• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bow seat backrest hinge mod

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yep. This mod might be in my boat’s future as well.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I looked at it today. I’m a little concerned with how far out the hinge will make the seat back sit and I’m wondering if a thin piano hinge might not minimize the gap better. I saw the pic you took, but I’m still not sure. The more I think about it I’m not certain that putting in a door like @Joe Covelli did on his 19 isn’t a better answer for me.

I hate being indecisive.

Note- I was thinking it was swatski that did the mod, but remembered it was Joe.

Last edited:

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked at it today. I’m a little concerned with how far out the hinge will make the seat back sit and I’m wondering if a thin piano hinge might not minimize the gap better. I saw the pic you took, but I’m still not sure. The more I think about it I’m not certain that putting in a door like @Joe Covelli did on his 19 isn’t a better answer for me.

I hate being indecisive.

Note- I was thinking it was swatski that did the mod, but remembered it was Joe.
The piping on the outside edge of the cushion makes it difficult to use a piano hinge. I was worried about the gap too. I think I'll add some weather stripping to seal that space when the cushion is closed

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That might work. I doubt it is really noticeable, it’s just that I rent at the lake a lot and sometimes I get rained on without a cover on. I really don’t want it filling up the area under the helm. And yes, I realize if get some I. There anyways but it would be a waterfall I’m afraid with that gap.

Bedlamfirm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So I'm curious to the point I may do this. How do I remove the cushion first?

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Take off the starboard bow seat cushion. Reach under and unscrew (2) butterflies at the bottom sides of the seat back that is in front of the helm. Lift out the bottom of the seat back and then lift it up.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
20170602_172749.jpg
Take off the starboard bow seat cushion. Reach under and unscrew (2) butterflies at the bottom sides of the seat back that is in front of the helm. Lift out the bottom of the seat back and then lift it up.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm going to revive an old thread here with a couple questions......

Wife and I are trying to decide how we want to add access to that space. We're undecided between this method of adding a hinge, and the method of adding a door to the side. The door feels like it might be a bit small compared to the opening here. This looks like a larger/more direct opening than the door.

Do you have a picture from the side of storage area (like standing in the walkway) that shows how far this opens? Any estimate on what the angle between the fiberglass and the seat back is when full opened?

Also, @Julian can we add this to the FAQ for future reference? I know it's not a full write up like most of the other FAQ's are, but it's a neat mod with most of the info you need to get it done yourself.

Thanks to all!

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to revive an old thread here with a couple questions......

Wife and I are trying to decide how we want to add access to that space. We're undecided between this method of adding a hinge, and the method of adding a door to the side. The door feels like it might be a bit small compared to the opening here. This looks like a larger/more direct opening than the door.

Do you have a picture from the side of storage area (like standing in the walkway) that shows how far this opens? Any estimate on what the angle between the fiberglass and the seat back is when full opened?

Also, @Julian can we add this to the FAQ for future reference? I know it's not a full write up like most of the other FAQ's are, but it's a neat mod with most of the info you need to get it done yourself.

Thanks to all!
I looked to do a similar mod, except instead of hinges, I would use magnets and the existing metal tabs.

I haven't messed with it too much since I wired in my GPS last summer but once the weather gets a bit warmer here in NY I plan to add it to the list of growing mods I plan this year.

Plan would be to remove the threaded studs but keep the metals tabs up top. Would allow the seat to be fully removable but still stay pretty secure when under way. May add a strap/pull tab to the bottom for easy lifting.

From there it's making sure the fiberglass opening is smooth and storage is capable of being used without bouncing into wires/cables under the helm.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From there it's making sure the fiberglass opening is smooth and storage is capable of being used without bouncing into wires/cables under the helm.
Interesting take on the idea. Hadn't considered just making it 100% removable with magnets to hold it in place. I like that even better than the hinged idea honestly. I wonder about removing the metal bracket and using some other form of wedge or something to hold the top in place. Perhaps with snaps instead of magnets to hold the bottom down? Just thinking of someone accessing that space with the boat sloshing around, those metal brackets looking kind of sharp.

I too am curious about how to keep gear/trash/etc from bonking into the wires while underway in that space. Guess some wireloom and zip-ties are in our future?

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting take on the idea. Hadn't considered just making it 100% removable with magnets to hold it in place. I like that even better than the hinged idea honestly. I wonder about removing the metal bracket and using some other form of wedge or something to hold the top in place. Perhaps with snaps instead of magnets to hold the bottom down? Just thinking of someone accessing that space with the boat sloshing around, those metal brackets looking kind of sharp.

I too am curious about how to keep gear/trash/etc from bonking into the wires while underway in that space. Guess some wireloom and zip-ties are in our future?
Yeah I haven't fully investigated keeping everything less sharp than it is, but I'm sure some foam and limiting access will be the best way to go.

I'm always a fan of less moving parts. Less to break and fix. The seat is already removable, leave it that way, just make it easier to do.

As far as I terror storage I was thinking a few tubberware storage bins or something that will prevent small items from bouncing around. I plan to use the space to store some smaller items that don't need to be accessed as often or maybe store some spare life jackets and lines.

Either I don't think you can go wrong with it as it is another storage space that can be utilized.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had this mod in place for about 1 season and I love it. It is holding up great. The only additional change is to add some weather stripping across the top of the cushion.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Awesome Mod, putting it on the list..I lost count how many times I've had to remove that PITA backrest to access the helm steering/electrical..this will be a life saver and access to more storage...Bravo :thumbsup: