• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR195 Questions

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 5 year YES warranty on my 2013 AR190 expires at the end of this year which has me seriously looking into upgrading. I like the size of the AR210 but the lack of power has pushed me back to the AR195 (plus that 7k price difference).

My questions regarding the 195 are these; Fuel Consumption…I realize the supercharged engine is going to burn more, but is it significantly more than the 190? I read they recommend premium gas. Is this a requirement or only a recommendation for best performance? I’d have to start “charging donations” from guest if this engine was burning twice as much fuel at premium cost. The 195 trailer has disc brakes? My Jeep GC is wired for both pin hookups but I don’t have a brake controller. Is one needed for this?

Thanks for any help with the above. I love my 190 but the combo of more power plus another warranty has been keeping me up late these days. Now I just wish all my 190 mods/upgrades would magically transfer over…

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The brakes are hydraulic with the same trailer functions as a typical Shoreland'r trailer with surge brakes. The brakes operate by the tongue as you apply brake pressure the tongue goes in and hydraulically activates the brakes. An electronic brake controller isn't for these types of brake systems.

Yes the require premium fuel. I would not run an SVHO in lower octane but that's just me. They run a higher amount of boost due to the larger compressor wheel so that's why they require premium over the regular octane rating of an SHO (192) engine.

gsbrown

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I haven't used any gas less than 91 octane and usually fill it with 93 octane. Usually go thru about 15 gallons per outing or somewhere between $40 -$50. For the trailer my old truck only had a 4 pin connector so I had to run the 5th wire to a tail light reverse bulb. My new truck has a 7 pin connector and I bought the adapter 5 pin to 7 pin. No brake controller needed.

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash Thanks for the info on the brakes. I've got some decisions to make as I don't believe the Marina on my lake even sells the higher octane gas. Which means I'll be lugging gas cans if I keep the boat in the water.

I know full consumption depends on how your using the boat but what's your avg GPH would you say?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife calls this "husband math" postulate which is a corellary to the "wife found it on sale" theorm.......but here is the fuel burn numbers I came up with. If you give me your numbers I'll gladly input them.

Come to think of it, let me try to upload that spreadsheet to a shared Google doc when I get back to a computer.

The fuel burn was a big consideration on us getting the 190 over the 195.

kevalbanya

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 5 year YES warranty on my 2013 AR190 expires at the end of this year which has me seriously looking into upgrading. I like the size of the AR210 but the lack of power has pushed me back to the AR195 (plus that 7k price difference).

My questions regarding the 195 are these; Fuel Consumption…I realize the supercharged engine is going to burn more, but is it significantly more than the 190? I read they recommend premium gas. Is this a requirement or only a recommendation for best performance? I’d have to start “charging donations” from guest if this engine was burning twice as much fuel at premium cost. The 195 trailer has disc brakes? My Jeep GC is wired for both pin hookups but I don’t have a brake controller. Is one needed for this?

Thanks for any help with the above. I love my 190 but the combo of more power plus another warranty has been keeping me up late these days. Now I just wish all my 190 mods/upgrades would magically transfer over…
@jared24
I could use some help. Just wondering since you mentioned YES warranty. I was trying to decide whether or not it makes sense to pay for the warranty. In our experience, does it worth it?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Warranties don't pay off, on average. The chances of having a major engine failure in the first 5 years is pretty low. They are an added-value product for dealers with 100% profit margins. If you can get it at or near cost, it might be worthwhile. If you had to drop $5000 in 4 years, would it bankrupt you? Lots to consider .... I don't normally buy them. I did, because I got it for 40% off. Keep in mind the extended warranty doesn't cover as much as the standard warranty that comes with the boat.

There were some design problems with 2014-2015 SVHO (timing chain), which it seems Yamaha mostly resolved out of their goodwill even when out of warranty.

If you sell your boat in 4 years to an individual (not a dealer), it will be easier to find buyers and may get you a little more $$$ if it's still under warranty.

We average around 8.5 GPH on our AR195. About half our time is spent wake surfing at about 10-11 GPH. We cruise at 26-30mph which is 9-10 GPH.

I would imagine it uses about 40% more fuel than the normally aspirated engine, plus the slightly higher fuel cost.

That being said, for watersports, it's well worth it.

rpmmph (corrected)ktsgal/hr

I recall around 22 Gal/hr (7600 rpm) is the max consumption at top speed (47 mph).

Last edited:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take $20k it would take to upgrade after Tax, s&h, and title and put it in the bank. It will pay for a lot of boat issues. I know, not nearly as fun. I have a 19 190 and I can't keep my eye off of a 195S.