• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery switch and DVSR

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wish I'd known this was the case, I could've saved $80 and bought the 5x, hooked it to battery 1 and it would've charged both. I do need to find a way to segregate these two so I can charge both when she's just sitting in my shop
There is a red wire in the dvsr that is specifically for this purpose.

Edit: this way there is no forgetting to flip a switch.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
There is a red wire in the dvsr that is specifically for this purpose.

Edit: this way there is no forgetting to flip a switch.
Cool, I'll have to look for this wire. I don't remember seeing it. I bought the boat used, needed to verify the switch was wired correctly, leading me down this rabbit hole.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yep, dropped that ground wire, the relay turned off and now have independent control. I found this little switch that I can literally stick on the side of the ACR and flip when I turn on the charger, or move the battery switch to any position. Even with the wire off, I can still use the "Battery 1&2" part of the switch to charge both while under way, correct?
That's correct. But you need to remember to turn back to 1 or you'll drain both batteries while floating.

A simple toggle switch to cut the black wire when you're at home is a better way than leaving the wire off.

Moving the red wire under the DVSR is the best way for automatic control with the battery switches. I was going to do that originally but it voids your warranty if something goes wrong. So I chose the simple route for me.
:)

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
That's correct. But you need to remember to turn back to 1 or you'll drain both batteries while floating.

A simple toggle switch to cut the black wire when you're at home is a better way than leaving the wire off.

Moving the red wire under the DVSR is the best way for automatic control with the battery switches. I was going to do that originally but it voids your warranty if something goes wrong. So I chose the simple route for me.
Why would this void the warranty?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Why would this void the warranty?
You're modifying the function of the DVSR. If you get it done by a qualified Yamaha tech, then it should be covered.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I called the company that makes the DVSR and they said the way I did it was fine. That red wire inside is for that purpose and it’s covered in their owners manual for the product.
That would be a chicken shit warranty denial but I suppose anything is possible these days.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I did it today...I cut the red wire loop and moved it to the battery switch. Works just how I need it now. Thanks for all the info guys

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I did it today...I cut the red wire loop and moved it to the battery switch. Works just how I need it now. Thanks for all the info guys
Good stuff...I may do that down the road if I end up going with a LiFePo4 house battery and a 2-bank lithium charger in the future.

Also I should clarify that my component warranty is still good for another year so I'm not doing anything that could be considered "tampering". Maybe for summer 2023 if I need to change batteries...

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good stuff...I may do that down the road if I end up going with a LiFePo4 house battery and a 2-bank lithium charger in the future.

Also I should clarify that my component warranty is still good for another year so I'm not doing anything that could be considered "tampering". Maybe for summer 2023 if I need to change batteries...
Do it... One one hand, you flip a switch and then flip your battery switch, or tie it to the battery switch and when you switch that it automatically goes with it. Batteries set to off, it keeps the relay off so I can use my 2 bank NOCO. Battery set to on any mode, the relay closes to charge both batteries when the current running battery hit 12.5v while running.

Eriejetboater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I installed a switch on the small black ground wire - “up” is running (DVSR active) “down” is charging. Pretty easy to remember since I need to go in there to access the battery switches anyway. I did this because I read that having DVSR active while charging could wear out the batteries prematurely (current going from one battery to the other constantly). I charge the batteries anytime I’m not using the boat, since the NOCO is designed to keep the batteries in tip-top shape.

Attachments

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I installed a switch on the small black ground wire - “up” is running (DVSR active) “down” is charging. Pretty easy to remember since I need to go in there to access the battery switches anyway. I did this because I read that having DVSR active while charging could wear out the batteries prematurely (current going from one battery to the other constantly). I charge the batteries anytime I’m not using the boat, since the NOCO is designed to keep the batteries in tip-top shape.
That's why I wired mine like I did. Now you cannot have the relay active and the charger on at the same time, unless you leave the battery switch on, which you really shouldn't. You should have the batteries off when charging, and that will automatically disable the DVSR