• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Blue Yonder Stereo Upgrade

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your making me think. I do have the speaker "out" wires from my clarion unused. I wonder if I can just use those wires to put a pair in the center. Any idea's where you would place them?

Suchawittygal

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r..haha, no worries Mel, Nauti Dawg II sounds pretty good ;)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Suchawittygal , it is just a subject line but I am determined to find a name that fits!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@geiger41 Yep. I will get some pics up tomorrow. Below the combing pockets on the side wall down low at drivers and passenger seats...OR...up in the combing pockets themselves if there is room. I will have to check it out from behind, and that is damn tricky before the hole is cut!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I never thought I would want or need to add speakers to the cabin.....but I think it is in tbe future for me. I have the four polks in the stock locations now and they sound great, but I feel I need a fuller sound at every volume coming from the cabin. Ill probably upgrade to the mx650's later this year or next spring, and at that time Ill probably add the cabin speakers.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your making me think. I do have the speaker "out" wires from my clarion unused. I wonder if I can just use those wires to put a pair in the center. Any idea's where you would place them?
Don't mix amplified speakers with some running off the head unit. You will start to distort and clip them long before the ones running off the amp.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
To have great sounding and musical bass you need a good balance between the fundamentals and harmonics, or in other words, between the subwoofer and midbass produced by the coaxials.
A little test will prove this point. Play your subwoofer in the lowpass mode (as normal) in isolation and temporarily without any contribution from the coaxials. Even the best subwoofer will sound soggy, muddy & drunk under this condition. So in order to have pitch accuracy and tonal construction you are very dependent on the midbass drivers of your coaxials being in balance with the sub. And that really requires the surface area of four good 6.5" speakers within the cockpit alone to match up with a single moderate 10-inch sub.
Go one octave up and 50% of all musical fundamentals fall between 200 and 600 hertz which is the sole domain of the coaxial speaker midbass cone. So from the sub high cut-off point and up several octaves, this is a very critical range. Unfortunately its often overlooked in favor of boom/sizzle.
It's also nice to have a little forward stage by having speaker placement forward of, or at least even with the driver location.
The ideal system would have good phase coherency by placing the listener in between four coaxials with the subwoofer in close proximity.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
To have great sounding and musical bass you need a good balance between the fundamentals and harmonics, or in other words, between the subwoofer and midbass produced by the coaxials.
A little test will prove this point. Play your subwoofer in the lowpass mode (as normal) in isolation and temporarily without any contribution from the coaxials. Even the best subwoofer will sound soggy, muddy & drunk under this condition. So in order to have pitch accuracy and tonal construction you are very dependent on the midbass drivers of your coaxials being in balance with the sub. And that really requires the surface area of four good 6.5" speakers within the cockpit alone to match up with a single moderate 10-inch sub.
Go one octave up and 50% of all musical fundamentals fall between 200 and 600 hertz which is the sole domain of the coaxial speaker midbass cone. So from the sub high cut-off point and up several octaves, this is a very critical range. Unfortunately its often overlooked in favor of boom/sizzle.
It's also nice to have a little forward stage by having speaker placement forward of, or at least even with the driver location.
The ideal system would have good phase coherency by placing the listener in between four coaxials with the subwoofer in close proximity.
Yeah.... what he said↑

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Haven't really taken measurements or done much experimenting in our boats, but I remember from my car audio competition days, we used to try to get the mids and highs as low down toward the kick panels as possible. It helped make the distance to the listeners ear more equal, therefore making imaging and staging improve. I'm think low under the combing pockets, as long as they are unobstructed, should sound great.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I too added 2 speakers to the cockpit - all 6 inboats powered by a WS HT6. It made a huge difference in sound quality and volume.

image.jpg image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ok...who with a 240 has mounted speakers on the tall wall between the two swim deck levels and had good luck with it? Seems to be a bunch of cautions, even though the wall is high, it is also very low down on the water, and backwash will hit the speakers. We have talked about this before on other threads. I want some first hand 240 experience...the 230 is much higher and won't get the same wash.

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mine are there. They don't get overly wet

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Pictures Cory?

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will look for a pic in the meantime look at my picture in the veve guides thread you can see one of the speakers there

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not my boat but
image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Those are up on the second level Cory. I could put them there, but would have to go to the expense of having the cushions reworked in an upholstery shop. I was talking about down on the lower level wall, where the calf cushions are on your boat. The SX does not have the extra cushions and no speakers already on the transom, like the 242. Here is a pic and the only place I see to put them without alteration of the seat back cushions.
img002.jpg

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@txav8r some guy on the other site just did a nice write up on his instal. I grabbed these two pictures. I think this is what you were looking for. I am pretty sure its a 240 but his sig said LS200. Speakers.jpgspeakers 2 .jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@txav8r some guy on the other site just did a nice write up on his instal. I grabbed these two pictures. I think this is what you were looking for. I am pretty sure its a 240 but his sig said LS200. View attachment 5469View attachment 5470
Exactly what I was looking for, now if I only knew his experience with them. If it is a new install, then he doesn't have much experience with longevity of the speaker back there. That is less than about 6 to 8 inches off the water from the bottom of those. Anyone else have any experience with speakers mounted like this. I have less than 2 hours on my boat, I have been on it twice, and water does wash onto that deck rapidly and heavily in normal operating conditions.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't speak for a 240, but water gets up there on the back of my 212 regularly. I realize many have done it, but I'd be hesitant.

Last edited:

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
I would not be concerned with splash. They'll handle the water.
The force from getting submerged would concern me.