• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Before I am dropping $2500 on Stereo hardware...

Hezi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@Hezi you are correct the larger 7.7s sound better and I can confirm that they do fit with virtually zero modification, only a 3/4 spacer for the area in the bow, and slightly enlarged holes in the other areas.

On my first phase 1 audio build I also went with 8 MX 650s, not loud enough, so sold those and picked up 8 JL M770s...and a second 800/8 to double the power.

LOUD is an understatement, and rarely need to go past 80%.

@Mainah i have the dreded noise issue in my system and plan on having my installer give the HU ground trick a try, sounds like a winner, I have a ton of noise when its at zero voulme. Would love to make that disappear.

View attachment 84252 View attachment 84253 View attachment 84254 View attachment 84255
I searched the forums before deciding. Actually I put lots of time before coming up with my plan. I wish I knew this before. I already dropped so much on this system, I will keep it the way it is, but I think it is great you took the time to post this. I'm sure it'll help others that are doing their homework

Billp0806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting topic as I’ve just bought a “new to us” 2012 242 limited S. I’ve assumed the Aquatic AV equipment was OE when this boat was new. I need to replace a couple of the speakers and actually bought a couple of 6.5” as replacements but it seems the aquatics are 7.5”. I see a couple of posts on here that the speakers are being replace with 6.5”. How did you get these to work in existing speaker locations without having exposed screw holes and such? Would prefer to save some cash by using the 6.5” if possible as not many companies offer the 7.5 or 7.7. Help appreciated!

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wasnt aware of the stock speakers being larger than 6.5in, on both my 2012 242LS and my 2017 AR240 both were 6.5s, but in my AR I went with the larger speakers, for you if your going to run towers you can still go 6.5s but if you want to BANG then the 7.7s are the way to go IMHO...I started with the 6.5s then wanted it louder so sold 8 of them to a member here and bought 8 of the JL M770s.

JL Also sells some MX 770s that are a lil less than the Ms, and a few other brands make oversized speakers as well if you want larger, just make sure to have enough power to send them all.

Billp0806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought a pair of Kenwood 6.5 and the grill didn’t cover the existing screw holes. I need to replace all 6 speakers but didn’t want to spend $700 on speakers at this time. The grills on the aquatics measure 7.5” on the outside so I’m replacing the 2 speakers in worst shape with JL 770. Just reaching out to others to see what solutions may be out there. Thank you for the input. May try another brand of 6.5 to see how they fit.

Billp0806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wasnt aware of the stock speakers being larger than 6.5in, on both my 2012 242LS and my 2017 AR240 both were 6.5s, but in my AR I went with the larger speakers, for you if your going to run towers you can still go 6.5s but if you want to BANG then the 7.7s are the way to go IMHO...I started with the 6.5s then wanted it louder so sold 8 of them to a member here and bought 8 of the JL M770s.

JL Also sells some MX 770s that are a lil less than the Ms, and a few other brands make oversized speakers as well if you want larger, just make sure to have enough power to send them all.
Just pulled existing speaker which is an aquatic av model AQ-SPK7.5-S. I’m planning to replace with JL MX770 but now I’m concerned about power. I’m no electronics/stereo guy but I assume that since I’ve already been running 7-1/2” without added amp that I should be ok to run the JL without additional amp. Thoughts?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those stock speakers are better suited to not needing an amp, whereas the JL stuff will sound best when amplified.

You can start with the speakers and find a low costs amp that will suffice.

How many speakers do you plan to change?...that will dictate your amp choices and cost range.

Those MX770s will definitely sounds way better, especially amped, but there are other brands that sell oversized speakers for less, just cant comment on their build quality and longevity.

What other speakers do you plan on running....most of us have amps.pushing our speakers....it allows them to play at louder volumes but much less distortion, among other things.

Billp0806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My plan is to replace all 6 just not all at once. Not willing to drop $750 on just speakers right now and I plan to change the head unit in near future as well. The previous owner added a couple of Kicker tower speakers which are hooked up to a Rockville 6 ch amp. I believe I can add the speakers to this amp once I get them all installed without having to buy another amp? I haven’t decided if I’m going to add a subwoofer to the system.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gotcha....check with Odin @Earmark Marine he can likely give you a package deal on the speaker and HU, just tell him your plans and he can likely provide some solid knowledge and save you money. I bought all my M770s and 2 of my 4 amps from him, solid pricing (was so good I opted for the 4th amp), and AMAZING service and product knowledge.

I think if you got 1-2 pair of the MX770s and another rockville 6 ch amp and sub you would have a very solid system with plenty of output and not to bad of a bite out of your wallet....this stuff does costs and gets expensive, but you will not regret it once you get it how you like.

jetboatAg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Billp0806 I did the same thing as you...I bought a pair of Polk 6.5's and it wasn't until I pulled off one of the old Aquatic AV speakers that I realized it was a 7.5. I think the hole is going to be too big for the 6.5's. I'm not too concerned with big power or sound - just a clean sounding pair of speakers. The tweeter on one of the original speakers is mostly unglued from the woofer so it sounds horrible. I'm not really jazzed about the step up on price to the JL's and I'd like to find something better than the Aquatics. Anyone have suggestions?

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My experience in helping others with ground loop or popping sound issues with amps installed in the battery compartment says in that case new robust wire should be run to the helm for head unit. In other words what you did probally saved some headaches.
like the sub going "pop . . . . pop" a couple times when you key the ignition on by chance? I have that issue, and haven't figured out why. My amp is in the battery compartment and I have some cheap RCAs connecting it to the factory head unit. I haven't replaced everything else or added any other amps. Just a sub and a dedicated amp for that

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the popping when I tried to cheat the power up wire for the amp from my fuse box I put under the helm. After I switched to the wire from the helm that your suppose to use it stopped.