• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 Dual Battery Install Complete

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I finally got around to hooking up dual batteries. I was sick of sitting at Sand Bar and worried about battery dying on me.

First, I found the perfect battery for my intended use. Basically, I just wanted 2nd battery to run radio for half the day. So I found a small deep cycle battery at Bass Pro. I like this battery because it's small and didn't add much weight to my boat, but when charged should run radio all day long.

Second, Bass Pro had the Dual Battery switch I wanted. It happens to be the same brand used by Yamaha so mounting holes matched perfectly. I didn't even have to drill holes and even used same bolts.

I found the two new battery cables at Advanced Auto parts, they already had the connectors on them and ready to go. I used a Dual Battery tray from Bass Pro so I was able to put both batteries on one tray, thought is was cleaner looking and also yes drilling in boat floor.

I also added the quick connect for my Battery Tenders for both batteries if you wonder what the extra wires are.

Long story short, thought I would share because it was quite simple install and looked pretty clean I thought. I actually moved the batteries back farther so they are now completely under the coverage and not the seat cushion so less chance of every getting wet. It also gave me a little more storage room believe it or not.

Battery - $150
Switch - $50
Extra Cables - $15
Dual Tray - $10

I spend about 4 hours on install.dan phone 07072017 084.jpg dan phone 07072017 085.jpg dan phone 07072017 086.jpg

Last edited:

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cable coming out the right side of the switch is black even though it is POSITIVE, for what ever reason all they had was black at Advanced Auto. I added a red stripe on both ends just as a reminder. I still plan to label switch with label maker and vacuum carpet since I made a mess during install....lol. Hope this helps anyone wanting to do the same. Again, I just wanted battery for radio and nothing else really. Guessing if you plan on running more accessories you'll want the bigger battery, but reminder this adds weight to boat if your concerned about that.

Last edited:

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
awesome write up, thanks!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you try starting the boat with the small battery yet? It may surprise you. It would be nice if it did start for that extra piece of mind.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It did start the boat, it was by accident because I forgot to switch to the starting battery.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Beachbummer that is the same engine as what is in the Waverunners. They start with tiny PWC batteries. You could probably start these engines with some D size batteries in series.

danclemo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, was curious how long the "radio" battery would truly last. That darned little battery kicks some butt. I had radio cranking and other accessories at times for about a 6 hours period this weekend and radio battery never died out. Pretty happy with dual install now.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reviving this old thread. Do you happen to have a diagram of how you hooked the existing wires and everything up? Why did you want this switch versus a Blue Sea system?

D Sonkin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What screws did you use to attach tray to the floor? Could you please provide exact dimensions/specs? Thank you!

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What screws did you use to attach tray to the floor? Could you please provide exact dimensions/specs? Thank you!
looking at the photos you could just reuse the current battery box screws already used in the boat.

D Sonkin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm not replacing a tray, rather adding another one. I can probably take out one of existing screw and look at it first, just hoping someone did it already.

Jim Crane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did mine. It was a #10 3/4" self tapping stainless steel screw. I pre-drilled anyway because it is a hard reach.

Medvec04

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Reviving this old thread. Do you happen to have a diagram of how you hooked the existing wires and everything up? Why did you want this switch versus a Blue Sea system?
Just copying this quote. Could you show or explain which wires you connected to the common and b1 and b2?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Waiting for the same chart of the wires connection... if someone would do, great...

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
ADDING A SECOND BATTERY: I finally did mine. But instead of replacing the original switch On/Off, I added another one similar for dual Battery Selector:
1612973786631.png

This new switch has three screws, the bottom one is the one that sends the current, so the red cable that used to go to the original battery it now goes here to connect to the original Switch On/Off. And on the other screws, I used new red cables to reach the positive of the original battery and the other one used to reach the new second battery (see diagram below), so basically disconnect the red cable going to the original battery to be connected to the new battery selector.

I ordered 2 sets of cables. There is one shorter version if you think is better, I just wanted to have flexibility reaching the batteries. I only used one black to connect to the negative of the original battery to the negative of the second battery.
1612973854291.png1612973920553.png
The batteries are next to each other, and for the new one I attached a black box (container for the battery) screwed using 4 screws #10 3/4".

I also remove this new battery back and forth to my house because I keep it charging at home. I changed the nuts for butterfly nuts (1612971583410.png ) so the removal is very easy... I only use the boat every weekend or every other weekend. This battery will be used for the music when the boat's engine is turned off (or if Battery #1 would not work for some reason, peace of mind). When that happens I switch to Battery 2 in the selector.
I can turn on the engine from here, but when resuming normal operations, I switch to Battery 1 and also to recharge this battery while the boat is running because it is always in the boat and I don't recharge it at home.

Total investment: $40 + Battery of your choice... $$$

Final diagram:
1612974646191.png

In addition, I also have this in case batteries all go without charge (but that is extreme precaution):

1612973360765.png 1612973530340.png

Attachments

Last edited:

TexAg16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
ADDING A SECOND BATTERY: I finally did mine. But instead of replacing the original switch On/Off, I added another one similar for dual Battery Selector:
View attachment 141908

This new switch has three screws, the bottom one is the one that sends the current, so the red cable that used to go to the original battery it now goes here to connect to the original Switch On/Off. And on the other screws, I used new red cables to reach the positive of the original battery and the other one used to reach the new second battery (see diagram below), so basically disconnect the red cable going to the original battery to be connected to the new battery selector.

I ordered 2 sets of cables. There is one shorter version if you think is better, I just wanted to have flexibility reaching the batteries. I only used one black to connect to the negative of the original battery to the negative of the second battery.
View attachment 141909View attachment 141910
The batteries are next to each other, and for the new one I attached a black box (container for the battery) screwed using 4 screws #10 3/4".

I also remove this new battery back and forth to my house because I keep it charging at home. I changed the nuts for butterfly nuts (View attachment 141901 ) so the removal is very easy... I only use the boat every weekend or every other weekend. This battery will be used for the music when the boat's engine is turned off (or if Battery #1 would not work for some reason, peace of mind). When that happens I switch to Battery 2 in the selector.
I can turn on the engine from here, but when resuming normal operations, I switch to Battery 1 and also to recharge this battery while the boat is running because it is always in the boat and I don't recharge it at home.

Total investment: $40 + Battery of your choice... $$$

Final diagram:
View attachment 141912

In addition, I also have this in case batteries all go without charge (but that is extreme precaution):

View attachment 141905 View attachment 141907
How is it all working for you so far?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Beachbummer that is the same engine as what is in the Waverunners. They start with tiny PWC batteries. You could probably start these engines with some D size batteries in series.
Yep, these motors need very little to turn them over.