• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Water in clean out port?

Dogsluvtrux

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So complete newbie question here…Is there supposed to be water in the clean out port above the access plus?

We bought a 2021 SX190 and put it in last weekend. Couple of runs around the lake to get used to steering/handling struggled to get to 38mph with just me and 1/2 tank of fuel. It seemed like it was missing 5-10 mph on the top end. It was a little windy but not horrible, weather was coming in so I put it on the lift and went back to the farm for the week. This AM went out again, calm glassy water and 37-38 was top speed on both boat and phone GPS. Little bit of snooping around the site and it seemed like the first step was to open up the clean out port to see if something was trapped or wrapped around the shaft that might be causing cavitation and I was a little surprised to see the access port was completely filled with water…boat was out of the water, hanging in the lift.

Is that normal? It feels like that should be a tight seal to prevent it from sucking in air. Thanks in advance!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So complete newbie question here…Is there supposed to be water in the clean out port above the access plus?

We bought a 2021 SX190 and put it in last weekend. Couple of runs around the lake to get used to steering/handling struggled to get to 38mph with just me and 1/2 tank of fuel. It seemed like it was missing 5-10 mph on the top end. It was a little windy but not horrible, weather was coming in so I put it on the lift and went back to the farm for the week. This AM went out again, calm glassy water and 37-38 was top speed on both boat and phone GPS. Little bit of snooping around the site and it seemed like the first step was to open up the clean out port to see if something was trapped or wrapped around the shaft that might be causing cavitation and I was a little surprised to see the access port was completely filled with water…boat was out of the water, hanging in the lift.

Is that normal? It feels like that should be a tight seal to prevent it from sucking in air. Thanks in advance!
Totally normal.

water isn't leaking from the pump, it's leaking in through the cleanout tray drain as the waves come up and hit the transom, then draining back into the cleanout port. Won't hurt a thing and isn't going to mess with your speed.

What revs are you getting at WOT? Should be up around 7,600 or so. If you're getting full revs, and it's not cavitating (you'll hear it if it is), then you can try some other mods like an L13 cone, sealing the intake tunnel to get the speed up. I typically get high 30's to low 40's at WOT. Has to be a lightly loaded, cool/dry day, with light chop to get to 42. More often than not, it's close to 39-41 with the family and gear aboard. The post '20 hull is a shade slower than the pre '20 hull, so your 38 isn't far off. Some tweeks and you might get a few more mph.

Search around for threads by @swatski He did a TON of tuning and mods to his SX190. Managed to get it into the low 50's if I remember right, but it involved some extensive mods to the impeller and nozzle, a tune on the engine to open up more revs, and generally poor performance getting on plane. But, he made it!

Dogsluvtrux

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Appreciate the reply! And glad to hear it.

It’s not cavitating other than a slight bit going from a standstill to WOT, if I roll into it a bit it disappears. WOT RPM is 7600 +/-. I did put on Thrust Vectors & Lateral Thrusters in an attempt to shorten the learning curve coming from an I/O. Currently negotiating with my wife about stereo / subs…but may need to put some $$$ in the budget for a cone.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find your owners manual, and locate the page referencing how to check your oil. This isn't your car, so check the recommendation there before you do anything that follows.

Now that you have the manual's method, check your oil level and verify that it's 2/3 to 1/2 full. If it's higher than that (FULL full), remove some until you are at 2/3 or less.

It won't get you 10mph, but it's a definite power sapper, and will be a noticeable improvement if the dealer overfilled it

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And also be sure to drain those cleanouts whenever you plan on leaving the boat for any length of time. A good spray of silicone spray and re-insert them, or leave them out (but remember to reinstall before going out again)

Good plug maintenance will keep you off the "oops my cleanout is stuck" threads.