• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Be Prepared...I wasn't

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm totally not prepared. I have no spare on my trailer. But I do have AAA. Not sure.how much help they'd be. Did order a spare for the new Moomba.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I'm totally not prepared. I have no spare on my trailer. But I do have AAA. Not sure.how much help they'd be. Did order a spare for the new Moomba.
My boat insurance covers roadside service to change a tire but I would of had to have a spare tire for them to change. Couldn’t do this time. I’m prepared now.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My boat insurance covers roadside service to change a tire but I would of had to have a spare tire for them to change. Couldn’t do this time. I’m prepared now.
Shit good call. Yeah I'd be screwed. I'm just scared it would hurt the boat somehow. I really wish they came with a spare. As a new boat owner last year you are so overwhelmed the last thing you think about is anything on your trailer. When I ordered my moomba we essentially upgraded everything we could on the trailer lol.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
When traveling long distance I throw a floor jack, cordless impact and grease gun in the truck bed. Those tools and the spare were used twice on one tow to Florida.

Locally I expect to use the truck’s tools if needed.
You helped me change a spare once. I promptly bought an impact for my cordless tool set. Just buying and bringing is like insurance that i won't need it

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All great suggestions, one thing I would add to your emergency kits, especially for the long interstate tows, would be an infrared thermometer to check hub, wheel and tire temperatures. I check them at every stop when towing long distance. May be able to prevent an emergency repair by spotting a problem before it becomes inconveniently obvious.
Yeah that makes sense! I just walk around and touch/feel all tire, rim, and hubs at every stop. Makes your hands dirty.

I also pull and push on tiedowns, tongue, guide poles, fenders I'm sure some people pumping gas think I'm having some kind of altered mental status event. but I don;t care, after having had close calls with two different trailers in the past.

The current SHorlandr had the fender issues and was shaking off bolts, it's how @Majorsmackdown slashed his tires on a WA to FL trek, but wiht new brackets things seem okay.

--

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
One of prep steps I did was to remove and clean each lug stud and lug nut. Being used in salt water I didn't want to be changing a tire and something break. Stripped threads, galled threads, broken stud, broken breaker bar or broken socket.

Reminds me I need to check the grease in the hubs. I do not have a spare hub or bearing set. Nothing I can do if the axle breaks.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is the reasoning on carrying a grease gun for tow trip?

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
If you are asking me I don’t carry a grease gun with me. It has been a year since I checked the grease in the hubs and this thread reminded me to do so.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only carry a grease gun on the really long trips like 1000 miles or so each way. Haven't needed it yet, though. I guess if I detect a hub running a little hot, I would hit it with bit of grease to see if that cures it.

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
All great suggestions, one thing I would add to your emergency kits, especially for the long interstate tows, would be an infrared thermometer to check hub, wheel and tire temperatures. I check them at every stop when towing long distance. May be able to prevent an emergency repair by spotting a problem before it becomes inconveniently obvious.
I have had one for our travel trailer, and the boat for some time now. Didn’t even think to mention it!!!

Good call!!!

For those considering an infrared thermometer, either a tire or hub that is considerably warmer than the others, or extremely cool can be a sign of an issue. The cooler temp could indicate a brake not working at all...

In true JB.net fashion, this thread prompted a purchase of this little doodad.

DEEWAZ TPMS Solar Power with HD LCD Screen, Real-time Display 4 Tires' Pressure and Temperature (-40~80℃), Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 4pcs External Sensors (0~99PSI), 6 Alarm Modes Amazon.com: DEEWAZ TPMS Solar Power with HD LCD Screen, Real-time Display 4 Tires' Pressure and Temperature (-40~80℃), Wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 4pcs External Sensors (0~99PSI), 6 Alarm Modes: Automotive

I recently witnessed it in action on @jcyamaharider ’s trailer. :)
I have the TST 507 cap system for our travel trailer. So far it has worked great on our ~35’ ol rig.

Unfortunately they stated their cap sensors shouldn’t be submerged...

But they do have internal sensors that run $70/each.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find pretty consistently these hubs can use a bit of new grease every 1-2k miles.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That would explain bringing one on a longer pull. I like the IR thermometer idea to see if a wheel is hotter and in need of attention.