• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini 2015 - July 6th to 11th

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife will be on the ferry next year with my son
Hopefully we will have better water on the way to Bimini next year. We had an amazing crossing today. On the map below the northern line is the return. The dots are spaced out ten minutes. You can see that we covered three to four times the distance in the western ten minute periods on the way back compared to the way there.

I can't express how much difference trim tabs made on the return crossing. I used around 30% trim in both directions. I trimmed up to 75% on the rough days running around the islands. I did not trim much on the way there because I needed to keep the bow above the waves. On the way back 25% to 30% was plenty to keep the bow from bouncing without loosing speed. I tested turning off the trim several times. Each time the family noticed the increased bouncing and asked for more trim.

I would spend on trim and some rough water practice time instead of ferry tickets.

I discussed our rough crossing with several Bimini regulars. Their consensus was that "sometimes you just have to pound waves". Some crossings we will have great water. Other times we will be pounding. Regardless of how you get there Bimini is worth the journey.

image.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce did you beat our 1 hour and 45 minute return time? looks like you had great water on the way back.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce did you beat our 1 hour and 45 minute return time? looks like you had great water on the way back.
We had a better forecast so I assume we had better water. As for time I am not certain. I believe we peaked around 42 and our low was around 30.

We stopped twice. The first time to capture some souvineer water. The second was to clean out the jets after crossing a large yachts wake entering Port Everglades. It was easily the largest wake or wave that we experienced on the trip and was carrying lots of seaweed.

We wanted a smooth return crossing so the kids would be excited about 2016. They were nervous after the crossing to Bimini.

image.jpg image.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is my first video of the crossing.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My goodness! I've been out on Lake Michigan in worse waves than that, but I sure as heck got my butt back home when I was!!! I can see why that would be so scary for you guys. A lot of times it's the distance between waves that screws you up as well. Long trip to be bashed about like that! Thanks for the video and thanks in advance for all those that are coming!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My goodness! I've been out on Lake Michigan in worse waves than that, but I sure as heck got my butt back home when I was!!! I can see why that would be so scary for you guys. A lot of times it's the distance between waves that screws you up as well. Long trip to be bashed about like that! Thanks for the video and thanks in advance for all those that are coming!!!
I agree I have been out in worse then what we saw and @andy07sx230ho and @upperdeck have crossed in worse as well. It was a solid 3 ft with occasional larger wave in the 4-5ft range but the worst part was as you mention it was 2-4 second periods wich made it difficult. I think the worst part was just that it was a 60 mile crossing in it. As you mentioned usually if I go offshore here in Myrtle Beach and its like that I dont stay out very long as its just not an enjoyable day. What makes it stressfull in the short periods like that is you constantly have to stay on your toes and pay attention instead of being able to relax at any point. I would say that was probably what made it difficult for most is just the high stress for 5 hours. I still think I could have done the trip in about 3.5 hours on the ski as about 17-20 mph was my happy speed but most of the group was not going at that pace so I had to keep it down.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much is the ferry?

My boys 4&5 are not old enough for this and I fear that if I scare them once they'll be done with boating. Probably same with wife she doesn't like speed or bumps.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How much is the ferry?
My wife will not go and I have made 2 trips already. If I am going to get her there it would be by ferry or plane. I did a quick look and round trip[ ferry was $250 and plane was about $300. More flexibility with air travel. I haven;t researched further for better deals but next year, if I can get my wife to go, I will check into it further. Me and my daughters (14, 19 and 21 yrs old) will make the crossing. They are a very capable crew for me!!!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@upperdeck, @andy07sx230ho I want to thank you for all the hard work that you put into Bimini 2015 and all the trips before. You guys pioneered this amazing event and continue to provide the leadership to make it a success. Your event allows so many of us to enjoy boating in ways that are unimaginable to most! Thank you very much.

And @tim h I very much appreciate you hanging out with all of us little boats! I know the additional fuel burn hurt this year. It comforts us to know that you are in our pack.

Last edited:

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@upperdeck, @andy07sx230ho I want to thank you for all the hard work that you put into Bimini 2015 and all the trips before. You guys pioneered this amazing event and continue to provide the leadership to make it a success. Your event allows so many of us to enjoy boating in ways that are unimaginable to most! Thank you very much.

And @tim h I very much appreciate you hanging out with all of us little boats! I know the additional fuel burn hurt this year. It comforts us to know that you are in our pack.
I second that.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

I second that.
Thanks guys!!! For me it is a labor of love with my goal to assist anyone that wants to join us in enjoying the wonderful islands and waters of Bimini so that they can someday return and pass that knowledge and assistance on to others.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We should say thanks to @waterboy for his tour guide services this year as well!

@andy07sx230ho, @upperdeck who were the JetBoaters on the first Bimini Fling?
Besides @upperdeck and myself the only other one I know that is on Jetboaters.net is @Bousbous55, hopefully I'm not overlooking anyone. There were a total of 8 Yamaha's, so we are missing 5 boats here. One of the boats that went was stole out of his yard shortly after the 2011 trip and not sure if he ever replaced his boat.

The missing boat names and owners are:
Goin Propless - Rob Lattimer (boat was stolen)
K. EG. Hauler - Mark Womack (other forum goes by k9medic)
Gatoritaville - Rich Peterson (other forum goes by Gatoritaville)
? - Russ Fortune (other forum goes by thefortunes)
? - Todd Gleisner (from Georgia)

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm hoping to head on over with you guys in a couple of years. Need to retire so I can get there in July. I get 2 weeks in Florida in May and September as it stands. How is the crossing in September? A little more sprite I would guess.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys!!! For me it is a labor of love with my goal to assist anyone that wants to join us in enjoying the wonderful islands and waters of Bimini so that they can someday return and pass that knowledge and assistance on to others.
I looked forward to @andy07sx230ho 's morning radio call to see what interesting things we were going to be doing. Thanks Andy!