• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR210 - Brand new and very low power

smythyone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi All,
I bought a brand new AR210, and the power is awful! After break in I tried to go full through and I can get to about 7000 RPM at max and a top speed of like 29mph. I am at higher elevation, boating at 3800ft and I know there are going to be differences in how they perform but this poor? I full throttle it and I am not getting over 30mph....any thoughts?!

also my fuel gauge does not work well. Said I was still at 100% and yet I burned like 22 gallons according to that gauge. Is this a known issue?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many hours on the engine's? What does it indicate. Also check your oil level, there is a change they over filled it at dealership. Run the engine at idle/now wake speed for 6 minutes or so on the lake. Shut it off check the oil level. See if there is too much in there. Just a suggestion.

Are your impellers clear?

Last edited:

smythyone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many hours on the engine's? What does it indicate. Also check your oil level, there is a change they over filled it at dealership. Run the engine at idle/now wake speed for 6 minutes or so on the lake. Shit it off check the oil level. See if there is too much in there. Just a suggestion.

Are your impellers clear?
Thank you for the reply! Engine has about 11hrs on it. Oil level is perfect, half way between full and low marks. Checked impellers, they are clear.
checked the port clean outs And they are tight and locked. Totally stumped

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check air filters are not full of oil, test by running briefly without them them. Make sure jet nozzelles are aligned by running a level across them. Spark plugs should be checked dor fouling and proper gap. Finally make sure that when throttles are full forward the linkage in engine compartment is fully rotated and hitting the stops with no play and that the buckets over nozzles are fully coming up.

Beyond this i am not sure. I just went through something similiar but not as extreme and mine are running fine now.

You are also due for your 10 hr service.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Running at altitude like that you will find a benifit to re-pitching the impellors. Many here who run at altitude have had their impellors repitched. @J-RAD will know more about that, as well as others who will chime in who boat out West. We boat at 100' or less in elevation. If your dealer was local, to that elevation, surprised they did not offer a repitch or to change the impellors.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
  1. Next time you are out...confirm that 29MPH against a GPS reading from your phone.
  2. You are losing a lot of top end without those extra 600RPMs. Repitching would help, but I suspect something else is at play here.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took my 2020 AR210 out last weekend, at WOT the most I got wass about 7300 RPMs on both engines and top speed varied, hit 40MPH once, otherwise was usually about 38MPH. I'd assume wind, current, and how many people you have on the boat plays a big factor in top speed.
I'm just about due for my 10hr service now.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know, I haven't gotten the price from the dealer yet. I'm leaning towards having them do it, and maybe seeing if I can watch. How about you?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did mine myself. I kind of went through it in the other thread I linked. Everything is running great now.

DanP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took my 2020 AR210 out last weekend, at WOT the most I got wass about 7300 RPMs on both engines and top speed varied, hit 40MPH once, otherwise was usually about 38MPH. I'd assume wind, current, and how many people you have on the boat plays a big factor in top speed.
I'm just about due for my 10hr service now.
I have a 2020 AR210 also, just passed about 11 hours on it. Top speed I've seen is 41, with 3 of us onboard and a full tank of gas on a flat lake yesterday I was running 35-39 MPH around 7400 RPMs. I am having problems with a lot of water in my hull after a day out and my guess is that the clean out plugs are leaking. Which I assume would also lead to a loss in performance. I just dropped it off at the dealer to see what they say.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before you took it in did you check the oil level? It appears at times they will over fill it at the dealer during prep.

Was 7400 RPM's on both engine's? Was your Bimini up?

You mention "clean out plugs" what are you specifically referring to? The ones in the the top of the platform for the impellers? If so why would think that? Are you having alot of water wash over the platform during your outing? Also it could be coming in from the anchor locker drain.

Finally, where is the water? Engine compartment, Ski Locker, only in the keel drain plug or in more than one area? How much water is coming out? 1 gal. 10 gal. 50 gal.?

Let us know what the dealer said.

DanP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before you took it in did you check the oil level? It appears at times they will over fill it at the dealer during prep.

Was 7400 RPM's on both engine's? Was your Bimini up?

You mention "clean out plugs" what are you specifically referring to? The ones in the the top of the platform for the impellers? If so why would think that? Are you having alot of water wash over the platform during your outing? Also it could be coming in from the anchor locker drain.

Finally, where is the water? Engine compartment, Ski Locker, only in the keel drain plug or in more than one area? How much water is coming out? 1 gal. 10 gal. 50 gal.?

Let us know what the dealer said.
I did not check the oil level

One engine runs a little higher than the other, so I usually adjust it so they are the same so it was 7400 on both, yes bimini up.

Yes the impeller clean out ports. Mine are always completely full of water, and the platform area above them isn't sealed all the way around. If I put water on that platform some runs down the drain as it should, some runs directly into the muffler area. When I left the dock yesterday I made sure they were dry. Lake was like glass, took a very short ride and came to a slow stop to make sure there was no wash. Hopped back there and opened the hatch and they were completely full. I think they're pushing water upward when I'm in motion and it's running into that muffler area. I also assume this because the bilge kicked on while running, not while I was sitting anchored for hours.

I measured right around 4 gallons the time I measured, and the last 2 times were at least that much.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The clean out ports will typically always be full of water usually.

Rockfords Fosgate

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a 2020 AR210 also, just passed about 11 hours on it. Top speed I've seen is 41, with 3 of us onboard and a full tank of gas on a flat lake yesterday I was running 35-39 MPH around 7400 RPMs. I am having problems with a lot of water in my hull after a day out and my guess is that the clean out plugs are leaking. Which I assume would also lead to a loss in performance. I just dropped it off at the dealer to see what they say.
There is a really good leak thread (sticky I think) that covers the usual suspects. I have the same issue as you and have pretty much narrowed it down to the jet port access hatch (rear transom / swim platform). If I use my hose and spray water in that area...it comes out my drain plug. I just haven't had the time to take it apart and seal it properly.

Prior to this, I also dropped my boat off at the Yamaha dealer for the same issue. They gave it a clean bill of health and said to add some petroleum jelly to the drain plug o-ring, as they though the water was entering through that. Total waste of time.

DanP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The clean out ports will typically always be full of water usually.
I could see them being full if you're on and off the swim deck or have water rolling up when you stop, but I don't think they should be allowing that much water out of the pump. Just my opinion from my jet ski days. Maybe they are designed that way and mine just isn't draining correctly.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is normal. Please see this thread were it is discussed.

Also they won't drain once water is in there. Pull you plugs. I usually do it at the lake once boat is out so that I am not bringing that lake water with me or forgetting and taking it to another lake.

DanP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even that thread says it shouldn't be coming up from the bottom. Based on my test yesterday, that is exactly what is happening.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I doubt that is where it is coming from on a new boat, but will definitely be interested on the dealers inspection and final results.