• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow Light on our Vortex's -> cool design, badly built...

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Starting out my 3rd year with our Vortex and this year, the Bow light would not light or would sometime after I removed the bulb and replaced it.

Long story short, what I found is the Flip Over Bow Light we have on our boats has been around for a while and reading some posts / comments on Amazon and some other sites, it is prone to failing after a short period of time. The light has some electronics in it which automatically switch the light OFF if it is flipped over. This switch goes bad and causes the light to not turn on even when in the raised position.

Option is to buy a replacement light assembly or direct wire the light around the internal switch. Or, if we can find out a P/N for the switch on the light, then can just buy that and rebuild the assembly.

For now, I have by-passed the internal switch and have the 2 wires that come into the light assembly going directly to the light. I will just make sure I have the light turned off at the helm, when it is flipped over.

The light assembly is Aqua Signal Nav light. # ASL 246007
https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Signal-Stainless-Hideaway-Navigation/dp/B001B012CS

Couple pics below of the switching electronics that fail. To get to these, you remove the lense cap and then 2 screws.

bow light1.jpg bow light2.jpg

Finally, when I was at the lake and cut the wires and direct wired the light, I had no idea this was a switch and what I was by-passing. So, I started another thread in the general section here for input... that link is: https://jetboaters.net/threads/bypass-capacitor-and-or-resistor-in-bow-light-flip-style-on-vortex.13337/#post-232001 if you want to read it.

For now I plan to leave my light as is. If I can find the part #'s for the switching electronics I might unassemble the unit and re-wire it as it was. If I do that I will follow up.

So - test your lights often. You don't want to be out after dark and find out it doesn't work.

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Straight from factory mine turned off and on with every bump in chop. Fixed by dealer and no problems since. Will keep an eye on it though!