• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buyers Remorse????

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Our 2nd boat we ever had was an ar190. It had been about 5 years since our last boat. Previous was anI/O (hated it). Drove my buddies 16' season and told my wife we need to look at these. Anywho, ended up buying brand new ar190 2012 all online through the dealer. Never even saw it. Showed up at the dealer To sign and see it.....panic started. It seemed huge! I was scared. Towed it the 55 miles home half terrified (we always wet slipped, never towed more than around the marina). It was my bday also so friends came over had some drinks and my wife invited a full boat to the river. HATED IT. The damn boat spinning. No one showed me how to install the cover. Hard time in slow speed. That night I was in tears wanting to return it.....then I found this place. Bought fins. No one but my wife and I. 1 day. Anxiety. Gone. I found my love in these damn boats. Moved up to the ar240 in 2015. No issues. Love it. You will to my Yamaha friend! Slow down. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of your pace as long as your prepared. Your family and you will love and enjoy that boat. Just be careful....boats CAN make babies. LOL. Enjoy it.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whatever works! Apparently 90% of grade school kids agree with you. I think many schools are banning them since going "viral".

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me tell you about myself. I am married with 2 beautiful children (7 and 9) and a fantastic wife who is a fantastic mother and can back a trailer with the best of them. I suffer from anxiety and once in a while I get an attack that can overtake my life. That day came yesterday.

In the morning I dropped off our old 2002 Seadoo 185 to someone who had purchased it. Took it out on the lake and everything went fine. For a 2002 the boat was still in great condition and was easy to deal with. All was good because later that afternoon my 2015 Limited S was being dropped off for a sea trial.

Later that afternoon we took the limited S out for a spin. What a difference driving between the old Seadoo and this boat. At first I had issues controlling the speed and missed the trailer when coming back. That's when anxiety started. On the second try I was able to put it on the trailer but when we pulled it out of the water the boat was crooked. Back in the water again. After a few more tries we were able to get it right and I pulled away for home. Thank god there was nobody at the launch.

Once I got it up the driveway I started to doubt my purchase. The size, the power everything started spinning in my mind. Did I make a mistake and should I have keep the smaller, simpler boat. At that moment if the dealer was open I probably would have called them to put it up for sale.

Normally my resting heartbeat is 59-62. At this point my pulse was 123 bpm. I even told my wife that I made a mistake and we should sell the boat or trade it in and whatever the loss is I will live with it.

Cleaned the boat and engines and went inside for dinner. I hardly ate and had to take medicine to calm me down. For months I have been looking forward to that day, reading this forum and getting useful tips.

The day came and now I am wondering if I made a poor decision.

For those who suffer with anxiety it can play havoc with your day to day decisions. It pretty much consumes you. As I am writing this I am a little better but still questioning my decision.

We will see what the next few months hold and I feel moving forward. It is a beautiful boat!!!!!
Not to help you spend your money, but I would HIGHLY recommend Cobra fins. Email Jeff, he is a strait shooter. His prices are great, and his fins add value and great functionality to slow speed, high speed, and reverse handling.
He will probably recommend AKs with Fangs and a second rod.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just upgraded from 99 seadoo sportster 1800 to Yamaha sx230 HO.

The seadoo was too easy to maneuver compared to the sx230. Without fins it's so very squirrelly. I got the fins right away and the differences is night and day in slow speeds. It's almost back to steering as well as the seadoo, but Yamaha actually has a powerful reverse, so that's a plus there. Next time you are out on choppy seas you will be happy again. I'm sure you evaluated your decision carefully before alternating the cash, those reasons are still true.

Best of luck!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Lots of great advice on here. Watch the video
. This is my first jetboat, so there were apprehensions here too. I watch the videos about maneuvering, and practiced.l Although I may at some point, put fins on, I honestly dont feel I need them! Make sure you check out the Thrust Vectors at jetboatpilot.com. The fins are similar to the Cobras, but there are some differences....pluses and minuses to both. But check both before you decide. The tips about the trailer were spot on. The biggest mistakes people make is not being deep enough or being too deep. Take your time....if it doesnt look/feel right as you approach the trailer, accept it and reset. Dont really give a hoot who is watching or what they may be thinking...everybody has been there. Good luck, and welcome!

sledpepper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, hang in there and don't worry. Every boat owner has experienced those moments of uncertainty and struggle with docking on the trailer. The cobra fins are worth every cent, and patients is key. The yamahas are slow to initially rospond to direction change at slow speeds compared to the seadoo, but the stability and comfort of the Yamaha will make you wonder why you kept your seadoo so long. I had an 1800 seadoo challenger, which was a lot of fun, but the Yamaha really fit the needs of our family better.

Posting on this forum is a great way to get support and tip with your new boat. You have a beautiful boat, enjoy it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Let me tell you about myself. I am married with 2 beautiful children (7 and 9) and a fantastic wife who is a fantastic mother and can back a trailer with the best of them. I suffer from anxiety and once in a while I get an attack that can overtake my life. That day came yesterday.

In the morning I dropped off our old 2002 Seadoo 185 to someone who had purchased it. Took it out on the lake and everything went fine. For a 2002 the boat was still in great condition and was easy to deal with. All was good because later that afternoon my 2015 Limited S was being dropped off for a sea trial.

Later that afternoon we took the limited S out for a spin. What a difference driving between the old Seadoo and this boat. At first I had issues controlling the speed and missed the trailer when coming back. That's when anxiety started. On the second try I was able to put it on the trailer but when we pulled it out of the water the boat was crooked. Back in the water again. After a few more tries we were able to get it right and I pulled away for home. Thank god there was nobody at the launch.

Once I got it up the driveway I started to doubt my purchase. The size, the power everything started spinning in my mind. Did I make a mistake and should I have keep the smaller, simpler boat. At that moment if the dealer was open I probably would have called them to put it up for sale.

Normally my resting heartbeat is 59-62. At this point my pulse was 123 bpm. I even told my wife that I made a mistake and we should sell the boat or trade it in and whatever the loss is I will live with it.

Cleaned the boat and engines and went inside for dinner. I hardly ate and had to take medicine to calm me down. For months I have been looking forward to that day, reading this forum and getting useful tips.

The day came and now I am wondering if I made a poor decision.

For those who suffer with anxiety it can play havoc with your day to day decisions. It pretty much consumes you. As I am writing this I am a little better but still questioning my decision.

We will see what the next few months hold and I feel moving forward. It is a beautiful boat!!!!!
As someone that has just recently had to fight anxiety issues I know first hand how insane it can be that your brain screws up your body so much!
I have a beat up 212ss that I can trade you for that Limited S! lol!
Seriously though, you had the small starter boat, so you are ready for the bigger boat. Yes, it handles slightly different than your Seadoo, every boat does! There are times the smaller boat will handle and load better, and there are times the bigger boat will load better and handle better!
Where do you live? I didn't see in your signature. Would you like someone to go out with you a time or two that owns one of these bigger boats? Maybe give you a ride on their's? It does have a unique handling and everyone does different things for sure!
Seriously, if you want, message me privately and I will call you and talk you through your decision. I know first hand that sometimes just talking to someone can help. Like I said, put up where you are located and lets see if we can't get someone near you to help load once, or just take you out for a spin on their boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
trust me that is what Dr. Hippocrates Yamahopoulos said.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And we know the word Yamaha, like all other words... Comes from the Greek!

TheGreekTitan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The word Yamaha comes from the Greek words Yam...Which means sweet fruit from the ground...Ah...Which means...oh I understand..and Ha...Which means funny ha ha....So you see....It's a sweet thing, in your mouth that makes sense...and when you're done you laugh and enjoy the day

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, forget the watchers. Trailer guides help alot. The first time I had my boat out, and sometimes even now, I have to make several passes at the trailer. Getting the trailer depth is important. You should be able to find a spot where the water is up a certain depth on your tires that works for your ramp. Last thing, be patient. I found by barely creeping forward worst best. It takes a few seconds for the helm to respond. I need to try the "no wake mode. I've found with the throttle just forward enough works for me. I have to wait probably a couple of seconds after I put in a rudder input for the boat to react. But if you got the trailer the right depth, and moving slow, your boat should slide right into the bunks.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@weaselman I bet most of us who have purchased these boats new or used have experienced momentary bouts of buyers remorse, this too will pass. I was raised around boats, and have not been far from a non jet boat for 50+ years. That being said, these boats and their drive controls take practice. Many use a fender, line removed, find a calm area with no one around and toss it in the water and practice maneuvering around it. Every day out will be different. On my outing a few days ago, in a 15mph cross wind, bimini up, while approaching the dock at the ramp, I made unwanted contact between the padded dock and my hull forward of my fenders. I was approaching slowly and no harm done. I just put VEVE guides on my trailer last week and they take a lot of anxiety out of landing the boat, prior i would worry about the hull making contact with the trailer fenders. With the guides the stern will not drift sideways off the trailer and when pulling out go slow and the boat will settle on the bunks within an inch every time. I walk my boat onto the trailer so making sure it is deep enough is essential. The other day it was too shallow, as the nose would not come over the roller. I blame it on high water levels this time of year, usually launch retrieve further down the ramp, different angle. I had to get in the truck to back it deeper, twice. With all this said, practice, conditions differ, and the guides do help reduce anxiety and I love my fins. Wishing you and your family good times. You bought an awesome boat and joined an equally awesome forum.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think lots of people feel buyers remorse on purchases large that are a want not a need.
I wouldn't sweat it too much and enjoy that beautiful boat. I have loved every minute with the family in ours over the last year! Yolo (you only live once). Enjoy my friend!

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@weaselman I understand your anxiety. I just purchased my first jet boat at 72. I went from a 25 foot pontoon boat with cruising speeds of 16 MPH and a turning radius that would make a MACK truck look like it could win on an agility course to a 2011 sx210 with a max speed in the forties and turns on a dime. Before I purchased it I even asked on this forum if 72 was to old, got some mixed replies but then again most of them came from those a lot younger then me. Did it take a little bit of getting use to absolutely am I enjoying it absolutely. So anyway I bought and I am having fun. I have launched and taken it out of the water by myself. So what I am saying is the more you use it the more comfortable you will become with it and don't ever forget "life is to short not to have fun". Just go out and enjoy[flag]

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First off I am so glad I found this forum who needs to pay a counselor when I have everyone here giving me sound advice. My wife is a saint and has calmed me down a bit I am still nervous but willing to try.

I agree that the trailer was probably too deep. If I recall the fenders were underwater and you could see the stern swaying in the water.

The videos have been very helpful and looking to experiment. Putting this boat into forward or reverse is so different than the Sea-Doo.

I have a beautiful venture commander trailer with padded boat guides and have and will install Cobra Fins.

For those that asked I live in Waterford CT and typically head to the Niantic River or Napatree in Rhode Island. Hopefully looking to expand our horizons to head out to Block Island.

Thanks again for the encouragement and support you have certainly helped.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off I am so glad I found this forum who needs to pay a counselor when I have everyone here giving me sound advice. My wife is a saint and has calmed me down a bit I am still nervous but willing to try.

I agree that the trailer was probably too deep. If I recall the fenders were underwater and you could see the stern swaying in the water.

The videos have been very helpful and looking to experiment. Putting this boat into forward or reverse is so different than the Sea-Doo.

I have a beautiful venture commander trailer with padded boat guides and have and will install Cobra Fins.

For those that asked I live in Waterford CT and typically head to the Niantic River or Napatree in Rhode Island. Hopefully looking to expand our horizons to head out to Block Island.

Thanks again for the encouragement and support you have certainly helped.
These boats are different, but mostly in a very good way. There is a reason those are taking the entire segment of recreational boating over by storm. The famous brands whose dealers used to belittle Yamaha jet boats now offer their own BRP-powered jet boats as front line sport boat offerings, Chaparral, Glastron, Scarab - all trying to emulate Yamaha. Yamaha is still dominant - for a reason.
I would predict that by the end of the Summer you will be bragging about your Yammie, lol.

--