• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ar240 Bimini top?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha!

It's been a while since I've been on here. Summer is almost back! I dropped my Bimini canvas off at my buddies shop last week. Having him make a complete new one in black. I'm very hopeful he can make it a perfect fit with my new forward extensions. If so, I can have him build more if anyone is interested. I can also bend the SS extension rods for you and ship it all. Not trying to start a business doing this lol but I don't mind helping fellow boaters. It truly made a big difference.

Side note: Booked a house in Exuma for mid July! Dallas, TX to Exuma coming up. Two boats and 9 good friends.
I'm in, too (for the extention bars and whole new extended canvas).
Let us know what can you do!

--

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes me too will like to change the bimini top color to match the inside of the boat please let me know.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a group buy then! :cool:[flag]

Krats

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update on the bimini from the water...

So excited about it I had to stop and post about it. It works great, very stable at max speed (50 mph) View attachment 80532

Hey @Brandon240 any news on possibly having extra tops as you designed here. Originally I thought about just buying 18" straight extenders for the existing front bars and keeping the originals so it keeps the angle for high speeds. Anyway and either way I'm in need of a top so I thought I'd start with you.

Thanks

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
edit: note I'd also love to do the forward extension if your guy ever kept the template.

I did something similar two years ago. (also 2019). I then never used it again because the pvc poles were a PITA to mess with. We now have a young infant/toddler on board and need more shade once it warms up. Glad I found this thread. I'll probably pinch a few ideas and modify my original design. Will post here each iteration. original: 39 dollar 8'x12' shade from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZGQWBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
(ha, amazon says I bought it may 29/2019).
and maybe 20 bucks in PVC and cheap ratchet straps from lowes.

next version: telescoping poles from lowes. (need ~10' each side, and 9' or so crossbar).
These will collapse and be able to be put away much better. (I found some that claim 4' to 12').
I also need to find a way to attach/break down the cross bar portion. The cross bar is not optional because I dont have the rod holders. so the poles by themselves will fall over, even with the straps (not enough lateral force, only compression on the pole). i need a strap point 2' further out from the boat on each side to provide lateral stability better, or teh cross bar. This lateral stability issue is why I never tried to drive with it out.
I did think about X'ing the straps, but then swim deck access is limited. (and we do a LOT of cove swimming).

anotehr solution would be a fourth cross bar, 2' lower from the other. essentially stiffening the entire frame.

IMG_2609.jpgIMG_2611.jpg

BHudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everybody,

This is my first post so I hope I don't mess it up haha.

I know this is an old post but I may have a way to help other people with the small Ar240 bimini issue.

I myself was also trying to figure out a way to extend mine because the shade coverage sitting in the driver seat was not the greatest.

So, I decided to try something. I took my bimini canvas off and took it to a local upholstery shop and had them add 18 inches to it. I had them add it a couple inches in front of the hole for the tow point. Then I went to a local metal distributor and bought 3/4 inch stainless steel tubing 1/8 inch thick for the new longer supports. Figured the new longer supports would need to be quite a bit stronger so that's why I chose the thicker SS material. It fit the support holes in the tower perfect. I added a slight bend to them and still kept clearance for my 6'2" height so I wouldn't forget and hit my head. It doesn't fix sun from the side but it's a nice addition when the sun is straight up.

Total cost $250. Cheap fix for the less than adequate top.

View attachment 80486 View attachment 80487 View attachment 80488
Do you have any dimensions on the bend in your modified tubes? How far from the tower is the bend? How much did you bend it?

How has your mod held up over time?

Would you do anything different?

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had my Mother in Law and wife extend ours last year. I purchased new poles online and cut them to length.
The only issue I've had is that i used to leave the bimini to/from launch as one less thing to mess with. But one windy day it bent my poles completely and dorkfished the bimini cover. I've pushed the bars straight but you would not believe the force required to bend the poles like they were.
I have also noticed that on a windy day on the lake, if i'm going too fast and the wind is the right way, it moves a LOT. Most likely why the original bimini is not as long. The added shade has been great though.

It took them about 3 hours with a "heavy duty" sewing machine I bought on amazon. (one of the main brands) but when done they'd broken several needles and it kept jumping timing. My MIL knew a local shop and took the machine in to them. They said it happens all the time and if she'd used her older model she'd probably have had much less issues (her machine looks identical but was not labeled Heavy duty so we elected to buy one to use). They also stated had we gone to them, they could have sold us a more robust machine for much cheaper than the amazon machine. So YMMV.

topdown.jpgTOP UP.jpg

BHudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had my Mother in Law and wife extend ours last year. I purchased new poles online and cut them to length.
The only issue I've had is that i used to leave the bimini to/from launch as one less thing to mess with. But one windy day it bent my poles completely and dorkfished the bimini cover. I've pushed the bars straight but you would not believe the force required to bend the poles like they were.
I have also noticed that on a windy day on the lake, if i'm going too fast and the wind is the right way, it moves a LOT. Most likely why the original bimini is not as long. The added shade has been great though.

It took them about 3 hours with a "heavy duty" sewing machine I bought on amazon. (one of the main brands) but when done they'd broken several needles and it kept jumping timing. My MIL knew a local shop and took the machine in to them. They said it happens all the time and if she'd used her older model she'd probably have had much less issues (her machine looks identical but was not labeled Heavy duty so we elected to buy one to use). They also stated had we gone to them, they could have sold us a more robust machine for much cheaper than the amazon machine. So YMMV.

View attachment 181057View attachment 181056
Thanks for the info! Did you use the heavy walled stainless tubing...0.12 or 1/8th inch wall? Would you consider a shorter extension...maybe a 12 inch extension instead of 18 inches. You would lose some shade but gain some strength. Your pics look great!

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I bought: (I paid $32 each last year.)
I would worry that thicker tubing would make the cover rip in the case of a bad wind.
But I did think about it. The problem is that going thicker makes the price go up substantially.
I had already spent nearly $200 at lowes trying to find poles that would work diameter wise before i finally gave up and ordered the below.

(0.083" wall)
tubes.JPG

(These are 0.12" wall). so almost 50% thicker.
1656001724750.png

BHudson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I bought: (I paid $32 each last year.)
I would worry that thicker tubing would make the cover rip in the case of a bad wind.
But I did think about it. The problem is that going thicker makes the price go up substantially.
I had already spent nearly $200 at lowes trying to find poles that would work diameter wise before i finally gave up and ordered the below.

(0.083" wall)
View attachment 181080

(These are 0.12" wall). so almost 50% thicker.
View attachment 181081
Perfect, thanks for the link to the tubing.