• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bungee Docklines VS. Traditional Double Braided Nylon lines

YANKEES5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Was thinking about buying a few of the Kwik Tek Bungee Dock lines instead of the traditional nylon lines. I will be tying off a Yamaha SX192. Looking for some opinions from others that may or may not have used these and why. Thanks

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a couple of these that I use. They work fine for short periods, but I wouldn't leave the boat moored with just them. I also think they are fine for the bow and stern when using spring lines. One down side is that they are a set length, so slack in the lines depends on how the dock cleats are spaced.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was thinking about buying a few of the Kwik Tek Bungee Dock lines instead of the traditional nylon lines. I will be tying off a Yamaha SX192. Looking for some opinions from others that may or may not have used these and why. Thanks
I'm guessing most or all of your boating is on lakes @YANKEES5? Bungee are adequate for short term tie ups if it's not too windy. I wouldn't use them for overnight, windy or stormy conditions. If you're boating much in the ocean you also have tidal action to be concerned with. Bungee will abrade much faster than traditional dock lines. I have also used my docklines, tied together, for towing a disabled boat so they have additional uses.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would stick with regular dock lines. I have a set of these and my biggest complaint is they don't fit larger docking cleats on docks. I thought they would be faster to tie for for short periods but honestly I don't use them at all anymore.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They are awesome for short term at a dock. Not ideal for tie ups or long term slip.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I am old fashioned, even though a relatively novice boater. I got me braided dock lines from day 1 and have never looked back. Tying them up takes 2 seconds, and their strength is unmatched. Elastic lines just don't give me a lot of confidence. I know they will probably be fine... but why? Ok, if I couldn't tie a cleat knot, I guess. But that is so easy for me after the slightest practice, I could not see going to anything else.

Just my POV.

YANKEES5

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I just decided to stick with the traditional lines and order 6 new double braided ones from Shoreline Marine

CFD3Captain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I use the Stretch and Slide dock lines and love them. Super convenient for the kids to tie off with them.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You'll hear a pattern from people who have been boating for a while. We all prefer a traditional Nylon dock line. The strength of the line is one thing, but more than that is that you don't want to have full tension on the line all of the time. All that does is cause unnecessary rubbing with your fenders on the dock. The best thing to do is figure out how your boat docks the best and use forward and aft spring lines for short term docking and then add bow and stern lines for long term docking. This will keep your boat off the dock and in place.

If you were to try and do that with bungee lines, you would have a constant pivot of the bow and stern of your boat toward and away from the dock that would eventually result in a dock strike.

Everyone I see with bungee lines goes from a bow or midship cleat forward to the dock and from the stern aft to the dock, this holds the boat nicely near the dock... but the boat is rubbing on the fender the entire time it is moored and that is not good.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I used regular braided lines. Since my boat is Blue, I ordered two blue 25' lines for the bow, and then have four 15' gold for spring and stern lines. For the bow lines, with the boat on the trailer, I also put the loop on the bow cleats and ran them back to the start of the jet intake, cut them, then burned the end to seal. That was just my insurance policy to keep them out of the impellers in case the end gets dropped overboard by a 'helpful' deckhand. I figure two feet less line is OK in this instance.

I don't use bungee dock lines for around docks, they have too much give in them. I do however, have two of these: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Snubber-Dock-Line-6&i=87064&r=view&from=grid
They come with loops on both ends and I find they are the perfect length to secure a tow toy on the swim platform between the two stern cleats. Loop one end in a cleat, run the bungee line through the handles of the tube, then secure the other loop to the opposite cleat. That thing stays there and it's easy to secure.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We used to get these rubber dog bone looking things that you would tie into your nylon dock line. You would still position your lines to tighten just before the boat could com into contact with the dock then add this, leaving slack for tides, they would keep the boat centered and off the dock. I really see no need for them on a lake with floating docks ifs that is what you have, any other short term deal I would just opt for bumpers.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like using the bungee kind from Yamaha on the bow when we're stringing boats together...or for temporary docking.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrWizard getting fancy with the collage avatar, nice,:thumbsup: