• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat won't start

Another thing that's possible is that the installer unplugged a few gauges and/or plugs behind the dash and they didn't all get hooked back up properly.

Okay @swatski and anyone else with PP knowledge...my installer just emailed me back and said he connected PP to the yellow/red wire.
Is that what you did?
Yes, yellow/red wire is the way to go for switched power, I think I studied every PP install published here, and that is the consensus. I wish I could be more helpful in diagnosing your issue!

All I know is that during my install I inadvertently pulled the yellow/red wire out of the harness connector (E in the schematic); I came to realize that the wire I pulled out, and the corresponding pin in the connector, does not actually link to anything in the harness... So, I just used the Y/R wire as a source of switched power anyway, finished and tested, and got lucky I guess.

But I was surprised how easily the wire dislodged from the connector/pin... And looking at the switch wiring schematic - maybe one of the other wires got loose in your case? Pure speculation of course...
upload_2016-3-14_22-46-32.png

Last edited:
So I have been following this thread but haven't had anything to offer until now. I notice he has said several times after trying to start the engines he has pulled the plugs and they were dry.... Maybe the spark isn't the problem but a lack of fuel. Is it possible there is a fuse for the fuel pumps that he hasn't checked yet. It could have been popped when they were doing the pp install...

Just to be completely clear - by no means am I implying that Perfect Pass install would impact the boat electronics! (if done correctly).

I am implying, however, that Yamaha electronics and electrical connections have some weak points (I mean they are pretty shitty), can easily be disturbed and rendered non-functional. For example, I almost chucked my JBL 145.2 HU at some point as it was acting intermittently - only to discover a bunch of loose electical connections. Fixed all and, knock on wood, haven't had a problem since...

So I went back out to the boat last night, all the ignition stuff looked fine to me and I don't really know what I'm looking for either.

I unplugged the PP and tried to start, got nothing. Switched all the fuses in that round "box" and still nothing.

I may get the YDS by friday and be able to hook it up quickly. I have an appointment for the shop to install my impros impeller so I'm just going to see if they can get it working if the YDS doesn't tell me what the issue is.

Unhook a fuel line and turn over the motor and see if it is getting fuel.... That will narrow it down to spark or fuel!

In theory, wouldn't that shoot fuel out if it was getting fuel? When I was looking at the fuel pump, I unhooked a line and fuel shot out at me...so not sure what that means.

I wouldn't know the first thing about why it wouldnt be sparking if that is indeed the case. Since they are new plugs.

Just put a small gas can or something next to the engine and put the gas line into it.. U only need to make sure the pumps come on. And fuel is getting into the engine... I keep getting stuck on the plugs are always dry when u pull them out. Normaly if a n engine has no spark the pkygs are wet with fuel... If there is spark but no fuel then the plugs are dry.... U need air fuel spark and timeing to run... Checking the fuel gets to the engine eliminates an entire system.. Then it is pretty much reduced to the ignition system I.e. electrical.

I am by no means a n expert on these engines... Far from it.. But I have worked on every other type of engine over the years.

Yeah, this is all so very frustrating. If it wasn't my wife's birthday this weekend I'd be digging into this more. She was annoyed I spent last weekend with this thing in the driveway with no results. I will end up just dropping it off this weekend and hoping the bill isnt too large to get this thing running again.

Hopefully there is at least a learning from this situation so I don't have this happen next year.

I will let you all know what comes of this. Thank you all for your input and support. Really appreciate it.

okay here it is...the update that you've all been waiting for...WTF was wrong with my boat?

For those that said it was the perfect pass install (just about everyone)...you were right.

My dumbass thought about it, but didnt know how to adjust it...but turns out the cable the pulls the throttle when PP is engaged was too tight. I started to think about this after @swatski's comments on his install.

The dealer just called and said its running and my new Solas impeller is installed too.

Thanks again for all the input and quick responses. Can't wait to get out there soon!

I am glad you got it working. I feel bad for not chiming in before but I had similar issue. Both engines would not turn over and I had too recently installed perfect pass. I also changed oil and spark plugs and had not started it since last season. I only bought the boat last year. After 2 days of troubleshooting I hooked up my YDS cable and realized it had some features to test for spark and fuel. I tried to run them and error returned stating the the throttle was opened too much or something to that sort. Adjusted PP throttle cable and fired right up. Sorry this doesn't help you after the fact but could help out another Jet boater in the future. Don't be scared to offer advice, even if you don't have a lot of experience. Every little bit helps.

Thanks for posting the root cause. I will be installing my PP here in the next couple of weeks and so this will be fresh in my mind as a possible issue to watch for.

Glad that your back up and running @aaron jansen We learn something new every day on this site. Thanks for posting this. It'll help other guys for sure.

Back