• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ballast pump or impeller shot in 212x - help?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While your bags are empty, check where the intakes sit, if those are on top it may take a bit if prodding to prime the pump.
You can hear the difference in sound and volume of sound when the pump runs dry, it should not run dry longer than few seconds or the rubber impeller gets ruined.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for trying to help Swatski but I can't find the intakes to the bags. As mentioned in my posts I couldn't reach all the way back to where the bags connect to the hoses. Now with the bags empty I still can't reach to the back of them. Nor can I find any access from the engine compartment or back where the plugs are. Also I do not know what you mean by "prodding" to prime the pump. Does this mean pushing on the bags when I hit the ballast switch to fill?

But I do sort of feel the pump has "run dry" by the sound it is making. Bottom line I did get water out but pump made weird noises. I am guessing this might have been the left over air in the bags. This weekend or maybe one of these weeknights I will see if the pump draws water in without the funky sound.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also I do not know what you mean by "prodding" to prime the pump.
I meant moving the bags to induce water into the pump to "prime" it, those pumps do not move air very efficiently and burn the impellers.

You should be able to disconnect your ballast bags to remove them, there are situations which may require that.
For example, many of us take them out into dry storage for the winter.

--

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for trying to help Swatski but I can't find the intakes to the bags. As mentioned in my posts I couldn't reach all the way back to where the bags connect to the hoses. Now with the bags empty I still can't reach to the back of them. Nor can I find any access from the engine compartment or back where the plugs are.
You have an inspection cover on the port side wall in the engine bay. It's a round flat cover, black, with stainless screws. It's part #20 in the pic below. I replaced that cover with a hatch with removable lid, so I wouldn't have to unscrew it every time. On the starboard side, I cut a hole and installed the same hatch. Careful on the starboard side as there is wiring behind the wall. You won't have any access on that side right now, but you definitely have the inspection cover on the port side, assuming this is a factory 2014 212x.

thegrapeguy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks Scottie - this is very helpful. Will report back. Thanks Swatski as well!

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When I bought my 16 212x the pump module was bad first day in the water and would only fill and not drain so I installed a manual dump valve into the bilge just in case it happened again. You can see it in the upper line to the pump. Just got a tee and a ball valve. You have to install it on the bag side of the pump other wise it won’t drain.
And when I upgraded my port side bag with a custom bag from wake makers I had a hard time getting to the release at the back of the bag, so i removed the hose from across the back of the transom and pulled it thru. 😀A30BCC07-393A-412C-8772-0B29B00977A4.jpeg0C059688-A76C-4B5A-8EC9-32234D01C136.jpeg

212xcarbon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mustangswan
How much was that custom bag if you don't mind me asking? Did you have to give them dimensions or do they have it on file?

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mustangswan
How much was that custom bag if you don't mind me asking? Did you have to give them dimensions or do they have it on file?
212xcarbon
The price was not that bad for a custom bag, like $300-350 I think. I gave them all the dimensions which I have the final cad file from wakemakers saved if your interested. Even with the bag ID #, wakemakers will say they cannot find any info because they don’t want to say if will fit your boat when it may or may not. The only change I would make would be to move the overflow vent forward.
I also added a second pump/switch and timer module to control it and a second water intake to the back of the boat, so I truly have a duel system. Works great. The custom bag is 1000 pounder, fit the port side really well. You will also need to move the battery. I moved it straight forward into the small compartment on the port side.Will try and post some pictures

212xcarbon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah that doesn't seem bad at all. I have 2 batteries, think it would still fit? Assuming the 1 pump from factory wouldn't work well with 2 different sized bags.

Mustangswan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It would not fit with one battery back there. I designed it to fill the entire compartment. And for the first year I just ran one pump for both and it worked but wouldn’t recommend it. That was really a pain. But I can say I have a pretty nice surf wave can go rope less. All of took a bit of work to do but now that it’s done it was totally worth it. So my set up is the 1000lb on the port side. Stock 400lb on the starboard side and a 800lb on the upper swim deck. I also use a wakewedge.
7D9F7D90-9EA8-499D-9EBF-EE56E6D3D9B0.jpegD754CA76-7C56-4D0C-9783-10030C335424.jpegD27B3A98-6FF3-470B-A046-D96AC523C1DA.jpegD6C63471-1B47-4370-9BCC-0B77A8C2B5E6.jpegA32DB241-1F39-4F0F-906D-AA550B6EA017.jpegFAAF79EE-7C61-4978-8D5D-F6100A595C5F.png83D19EA3-FE18-4119-8171-396F85889A26.png