• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Big Majors Cay - The Exhumas

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just toss in another weeks vacation and you could make it to the Turks! Soooo close....!! (it probably seems closer seeing how I am just looking at a map) Can't wait to read all about this amazing trip, assuming it all shakes out.

haha...it does look close on the map. You would be a little over half way there. Now if we could take a full month of work :)

Here's a neat site to calculate distance. www.distancefromto.net

upload_2015-10-22_19-43-19.png

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doing this in 2016 is definitely viable. With that said, lodging near the top of the Exumas down to and including Staniel Cay is either limited, super expensive, or already reserved. I know at this point I've become almost annoying about trying to make this happen next year but I just can't move past it. I really think the betterma option is to take it all the way down to Grand Exuma Island. It's only another 50 miles south of Staniel. If you do that, you have access to much more lodging options then what you have on the upper half. In addition to increased lodging options, you would have easy access to food, airport, etc.

I personally would fly my wife and daughter directly from Atlanta to Georgetown via Delta. Georgetown is located on Grand Exuma and is the Capital. American Airlines also flies directly to Georgetown out of Miami.
See for me I have no desire to go to Great Exuma at that point you have missed all the real fun of the remote parts of the Exuma's. There are more options to stay down there but would rather spend more and stay in the more remote parts then go to the Nassau of the Exumas ;)

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
See for me I have no desire to go to Great Exuma at that point you have missed all the real fun of the remote parts of the Exuma's. There are more options to stay down there but would rather spend more and stay in the more remote parts then go to the Nassau of the Exumas ;)
I can understand that. It was a concern of mine as well. However, I don't think it's nearly as commercialized as Nassau. They do have a sandals resort on the island, but there's certainly no Atlantis, Marriott resort, etc. It's still pretty remote and of course there are a lot of other really remote islands just north that you could explore fairly easily. I was kind of thinking 4 days to travel down and 4 days to travel back home (time there TBD). If so, you would spend a good amount of time around all the Exuma islands traveling back and forth. I believe they have another pig island toward the south near Grand Exuma as well. Everybody has heard of Nassau, not many Georgetown. For me personally it's kind of the best of both worlds especially with having the family fly in.

Hopefully, they'll be enough interest to make it happen in 2016. I know Josie would love to be able to play with Elizabeth as she reminds me of her name every time she watches the Bimini videos :).

myblueheaven305

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The Exhumas come up frequently in our Bimini trip planning so I thought I would start a thread specifically on this amazing future destination. This trip would be 226 each way from Bimini. My guess is that the trip would require approximately 270 gallons of fuel for a 230 / 240 sized boat. At $6 a gallon this is over $1600 of fuel.

My family has a desire to go see the pigs on Big Majors Cay at some point in the future. Doing so would be dependent on excellent weather and carrying extra fuel.

Big Majors Cay is 226 miles from Bimini with two approximately 90 mile hops making up the majority of the distance. This would involve stopping at Chub Cay in the Berry Islands and Nassau along the way. My guess is that Bimini to Nassau could be a one day trip covering 135 miles in approximately 5 hours (6 to 11). Then spend the afternoon and evening in Nassau and cover the remaining 90 miles the next day. That evening would be spent at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club.

Chub Cay, Nassau and Staniel Cay all have fuel available and we would need to refuel at each. Nassau has groceries so we could pick up extra food to cut down on how much we needed to carry.

Here are Navoincs distances for the trip

Bimini to Chub Cay

Nassau to Big Majors Cay

This is Bimini to Andros

And Andros to Nassau

It makes little difference whether we stop in Chub Cay or Andros to fuel up between Bimini and Nassau. The distances are almost the same. So we might try a different one for each direction. Trying to go directly to Nassau is about 10 miles shorter but would require more fuel or greater risk of running out.

I realized that I had left out the most important part of the map. 83.3 miles from Atlantis Marina to Big Major Cay. Who else thinks it would be fun tp spend a night at Atlantis?

What navigation app is this?