• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bunk Scratches

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My bunk boards are worn up front near the bow, not the rear. I try to float on at no wake 1, no power loading allowed by me.
Sounds like you have a steep ramp @njmr2fan. So your scratches are primarily up by the bow? As I mentioned I transitioned to manually loading using the dock lines and winching the last couple of feet. If that is possible you may want to try that.

@Williamsone46. It's not the carpeting causing the issue but the dirt and sand it traps both at the ramp and on the road. The plastic (generic term) and hdpe boards rinse clean when launching & retrieving. They act similarily to our anodes as the hdpe material is less noble (softer) than the gelcoat. The issue with these materials seemed to be more due to towing than launching & retrieving.

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed my bunks started scratching when I winches it up the last time (I never powerload). Is there a way to buff these out? Just ordered liquid rollers from Amazon to prevent further damage.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought these on clearance from trailerpartsdepot.com

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-1305-bunk-slicks-fits-2x6-3-x15-white-10-pcs.aspxche

Install was straight forward and I mounted them right on top of my carpet. The hull sits atop 2 rows of raised nylon. There are dips and channels to allow water to wash away debris and sand and keep a clean running edge. Super slick. When we loaded the boat I watched the boat slip as I was trying to get the bow hook on. When I tapped the brakes to set the boat forward, it moved easy. Time will tell how these workout, but for $26 I can always throw them out.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/p-1305-bunk-slicks-fits-2x6-3-x15-white-10-pcs.aspxche

Install was straight forward and I mounted them right on top of my carpet. The hull sits atop 2 rows of raised nylon. There are dips and channels to allow water to wash away debris and sand and keep a clean running edge. Super slick. When we loaded the boat I watched the boat slip as I was trying to get the bow hook on. When I tapped the brakes to set the boat forward, it moved easy. Time will tell how these workout, but for $26 I can always throw them out.
Does the thought of those screws backing out keep you up at night? That would cause a lot more hull damage than the carpets.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I mean I thought about that, but they're in there tight. Furthermore, when I unload and load I get to see the trailer bunks.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have had great success with the green in door out door carpet. It has the ability to wash most if not all sand and mud from itself and lasts a lot longer than carpet. I have used it on two Yamaha boats and 3 Yamaha jet skis and have no scratches. I also put it on my boat and jet skis lift bunks. Have had no issues. Its not the prettiest product, but works very good.
Papa

Mtschelling

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I wound up going to gator bak. The lake I frequent is sandy and surface scratches were inevitable (even with rinsing and frequent silicone applications). I forgot to take pictures during the install but I couldn’t believe how much sand permeated the factory carpet.

Attachments

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@njmr2fan I'm interested in how these things seem to be working too. The comments I find on line seem to be generally positive other than the screws being too short. I'm probably at the poing that I'll need to something with my bunks by the end of the season and want to have a plan.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far so good. These covers are slippery! That's the only concern I have. Where the boat used to hold itself onto the bunks by weight alone, I bet I could unhook the boat, take off in the parking lot and lose the boat right off the trailer. There's no problem idling into the trailer and the boat sliding all the way to the bow roller, and sometimes sliding back. I always use the safety chain on the bow hook and always "set" the boat with a brake check and then re tighten all the straps before we leave the parking lot. Probably too soon to see any progression of scratching on the boat, I can only the see wear from the original carpets.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bedlamfirm , with the boat on the bunks you cant see them, I have no pics of them, ill have to take some on one of our trips.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

@njmr2fan it looks like you bought one set. I'm guessing 2 sets then for a 23 foot boat? Would love to see pics of your install.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought 1 set correct. If spaced out a few more inches, I cant see why 1 set wouldn't be okay for a 23'?