• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bike mount ideas?

Hawksr30

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone transported their bikes mounted on the boat in some capacity? Looking for ideas on how to transport them while on the water as opposed to while towing the boat. Taking the boat to Mackinaw Island for a few days and we want to take our bikes but don't want to simply stack them in the boat. I have some ideas on using some fork mounts on the wake tower but was just checking to see if anyone had anything else that they had done.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have zero experience with bikes on boats, but have crossed to Mackinaw Island a few times and have some thoughts on the crossing.

First, you are very correct in wanting everything well lashed-down for the crossing. The Straits of Mackinaw are notoriously rough with exceptional and sometimes unpredictable chop due to the interactions of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron waters. Differing wind patterns, wave patterns, and air masses coming together can make crossings challenging - and sometimes very dangerous - in small, open bow boats.

Keep your schedule flexible so you can choose to cross when conditions are best. Back in the early 80s, when I was a teenager, my family crossed from the Cheboygan River to Mackinaw Island in sunny, glassy conditions at about 8:00 am. It was an absolutely perfect crossing. We got a day slip in the main harbor, and did touristy stuff all day. Just as we were readying to depart, about 5:00 pm, late afternoon atmospheric heating combined with the Straits geography to build an unpredicted and very harrowing chop. I believe it was 3-5' conditions, but the way they can sometimes stack, I am sure some we encountered were 6'+. We were in a late 70s, 19 ft Four Winns tri-hull deckboat with lowish freeboard. It was scary as hell. We made it back to the mouth of the Cheboygan soaking wet but in one piece. However, knowing what I now know... We were very foolish and very lucky that day.

You can cross safely and comfortably in your 19 ft Yamaha, and have a great time on the island, but don't cross if the conditions are not good. And beware that the Straits conditions can change, and massively intensify, in just a few minutes.

Of course, if you have experience in small boats crossings at the Straits, you know what I mean... and please don't be offended by my post.

Having said that, I am jealous. You will have a great time on the island. It is truly one of a kind.

Hawksr30

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the input! We're going to drop in St. Ignace for a shorter trip but will be watching the forecast attentively. We slipped of Lake Michigan for two years with a 19' Bayliner and learned very quickly how dangerous it can get in no time at all so we do indeed know enough to respect the big water. Friday thru Sunday trip so we've got some wiggle room if we need it. Our daughter is working on the Island and wants to cross up to the Les Cheneaux Islands but I think that's probably pushing our luck (although probably not much further than your trip from Cheboygan was). We've already taken a day trip this year (on the ferry) but got a slip for two nights and a nice deal on the rooms this time around. Just looking for an excuse to use the new boat as much as possible. :p

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome. BTW, Higgins is one of the best, as I am sure you know. Have a great trip!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
upload_2018-7-14_18-2-30.png

You could always try this. :cool:

Attachments