• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Owners in South Carolina pay 10.5% in taxes EACH YEAR?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In SC you pay an ad valorem tax annually for cars and boats. You don’t take the hit when you buy new; but for those who like keeping new vehicles, it really adds up. I have spent lots on upgrades to my 2011 F-150 and 2006 SX-210…all financed (in concept) by avoidance for what I would pay ten-fold by buying new.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not know the specifics of SC tax calculation. However, I would guess that it is fairly close to GA (neighboring states often try to not create an incentive to register in the bordering state); for example, I cannot imagine that SC would have any marinas on Lake Hartwell (in both states) if there was much difference.

In GA, I paid a little over $200 in tax last year, and it drops some every year.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in SC. For my 2019 jet ski I paid just under $500 in taxes. For my 2020 pontoon I paid $1700.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And that is annual fee? Not just ‘sales tax’?
Correct.

It goes down about 10-20% a year but still crazy to be taxes every year on something I own at that level

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
"But the real estate taxes are low"

Every states tax man will get ya, they just have different strategies.

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow those annual taxes are crazy...luckily we only have to pony up a chunk of change upon purchase here.

Alabama- 2% state + 1-2% local sales tax upon purchase, then only a $25 annual registration for boats 16-26 ft.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I sent mine into PA... no tax(out of state)

we'll see

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
"But the real estate taxes are low"

Every states tax man will get ya, they just have different strategies.
This is so true.

When we were deciding where to retire, one of our consideration was taxes. I ended up putting a spreadsheet together for state income tax (on our estimated income) + real estate tax (for our home) + personal property tax (planned cars, boat, rv) + sales tax I expected to pay in a year. Looking at a summary of all expected taxes was quite interesting. For example, I looked at a couple of different spots in Florida, and while there is no state income tax, there is a moderate state sales tax and real estate taxes can be higher that I expected (depending on where in the state one lived).

Hawaii is an interesting case, no income tax, no personal property tax, relatively low real estate and sales taxes. Lowest taxes of all the places we were interested in retiring, but the highest cost of real estate.

Getting back to boating, in Delaware there is no sales or personal property tax on a boat, and registration is $60 a year. Pay 4.25% document tax (sales tax) on the trailer and $40 a year registration.

Jim

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is so true.

When we were deciding where to retire, one of our consideration was taxes. I ended up putting a spreadsheet together for state income tax (on our estimated income) + real estate tax (for our home) + personal property tax (planned cars, boat, rv) + sales tax I expected to pay in a year. Looking at a summary of all expected taxes was quite interesting. For example, I looked at a couple of different spots in Florida, and while there is no state income tax, there is a moderate state sales tax and real estate taxes can be higher that I expected (depending on where in the state one lived).

Hawaii is an interesting case, no income tax, no personal property tax, relatively low real estate and sales taxes. Lowest taxes of all the places we were interested in retiring, but the highest cost of real estate.

Getting back to boating, in Delaware there is no sales or personal property tax on a boat, and registration is $60 a year. Pay 4.25% document tax (sales tax) on the trailer and $40 a year registration.

Jim
You must have mis-read some things about Hawaii. It has always had a high income tax; we lived there 1991-1995. Now, it is the highest in the nation. If you have some types of a government pension that might not be taxed, but any private pension or any type of 401K (private or government) will be taxed.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Apologies, on the Hawaii note. It has been about two years since I looked into the taxes. My own personal income taxes would have been zero as my wife and my federal pensions and our social security payments wouldn't be taxed.

Jim

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I do not know the specifics of SC tax calculation. However, I would guess that it is fairly close to GA (neighboring states often try to not create an incentive to register in the bordering state); for example, I cannot imagine that SC would have any marinas on Lake Hartwell (in both states) if there was much difference.

In GA, I paid a little over $200 in tax last year, and it drops some every year.
Glad we dont have that in Texas