• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bad Clean Out Plug

Jets4Fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi Guys!

I haven't posted here before but wanted to share my super exciting weekend with you all. We have a 2012 242 Limited S with about 160 hours on it. I really hadn't any idea on what was going on and proceed back to shore to find the boat almost filled with water. The port side clean out plug was dislodged and the tube was caved in. The port side engine cut out during this and yes it filled with water also. I had some problems with the plugs the day before but really didn't know this could happen. Kinda figured out the issue with the plugs and will be doing the rebuild on them. The problem I am having is the port engine now will not even turn over. I have removed all spark plugs and drained out the water from there and pumped all of the oil out of the engine. Removed the intake and cleared out the head and intake of any water also. Has anyone on here have some advice on what to do next? The port rpm gauge is also acting different, when you try to turn over the engine I get just a click from the starter. During the start up on the gauge it runs up to 4000 rpms and the stops there shortly and then goes to the full start up procedure but still wont let the engine try to turn over. Please let me know if this is something any of you guys can help me with.

Thanks,

You say you drained the water...Did you try to crank it with no spark plugs on, so all the water gets pushed out? Is it to the point that no more water comes out of spark plug holes when it cranks?

This won't help you this time, and for that I am sorry, but a High Water alarm is a great investment going forward. Float alerts and starts bilge pumps when it is triggered, and you have a chance to investigate early on.

Yes I pulled all the oil/water out of the cylinders, valves and oil pan using my oil change pump. Can’t get the starter to turn over to see if the engine will crank seams like the computer is not letting me even try. Going to pull the start out later today to make sure it is still working. For it was submerged for some time. The port gauge is still acting funny. Is there a way to reboot the system short of unplugging everything (which I have already done).
Yes a warning light would of been ideal and will be installed ASAP after I figure out if the engine is still working or not.

E Z locks for future reference

I'm sorry to say, if it clicks hard, and the other engine turns fine with the same battery, there is a chance the motor is locked up. ON my old seadoo you could spin the PTO by hand to check . I'm not sure how to spin this engine by hand, but you should find out how, and quick so you can check if it's not locked up, so you can hurry up to fix it. Water in the engines for hours is not so good, so you are on a doomsday countdown to get this thing started in the next hours to maintain a long life (assuming it's not locked up, as in something big broke when it could not compress the cylinder at speed)

I saw Jeff is awake!... Any thoughts on how to easily tell if it's locked up or if it's the starter not wanting to turn over ? Anything you can grab by hand and spin at? Best of luck. If you have a Yamaha Jet ski shop nearby (or extremely awesome dealer service department) that you can phone and get somebody on it TODAY that may save your engine if you can't get it started on your own in the next few hours.

Yep that’s my fear that it has been destroyed. I can’t seam to figure any other way to hand crank the engine.

It's also possible the starter solenoid has been ruined. Even though it clicks that only indicates the low current 12v side of the circuit is working. I would make sure the spark plugs are OUT, try to turn the engine by hand (impeller or impeller shaft). If that works CAREFULLY run a jumper from + side of battery to the starter. Disco the ground battery cable first. After you connect the jumper. Then connect the ground wire to the negative battery terminal. Hopefully your engine will spin freely.

No insult intended but is the clean out hatch closed & latched when you got no action from your starter motor? As a safety it won't turn with the hatch open. You also didn't mention if this is fresh or salt water.

You also mentioned your other yach is running funny. I had the same problem. You most likely have water in several of your electrical connectors. I would open all of the connectors in the back of your boat (one at a time) make sure they are completely dry, spray them with an electrical drying agent and put them back together. I found water in a few of mine and I never had a flooded engine compartment so I know you have water there. You will probably have one or two hatch covers to remove to access the wire bundles you need to check. Someone with your year/model boat should be able to advise on their locations. Mine are under the port & starboard storage lockers on the aft bulkhead.

Yes I did make sure the rear hatch was closed during the attempted start up. Tried to pull the starter out and trued to spin the flywheel but couldn’t get it done. Those dam bolts are in some kind of magical place. I do have mechanical break down coverage insurance but not sure if the engines are included. Thanks for all the advice I will keep you posted how this works out.
I also did pull all the connectors apart today to alow them to dry. Also sprayed a ton of wd40 down the cylinders to try buying some time. Going to shoot for tomorrow but the boat is currently out side and the dam mosquitoes are vicious here after work.

Did you get any water out of the connectors? Was it salt water or fresh.

No water out of the upper area connectors that are by the fuses and computer. Some out of a few smaller ones and some out of the throttle body (that is considering). The boat is fresh water in MN

There is a vibration dampener coupler on the back of the engine just in front of the intermediate bearing where you can turn the engine by hand with the plugs removes .

What he said. I used a rubber strap thing to make it easier to turn. Not the best picture but you can see the coupler.
20180115_161136.jpg

Yes thanks guys. I ended up pulling the starter out and trying to turn the engine by the flywheel. No luck Going to pull the whole engine at this point my guess is number 4 is bent cause that cylinder was almost completely full of water.

Cool I could not locate a picture of it, Make a modified strap wrench using a pipe wrench and a flat fan belt. guess we posted at the same time .

Back