• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 Depth Finder

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2018 AR190. It's time. I need to add a depth finder. I am debating 3 options....
1. Just depth, run Navionics on my phone for chart plotting.
2. Lowrance 5 inch Hook Reveal 5 splitshot fishfinder
3. Lowrance 7 inch Hook Reveal 7 splitshot or Elite-7 Ti2 Fishfinder

What have you guys added? Pictures would be much appreciated to see size and placement. Is navionics better on the phone or the fishfider? One thing nice about the phone is it auto-updates with latest maps and it updates depths with the tides... do the fishfinders adjust for tides?

NH190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put in a Garmin Striker on my 190. I’d say if you are going to install a transducer, might as well get a combo unit with map. Seeing the bottom contour on sonar is helpful instead of just a number. The phone gets hot and eats battery using the app all the time. It’s a great backup though.

So far as I know navionics will display mean low water just like NOAA charts. To update you have to download them at home with the chip. Yearly charge as well.

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put in a Garmin Striker on my 190. I’d say if you are going to install a transducer, might as well get a combo unit with map. Seeing the bottom contour on sonar is helpful instead of just a number. The phone gets hot and eats battery using the app all the time. It’s a great backup though.

So far as I know navionics will display mean low water just like NOAA charts. To update you have to download them at home with the chip. Yearly charge as well.
how much is the yearly charge? $15?

NH190

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Between $75 and $100 depending on size of chart. I believe C Map is similar. I use the Navionics platinum on my ocean boat.

The Garmin unit I have on my 190 has GPS and records your depth as you go and saves it. Not a real chart but very helpful to plot out safe routes. Since I’m not doing any real offshore navigation with the 190 it’s perfect.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 19 and with the limited dash space and the requirement of a VHF radio here in HI I found the Garmin 44CV to be nearly perfect. Displays vertical and the bracket rotates and tilts. Plumbed the transducer to the ride plate (custom bracket) and the wiring up through the gravity drain on the deck. Been working great for over 4 years now and at all speeds.

Garmin Head Unit on Dash.jpg

Transducer Installed.jpg

Steve73

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 19 and with the limited dash space and the requirement of a VHF radio here in HI I found the Garmin 44CV to be nearly perfect. Displays vertical and the bracket rotates and tilts. Plumbed the transducer to the ride plate (custom bracket) and the wiring up through the gravity drain on the deck. Been working great for over 4 years now and at all speeds.

View attachment 178706

View attachment 178707
Thanks. I was watching your youtube video yesterday on this install. I love the ride plate idea