• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat seems to pull to the right.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I always feel like I’m having to steer to the left to compensate. When steering wheelb is straight, I’m going slightly right.

When I look under the dash, the mechanism seems to be centered and aligned correctly. Centered when the wheel is straight and goes full equal motion side to side. Of course, that’s when the motor is off.

I’m not sure what’s happening in the water with the boat moving, but everything looks all right from the back.

Anyone else know what I’m talking about or experienced anything like this. My Seadoo always seemed pretty much straight on.

genwrx

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Just the weight distribution, move things

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ditto on moving things around. I just point to where the small kids should sit.

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Have you verified that your jet nozzle is straight while your steering wheel is centered?

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Have you verified that your jet nozzle is straight while your steering wheel is centered?
I will check that. That would be my guess. I’m not sure how to adjust it though. From under the dash the linkage looks like it’s adjusted straight, yet when boating it doesn’t feel straight. I’ve been a bunch now and I’ve tried weight distribution in every possible arrangement (balances, weighted to one side or the other and front to back) it still tracks pretty much the same which is slightly to the right when straight. Straight is when I have it about 10 o’clock

BMF JK

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I will check that. That would be my guess. I’m not sure how to adjust it though. From under the dash the linkage looks like it’s adjusted straight, yet when boating it doesn’t feel straight. I’ve been a bunch now and I’ve tried weight distribution in every possible arrangement (balances, weighted to one side or the other and front to back) it still tracks pretty much the same which is slightly to the right when straight. Straight is when I have it about 10 o’clock
Here’s a thread I started 2 years ago with the same issue @ScarabMike helped me out .
https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-would-cause-my-195-hoi-to-pull-starboard.10966/#post-187827

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely check the weight distribution first, it can make a big difference. It's also possible the steering wheel really is off center. You can correct that just like the toe in your car by adjusting the steering cables at the nozzles. Give each one a turn to the left and see if it helps.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Definitely check the weight distribution first, it can make a big difference. It's also possible the steering wheel really is off center. You can correct that just like the toe in your car by adjusting the steering cables at the nozzles. Give each one a turn to the left and see if it helps.
Like I mentioned, I’ve checked the weight distribution every which way. It’s not weight distribution.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have found that in a lot of cases the nozzles are not aligned properly and the rudder is not centered, When I sell my AK or my AK-19 steering for those boats I have a process that I Instruct my customers to follow to ensure that the boat is tracking correctly, Since I add in my patented second tie rod to secure the nozzles in proper alignment and extra fins for more influence on plane it is very important to have everything in proper alignment. First I have them center the wheel at the helm and secure it with a bungee cord, next disconnect the tie rod from the right side nozzle, and then disconnect the steering cable connectors at the nozzles, Use a square and position the rudder at a 90 degree angle from the back of the boat, use a piece of metal or wood and a clamp , clamp the wood to the rudder making contact with the ground so the wood holds the rudder secure.
Then have someone hold a straight edge against the openings of the nozzles so they are even and then readjust the steering cables to the steering arms of the nozzles once that is completed you readjust the right side tie rod to match the nozzle bolt boss this will get your original parts in line.
If you have the second tie rod and steering fins that work at speed I have them adjust the second tie rod to match the left side nozzle boss however I also have them add 1/2 turn OUT to One end of EACH tie rod to place a slight tow in on the front of the nozzles so that the high speed fins are slightly closer on the leading edges and the system cuts through the water like an arrow head keeping it tracking in a straight line, the 2 tie rods will hold the adjustments as they do not rely on the steering cables for that. In any case just doing the adjustments for your stock boat should improve your situation.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the boat is not well balanced you should see it veer off a bit to the heavy side. If you have shifted weight (and People make great ballast) and the boat does not track to the heavy side, your steering nozzles may indeed need adjusting.

Wind can also be a large factor when all is working well. If you shift people and boat direction to check for wind effect, and it still veers to the same side, certainly something else is going on.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
haaaaaaa I just notice this original post is from a couple years ago lol welcome class of 2021.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
haaaaaaa I just notice this original post is from a couple years ago lol welcome class of 2021.
Right. I no longer have that Glastron GTS187. It definitely was not weight distribution. I never did figure it out, but it wasn’t major and was easy to compensate for. The nozzles appeared to be centered and there was no rudder on that boat.

That said, our new 212s tracks straight as an arrow. No pull or anything that makes the driver feel like they need to compensate.

This is our third jet boat. Had a SeaDoo, then a Glastron and now our Yamaha. Never felt the need for any thrust vectors. To me that seems like it’s for those who are new to boats or haven’t been around them much. Our new 212a is no less maneuverable than my in-laws new Moomba.

The only problem we’ve ever had trailering or docking is in strong wind. That was mostly trailering and there’s little thrust vectors would do for that. However, the addition of trailer guides does help with that tremendously.