• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boattest Video on Yamaha Wake Booster

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boattest's Capt Steve demonstrates Yamaha Wake Booster in New video:

Note: Boattest provides a lot of good boating information, but they are solidly positioned in the advertorial space.

Didn't look like they were using ballast during this test.

Pretty large difference in wave quality.

I can easily envision one of these pinned to each side of the 190 / 192 /195 / FSH series hulls.

No need for ballast would certainly make it more attractive.
Albeit begging the question: Why would anyone need the "X" model then...? lol
That question notwithstanding, the quality of the wave looks pretty poor. Shown with all kinds of trickery but only on the goofy side (STRBD) - these boats tend to throw a much better looking wave on that side due to the direction of impellers' rotation.

--

I always found it especially peculiar how flat the underside of the swim platform was shaped around those U bolts.

Certainly never thought about attaching anything like that there.

I always found it especially peculiar how flat the underside of the swim platform was shaped around those U bolts.

Certainly never thought about attaching anything like that there.
Scarab started offering something similar some time ago, too. It's a great concept. But it still remains to be seen/proven to work well. I would say at this point the Wake Wedge is most likely way better. Why would they not use something like the Wedge (already proven to work) - no idea...?

https://jetboaters.net/threads/surfstream-diy-edition-prototyping-in-ar240.16075/#post-276180

--

Scarab started offering something similar some time ago, too. It's a great concept. But it still remains to be seen/proven to work well. I would say at this point the Wake Wedge is most likely way better. Why would they not use something like the Wedge (already proven to work) - no idea...?

https://jetboaters.net/threads/surfstream-diy-edition-prototyping-in-ar240.16075/#post-276180

--

I wonder how many $$$ it would cost Gantlin to get Boattest to do a similar feature on the Wake Wedge?

--

I'm guessing putting weight on the boat to get the swim platform 6" under like the wake wedge requires might lead legal issues in regards to stock boat weight and attitude. It may be they are at the limits of what they can legally do with ballast on this hull and so they need to find alternative ways to increase the wake size. Would love to not have to have additional ballast other than stock if the booster could do the rest but we haven't seen evidence of that yet.

I wonder how many $$$ it would cost Gantlin to get Boattest to do a similar feature on the Wake Wedge?
Alot more then we are willing to shell out. Why would we do that though? We have almost 5 years in the industry setting up Yamahas to surf with very satisfied customers that vouch for the wave it produces. Gantlin is still only a part time job for both of us and consumes our summer. We have no intention on making this our full time job. I do not need the stress of needing to support other peoples families. My hat is off to those business owners that do!

Anyone tried an upside-down foil attached to the stern like the purpose built big wake boats use. Should be able to easily add a significant amount of dynamic downforce, and wouldn't count against capacity.

Maybe I have missed it, but I still haven't found pricing for the Wake Booster as an add on for my 2017.

Maybe I have missed it, but I still haven't found pricing for the Wake Booster as an add on for my 2017.
$999 or something like that for the Booster, board, and rope. Not bad, actually. If it worked.

--

Well, since I would need a board as well... not a bad thought for myself

I can easily envision one of these pinned to each side of the 190 / 192 /195 / FSH series hulls.

You may have missed this feature, you only use one, and it can be mounted to either side. You would never want one on each side at the same time. Cpt Steve didn't point it out real clearly, but the Yamaha video did.

Has this been formally released for individual package sale yet? Need some southerners to pick a few up over the winter. I'm interested if you can get a decent enough wave without ballast to try it out on, especially since there should be a decent resale market if its not your thing. I'm slightly less interested in going all in on bags and everything before I even know if anyone in my crew (or me) would enjoy it.

Anyone tried an upside-down foil attached to the stern like the purpose built big wake boats use. Should be able to easily add a significant amount of dynamic downforce, and wouldn't count against capacity.

I’ve brought this up before but for something like the Malibu wedge or older Centurion Switchback to be used on our boats it would need to be heavily reinforced. Even then I’m not sure our boats would be able to deal with that kind of force without cavitation very badly.

Has this been formally released for individual package sale yet? Need some southerners to pick a few up over the winter. I'm interested if you can get a decent enough wave without ballast to try it out on, especially since there should be a decent resale market if its not your thing. I'm slightly less interested in going all in on bags and everything before I even know if anyone in my crew (or me) would enjoy it.

Kit won’t be available until after 2019 from what Yamaha has said.

If you want to try it on a 19’ boat you’ll need to custom make one like @Gofish206 did in the large Wake Booster thread in the 2019 Yamaha forum section Wake Booster. Yamaha only offering this for the 21’ and 24’ boats. Swim deck on the 19’ is smaller.

I have also been told that it may only be 2015 and newer as the tie down's are mounted differently on our older 24' boats. Bummer. I am going to have to find someone good with a welder.

Back