• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

AR250 top speed and cruising speed

Found this thread via google search.
There's an AR250 for sale here locally and I was curious about performance...

Honestly I'm shocked these boats are not faster, given the jet drive.
Are they governed down or limited by Yamaha ? I would think 60-65mph would be effortless for this kind of boat. If this is the norm, I apologize for my ignorance... I am new to the boating world.

My 97 Chapparal 2330 only has a 260hp Chevy 350 and will hit 48mph pretty consistently on flat water. Big blocks in my boat are 60+.

Just wondered if there is more in these Yamahas before I go shopping for one. Wife and I really dig these things... but if they are no faster than my 20+ year old Chaparral, it will be difficult to justify. The wife and I both like going fast once in awhile. Even at 54 years old... we still like the adrenaline rush. lol

Are they governed down or limited by Yamaha ? I would think 60-65mph would be effortless for this kind of boat. If this is the norm, I apologize for my ignorance... I am new to the boating world.

My 97 Chapparal 2330 only has a 260hp Chevy 350 and will hit 48mph pretty consistently on flat water. Big blocks in my boat are 60+.

Just wondered if there is more in these Yamahas before I go shopping for one. Wife and I really dig these things... but if they are no faster than my 20+ year old Chaparral, it will be difficult to justify. The wife and I both like going fast once in awhile. Even at 54 years old... we still like the adrenaline rush. lol

It won't be faster. It will probably accelerate a lot quicker though. Honestly though if top speed is your reason for upgrading your boat, a Yamaha is not right for you.

I agree with you dragracer. You would think 50mph would be effortless but it's not. Boat is more of a ultimate cruise rider. There smooth and break the waves with ease. I have convinced myself that 46mph is fine as my Ar250 top speed and that is good enough. She drinks plenty of gas and can't imagine what it would be like at 60mph! Think I would need a 100 gallon tank if I wanted those speeds. But then gas at $4.00 gallon for 100 gallons. Ugh!! It's a definitely a change but this boat allows us to do so much more than our other boats and is quite comfortable.

47 with two adults two kids and Bimini on. About 40% gas.

A HO ski tops out at 60ish, weighing less than a grand, an ar250 is more than 2 times the weight per engine. So 45 to 50 is all you get

No mods on my 2015 AR240 and it consistently hits 49 at top speed. Last week with 5 in the boat and 50% fuel. When it was new it would creep up to 50 but after a few months 49 was as high as I could get it. It doesn’t matter if I have 2 in the boat or 6. ??‍♂️??‍♂️

No mods on my 2015 AR240 and it consistently hits 49 at top speed. Last week with 5 in the boat and 50% fuel. When it was new it would creep up to 50 but after a few months 49 was as high as I could get it. It doesn’t matter if I have 2 in the boat or 6. ??‍♂️??‍♂️
Have you checked your throttle stops to make sure you're actually getting WOT? I lost a bit of top end and checked the cables - they stretched a bit from new and needed a couple turns of the adjuster to get back to full WOT stop.

The wife and I both like going fast once in awhile. Even at 54 years old... we still like the adrenaline rush. lol
If speed is your thing, you should be looking at models built for top speed - hull design, construction, and strength are paramount when you get to speeds over 60 on water. Jet pumps are not the most efficient for top speed, but they're great for acceleration, light weight, and no props to gouge yourself. For us the big two tier swim platform is a major factor in buying a jet too. Everywhere we go we get compliments on it.

If speed was our main concern, we would have bought a Liberator 22 to run 100mph+
:)

My 212 boggies but getting to this speed bimini need to be down and nobody in the bow. Once the lake cools down I bet she will go faster. 20210924_124850.jpg

My 212 boggies but getting to this speed bimini need to be down and nobody in the bow. Once the lake cools down I bet she will go faster.
Check your throttle sensors for cable slack - I see 7500rpm on the port side in your pic where mine will hit 7600 on both. Best speed is 54.4mph with 2 adults and 1/2 tank of fuel, bimini closed, air temp 80. 52mph is typical with 3-4 adults, but 99% of the time we keep it under 45mph since the bimini is open.

Can anyone please post a picture with the bimini top open with the AR250? I would love to see size, look etc. Sorry if there is one on the forum somewhere. If anyone could provide link if so would be gratetful.

My wife likes the SX for general boating but I want to get at least AR with tower. Either that or we will get one more SX before getting an AR or jump up to juicy models in 5-10 years. Decisions decisions. . .

Can anyone please post a picture with the bimini top open with the AR250? I would love to see size, look etc. Sorry if there is one on the forum somewhere. If anyone could provide link if so would be gratetful.

My wife likes the SX for general boating but I want to get at least AR with tower. Either that or we will get one more SX before getting an AR or jump up to juicy models in 5-10 years. Decisions decisions. . .

Attachments

• FF1431FE-0728-48A3-8C93-A4E376854823.jpeg
    FF1431FE-0728-48A3-8C93-A4E376854823.jpeg
    833.2 KB · Views: 12
Beautiful thank you for these.

I think my wife likes the SX bimini because it goes back further over the rear seats. At least the 2014 did. Really appreciate this.

Would you buy this all over if given the chance or rather have upgraded to the other models?

Beautiful thank you for these.

I think my wife likes the SX bimini because it goes back further over the rear seats. At least the 2014 did. Really appreciate this.

Would you buy this all over if given the chance or rather have upgraded to the other models?
If it were me I’d buy the AR over the SX again. The tower is nice for mounting things on, the Bimini doesn’t get in the way if it’s not opened, when it comes to resell I think most people prefer the AR. But I don’t know. I’ve heard people who bought the SX wish they would’ve got the AR but I’ve never heard anyone buy the AR wishing they bought the SX.

With a 1 year old this summer, worried about A using the boat enough, but B when we do go out, sun cover.

Will look into rigging some sort of bimini extension for the rear when we are anchored or something. Baby boat naps are key. . .

I would definitely purchase the AR again. Love the tower. Versus upgraded Yamaha boats it is really personal opinion. For our family I would not change. YMMV. The added features were not something we felt we would use. We have over 100 hours after 2 years and not once have we looked back and wished we had purchased a different model. But that is just our family. There engines with more HP, drive models for moving around the dock easier, better stereos, increased lighting different colors, and wake modes, etc. Get the things that are important to you and your family. The more you like it the more you will use it.

Back