• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best anchor for sandy bottoms?

What is the best anchor for sand?

• Slide Anchor Box Anchor

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Fortress FX-7

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • Mantus Anchor

Votes: 22 26.5%

• Total voters

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good videos!
All I could think when you were putting the anchor together is, I'd probably be calling the police if some masked dude was at my Neigbors front door assembling some contraption.

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
for me the fortress anchor is been the worse anchor i had purchase ,that just me i ques

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lake ontario where I boat is mostly a sandy bottom with some mud in other places. I've tried a few different types of anchors and the Fortress has been the best one yet. The box anchor holds just as well as the fortress and the box anchor takes less scope BUT, it feels like you're pulling up 50 lbs when you drag that thing in.

The fortress weighs 4 lbs and the chain weighs 6 lbs, its much easier to handle. I threw it out in some pretty heavy winds (I think the forecast was 10 -30 mph) and it stuck no problem, held my boat in place. Since the weather was so bad and it was annoying, I didn't stay long so I can't comment on dragging, but it instantly stuck....

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
for me the fortress anchor is been the worse anchor i had purchase ,that just me i ques
I agree, although for sandy bottoms it is pretty good. The fortress/Danforth used to be the king of anchors but modern anchors are much better for all conditions.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lake ontario where I boat is mostly a sandy bottom with some mud in other places. I've tried a few different types of anchors and the Fortress has been the best one yet. The box anchor holds just as well as the fortress and the box anchor takes less scope BUT, it feels like you're pulling up 50 lbs when you drag that thing in.

The fortress weighs 4 lbs and the chain weighs 6 lbs, its much easier to handle. I threw it out in some pretty heavy winds (I think the forecast was 10 -30 mph) and it stuck no problem, held my boat in place. Since the weather was so bad and it was annoying, I didn't stay long so I can't comment on dragging, but it instantly stuck....
You have the best lake bottom for a fortress. They are best in sandy bottoms. Once a fortress bites into a sandy bottom they hold very well. They do well in certain soft mud bottoms too. In many other cases though the fortress can be very difficult to set. In some situations they won't work at all.

I had a 30' sailboat with two fortress anchors, one bow and one stern. the bow anchor was a 20 pounder with about 20 foot of chain. There were times when I spent over an hour trying to get that thing to hook up. All too often it would drag. One time my family and I woke up at 3 in the morning to find the boat laying at a 45 degree angle. The anchor had dragged and the tide went out. We had to wait hours to get the boat off the bottom. I finally gave those anchors away to other boaters and switched.

Today I use a 25# Richter but if I had issues (which I don't) I'd switch to a Mantus. I follow several cruising videos on youtube and those that switch anchors switch to the Mantus these days. They will pay a lot for a Mantus, and pay a hefty postage bill to have it shipped to remote places. Watching test videos of a Manuts on youtube is pretty convincing.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I go to Shell Island for day trips and nice weather that being said, a Danforth or traditional fluke anchor with some chain and enough SCOPE is more than adequate. I like a Bruce anchor also. I have a typical fluke for a bower, that fits in the bow locker and a small fluke that I cut off the ears so its small enough to store in wet locker that I deploy by hand.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
a Danforth or traditional fluke anchor with some chain and enough SCOPE is more than adequate.
I think the scope has been my problem. I have a fluke anchor that came with the boat and I use a Shore Spike off the stern. I typically have issues getting the fluke to set, but when it does it seems to hold fine.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
t being said, a Danforth or traditional fluke anchor with some chain and enough SCOPE is more than adequate. I l
I prefer Lysterine orange but go with what you like. :joyful:

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just got me a fx7 for 84 bucks. Checked Mantus prices at well over 200 for a 13lb one, decided on the fortress as I only boat in sand. Jet.com is selling the fx7s for cheap- if u sign up today for a free account u save 15% jus thought I'd share , a penny saved is a penny earned :)

Attachments

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip. Unless I am doing something wrong, the price has gone up. They are listed ~120 right now.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am always a little leery of the box/slide anchor from the thought of kids stepping on it and such.
I've often thought the opposite. o_O IF I'm going to step on an anchor (and I have :eek: ) I think I'd rather it be a Box than any other style. ;)

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got the fx7, had to trim off .5" of the slotted bar across the top. Fits like a glove now. Tried it in the sand Saturday. Hooked on first throw and held for 5 hours. Solid.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
For those of you that have the Fortress FX-7, what is the width of the flukes? The website has length but not width. The opening in my bow locker is only 10-1/2" wide.

I know I would need to trim the stock about an inch on both sides. Does that affect the performance of the anchor at all? What do you use to cut it?

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I honestly don't know why that top bar is so long, Must be so they can sell to more boats and then the owners trim to fit .

I used my cut off wheel then ground the edges down. Looks fine.

I think 10.5 might be pushing it for a fx7, I can't measure mine right now but my opening is full on a 242 and i only recall having small amount of bar left past the flukes. I'll measure tonight if no1 chimes in by then.

They do disassemble.... but that's annoying. Lol

OUT ON THE REEF

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
that boat looks like a Rocket ready to launch

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Well, I came across a deal I could not pass up. Jet.com is currently running a 25% off coupon, so I was able to pick up a Fortress FX-7 for $84. I guess I will give it a try.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the Yamaha 10lb. Anchor kit (danforth style) with my 17' ar240. I boat in Sandy and muddy bottoms here in swfl. My boat does not move even when I'm 50 yards off the beach in the gulf and the boat is a rocking from waves. Just remember to let out 4-5 times your depth in rope. Our system with myself and my boy is as follows:
1) I pick a spot that I want to anchor and check the depth.
2) Tell my boy to take out the anchor and set on the floor.
3) example depth, I tell him we're in 10' of water and I want him to take out 10 arm lengths of rope and then tie it off to the bow cleat.
4) I drive out 40 feet from our spot and have him drop anchor.
5) I put the boat in reverse moving slow and have him guide out the rope until it's all out from the tied cleat. At this point, I give the boat some reverse throttle and the anchor will catch and I can't power in reverse anymore.
6) kill engines you are now set.

To keep the stern from swinging, add an anchor to an opposite side stern cleat. If you do not want to get into the water when setting the stern, follow the steps above but add an extra 30' to the line. Toss the stern anchor out and tie it on the cleat with only 20' of line out. Go back to the bow anchor and untie it from the cleat and pull in that extra 30'. Doing this will now set your rear anchor. If you follow these steps YOUR BOAT WILL NOT MOVE.