• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Big engine problem

Charlie Tuna

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a Tango 2 + 2 240 hp Red boat in great general shape. Have had it for 6 years and it has run great. This year on the first ride of the year the engine threw a rod and put a hole in the engine block. The engine is toast. Has anyone experienced replacing the engine on one of these? Is it cost effective to do so. Should I just sell it for parts? I would love some suggestions on this. Thanks

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Did the same thing in 17 with my Mirage 240, had a head gasket leaking water into a cylinder and it rusted while not being used, when I did take it out it went off like a bomb when I kicked it in the ass. For me there was no question that I would rebuild, the boat is in too good of condition plus of all the boats I've had, I'm 73 and have had a few, this is my favorite. You can still get new or rebuilt long blocks, I got one from hinklemarine.com Isn't a cheap project so you need to think about if it is worth it to you, I was in over 5,000 by the time I was done. New block was 4100 plus shipping plus 500 core charge. They only want rebuildable blocks, WTF, if it was useable I wouldn't have been buying a new one. I also had the injectors cleaned[$120] all new oil lines, filters, plugs, fuel pump rebuild kit, and a few other things, it adds up.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
So @Charlie Tuna what did you decide big Tuna? Maybe Santa brought you a long block for your red water sleigh?

Charlie Tuna

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So @Charlie Tuna what did you decide big Tuna? Maybe Santa brought you a long block for your red water sleigh?
Santa did not bring me a long block for Christmas. I'm very upset. I have not decided what to do. I don't think I will spend the money on a new block and rebuild. I am thinking of just selling the boat for parts. Too bad. I love this boat.

Blkrvrbart

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Well, I bought this ‘01 with an engine problem. I was not told it had thrown a rod through the block, and couldn’t see it right then, so I’ll lose my core money like @Bilmon but when it’s done it’ll be worth a little more than I’ll have in it, since I pulled the motor and am doing 98% of the work myself. I’ll have somebody check it over and set the carbs when I’m done, but it really is a simple system to work on, and everything so far parts wise is available. Once it’s through the break-in period it’s pretty simple to maintain. The rest of mine is in great shape, so I hope to get the rest of my boating years out of this one. I’ll keep posting on the strand I started about mine with as much info as I can bore you all with. To better days ahead!

Charlie Tuna

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for progress.