• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bought myself a project '99 LS2000

dabomb6608

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Maiden voyage took place Friday evening!

Last week I had gone through the front carb on my starboard motor and found the fuel pump dry as a bone and not pumping fuel. I replaced the clear diaphragm and check valves and it would then pump fuel through the carb when I applied suction/pressure via mouth. These carbs also have new rubber diaphragms on the jet side of the carbs.

Got everything reinstalled and running again Friday after work. We headed to the ramp and it idled good and felt strong while throttling on the trailer.

Backed off the trailer and away we went. It seemed good through the RPM ranges and didn't seem to have any dead spots. Wasn't really watching speed as I didn't trust the speedo anyways but want to say I was at or around 50 at WOT. WOT was showing about 7200 RPM on both motors, not 100% confident in rpm gauges either. But they both were in the same range and no drastic differences at speed.

A few things I noted on the run.

First: My port motor throttle is slightly too lose. It wanted to slide back on me occasionally.

Second: Definitely a smoker! (100% expected especially with premix) My friends place we generally boat with have a half mile long no wake zone through a cove to their place. We idled back there and I made sure to shut down a motor and occasionally flip flop which one was running.

Third: Starting wasn't terrible. Especially after running. No choke needed once warm and very quickly came to life and straight to idle. Even after the long no wake zone. I know how these triples shake and like to load up when idling for long periods so that was a relief.

Fourth: Steering is very tight/difficult while underway. I believe my starboard cable is worn, and me fighting with it during the transom plate removal probably didn't help any. I am going to attempt to lubricate it and see what happens. Otherwise I will be replacing it.

Fifth: My port motor seems slightly louder in terms of exhaust noise than the starboard one. I am going to investigate more on that. I know what these motors sound like in skis. The water boxes are different in comparison on these boats vs the ski boxes so the sound is also different then what I am used to. Might just be me being overly cautious.

From here I have my replacement intermediate housing for my leaking port housing. I will try to find time to replace that this week. I also ordered a new gas gauge. Went with a Faria GP9932A "Spun Silver" Gas Gauge. The finish is similar to the rpm and speedo gauges I am eyeing for a future upgrade. I also need to get a replacement bow light. And I want to install a safety lanyard. The previous owner deleted it. Those are the more immediate things on the to do list. Along with getting a temporary radio installed.

Our boating season is just around the corner so getting everything ready for actual full time weekend use is priority. Hoping to have the fuel gauge and intermediate housing finished by this weekend that way depending on weather we can do a extended shake down to really test everything.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Checkmy trottle drop mod in faq

dabomb6608

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Checkmy trottle drop mod in faq
Will do!

I just read through it, albeit very quickly, and was a bit confused. I have pulled the throttles/shifter up before when I was trying to find a source to my ignition not killing the starboard motor. I don't remember the throttles looking anything like your pictures did. Its possible I just wasn't looking close enough at them considering I was looking for a different issue at that time. I will take another look as soon as I get a chance.

Last night I had a customers 1100 Waveraider I needed to test on the lake and found that even though it was pissing out the side thru hull it was overheating due to a sand clogged stinger. Now that it is fixed and ready for pickup I have two Kawasaki's to rebuild motors on. A Ultra 150 and a 1100 ZXI. The weather hasn't/isn't cooperating at all. Rain most of last week and forecast of rain the rest of this week. I still have a waiting list of a few skis and a Seadoo boat waiting to be brought for work as well so I'm going to be busy the next month.

rkim808

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on ur build, she looks clean. I have a 2001 LS2000 and my family and I love it. As for swapping out the motors to 4-strokes i seen a posting a long time ago of a guy that did a MR-1 swap and was successful. He did extensive modifications to the hull too if I remember correctly. IMO I would just run her with the 2-strokes, they rip. Congrats again thank u for sharing.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Will do!

I just read through it, albeit very quickly, and was a bit confused. I have pulled the throttles/shifter up before when I was trying to find a source to my ignition not killing the starboard motor. I don't remember the throttles looking anything like your pictures did. Its possible I just wasn't looking close enough at them considering I was looking for a different issue at that time. I will take another look as soon as I get a chance.

Last night I had a customers 1100 Waveraider I needed to test on the lake and found that even though it was pissing out the side thru hull it was overheating due to a sand clogged stinger. Now that it is fixed and ready for pickup I have two Kawasaki's to rebuild motors on. A Ultra 150 and a 1100 ZXI. The weather hasn't/isn't cooperating at all. Rain most of last week and forecast of rain the rest of this week. I still have a waiting list of a few skis and a Seadoo boat waiting to be brought for work as well so I'm going to be busy the next month.
Yours will have 3 levers. One for forward and reverse and individual for throttles on each side. Basically need to take apart the side that is dropping and pinch tight the little fingers. It SHOULD be that simple.
But you are correct that my writeup is throttles from 06 and newer other than e throttles.

dabomb6608

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Congrats on ur build, she looks clean. I have a 2001 LS2000 and my family and I love it. As for swapping out the motors to 4-strokes i seen a posting a long time ago of a guy that did a MR-1 swap and was successful. He did extensive modifications to the hull too if I remember correctly. IMO I would just run her with the 2-strokes, they rip. Congrats again thank u for sharing.
Thanks.

The 2-strokes certainly do rip and nothing compares to them in that regards. But I am one to like challenges and to "be different". It seems like a fun upgrade. Personally I would prefer to do the new TR-1 setups. I believe I have seen the post you are talking about. I think that setup was in either a Exciter or a XR1800. Which, the XR1800 for sure has more room front to back in the engine compartment due to those motors exhaust setups. After measuring out some MR-1 motors I had from a customer I really don't see them fitting without doing any kind of fiberglass work to the front wall. The TR-1 on the other hand can have the front airbox removed with a aftermarket air intake and then the ebox relocated. With that being done, I believe they would fit. Unfortunately I haven't seen one in person while having a tape measure to really say any of that with 100% confidence.

Yours will have 3 levers. One for forward and reverse and individual for throttles on each side. Basically need to take apart the side that is dropping and pinch tight the little fingers. It SHOULD be that simple.
But you are correct that my writeup is throttles from 06 and newer other than e throttles.
I'll hopefully take a look at that sometime this week. Thanks!

dabomb6608

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Got my new fuel gauge installed last night. Wired right up and because of the oil injection being deleted I didn't need to worry about the oil warning light. I installed LED bulbs for my gauge back lights as well while I was at it.

After topping the boat off with 22 gallons of fresh premix it is ready for a trip to the lake. Unfortunately we will be out of town this weekend for Mothers Day. Not sure when we will get a chance to take it out next. I am sure I will upgrade a few things here and there in the meantime. I've got some weather stripping I want to install to replace the front/ski/rear hatch seals. I still need to get a head unit ordered as well. I believe I am going to go with a Kenwood headunit that has the option to add a few small circular wired remotes. One near the captains helm and one near the swim deck. This will provide me with a decent headunit for future amp/sub upgrades.

IMG_1425.jpg

dabomb6608

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Upgraded my bow light and my anchor light base last night. Here is a shot of the bow light. It is a 1NM Attwood Bi-Color LED light. Fit was good but needed two holes pre-drilled for the screws that were relocated.
IMG_1436.jpg

The anchor light is just a stainless steel base with rubber seal for the lid. Also bought a new 36" pole light to go with the new base. Didn't get a shot of it. I am going to start looking at stereo components so we have tunes. I know I want to go with a Kenwood bluetooth headunit with 2 wired remotes. One at the captains helm and one in the swim deck area. Depending on deals I can find I might do both remotes as the LCD screen remote. Or just the swim deck as the LCD and the captains as the smaller button only remote. Then I will add a sub or two in the future with a amp and some upgraded LED 6.5s. Those upgrades will come as money allows.

I still need to get the port intermediate housing swapped out. Hoping for another outing this weekend for a better shake down run before Memorial Day Weekend.

dabomb6608

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Got some updates coming!

My new Kenwood headunit arrives today. I also may or may not have jumped the gun on two LCD wired remotes to install with the radio. One will be getting installed somewhere at the captains helm. The second one will be getting installed somewhere at the rear swim deck area. I'm taking half days from work today and tomorrow to try and catch up on some customer work (I'm up to my neck right now in customer skis/boats). I am hoping to use some of my extra available time to get some work done on the boat in preparation for this weekend.

I also am needing to install a new bendix in my port motor as well as still do the intermediate housing replacement on that side. Probably wait till after this weekend to do the intermediate housing. I don't want to risk something happening causing me to need to order anything and it be down over the holiday.