• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR240 2014 standing water issue in head

Anyone ever figure this out? My boat had always been stored under cover, but this past off season it sat in the driveway instead. I noted the head had water in it when I got it ready for season, and assumed it was due to rain water. I dried it out and put in in the boat lift (under cover). Noticed this weekend it had 3 inches in the head again. All the drains are open that I am aware of. The ski locker has just a hint of wetness, the engine bay has maybe a half an inch in it. I pulled the plug and just have a dribble coming out. No visible water in fuel compartment.

Is there anyway to manually pump this water out? My trailer is in storage, so I don't have a way to pull it out and park it on a hill.

Well, let us just reason through a few bits of this.

Water seeks its own level. So if @The6caseys drilled holes and water came up through them, there must have been water above the level of the floor of the head compartment. Otherwise, it could not have come up through the drilled holes.

Further, if memory serves, the ski locker is lower in the boat than the head compartment. Certainly the plug for it is farther aft. Which then begs the question: was your ski locker plug in or out? If it was out and if water did not come up from there, we can derive that there was no fluid communication between where ever the water was and the ski locker drain. If it was in, then that is an unknown (for the moment).

But it is relatively well known that if you have water in the ski locker and open the plug, it will drain to the bilge (lower, below the engines) and ultimately out the aft bilge plug outside the boat. So, had the ski locker plug been in, had there been fluid communication between the area below the head and the area near the ski locker drain, that water would have been filling the lower bilge (and up into the engine compartment through the massive port aft of the engines) to a level that was higher than the level of the floor of the head compartment. Methinks you would have noticed that...

So then we can deduce that @MrMoose must be correct (something we could have deduced from his prior posts, but this deduction is much more fun): the only way that there could be water coming up from the holes is if there is no fluid communication between the area below the head and the remainder of the bilge.

We also know that the hull is not only self-bailing, but also unsinkable (it has been reported from tragic experiences that the boat will fill to just below the gunnels and will simply not sink below that). It has been reported this is accomplished with foam, and, in fact, if the bilge drains as we would expect it should, foam would be about the only way to accomplish such a feat (as the fiberglass is heavier than water, and if there is no air trapped between the hulls in an airtight manner, well, then the puppy would sink). So we know there is a flotation stuff of probably foam between the hulls.

Which means that there is indeed trappage of water in the forward part of the boat in between the hulls. QED.

P.S. The fixing thereof is left as an exercise to the reader. But as a hint, do you think going in from the anchor locker with a fish tape down amidships would work?
So completely different topic..new to forum have a 2012 242 limited s need to know where to find the holding tank for my rear transom shower..thanks!

Back