• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blown bearing buddy seal

Thegreatfloundini

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys, need some advice. Went to get the shorelander ready for the boat. Did the tires and added grease to the bearing buddies. All but one, rear left. The seal is blown. Should I just replace the bearing buddy or do a complete bearing change? I haven’t inspected inside the hub yet due to wx. Here are a few pics.

V/R
Brian

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would start by removing the bearing buddy. Then jacking up the trailer to get that wheel off the ground. Check the wheel/bearing for extra resistance turning, and any side/side or top/bottom play. If the bearing feels good, throw another bearing buddy on it, and let 'er rip. If it feels suspect at all, tear it apart and inspect futher.

sapperfitz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's quite strange. How much grease do you pump in there? It should be just enough that a little pressure on one side will rock the cap, don't fill until the spring is completely compressed.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
For peace of mind, i'd remove the whole thing and inspect then get strategic.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like the cap where the zerk is attached is deformed? I have a cheap grease gun and have to wrestle the damn thing off the zerk every time. I am going to get a new one before I cause any damage.

Anyone else ever service the trailer? That doesn't look like overfilling to me. But, a new bearing buddy is definitely needed.

Thegreatfloundini

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Actually, I found it this way. No grease added. I’ve ordered some new ss bearing buddies off of amazon. going to replace it and see if it holds. We keep our boat in a marina on a lift, so the trailer has not been used since I bought the boat a year ago.

Thegreatfloundini

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m going to remove the bearing buddy and jack the trailer up. Check motion and see if there’s any resistance. My guess is previous owner Damaged the zerk fitting when he serviced the trailer.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length