unless it is around the RIVA adapter.

ROGUE111

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did I couldn't see a reason not to just put it back, I don't have a SVHO or SHO engine, didn't know if it allow air leak between the two, and just to be sure you are talking about the red/orange gasket and not the black gasket that went around the ribbon...DO NOT put the black one around the ribbon back in unless it is around the RIVA adapter.
Yes sir, I'm talking about the gasket between the intake manifold and the engine block.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes sir, I'm talking about the gasket between the intake manifold and the engine block.
I reused mine. I didn't know that it wasn't reusable but I haven't had any issues. The gasket is only $12 so not a big deal to buy a new one and I'll be doing mine over the winter now lol.

Last edited: