• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buyers Remorse????

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Let me tell you about myself. I am married with 2 beautiful children (7 and 9) and a fantastic wife who is a fantastic mother and can back a trailer with the best of them. I suffer from anxiety and once in a while I get an attack that can overtake my life. That day came yesterday.

In the morning I dropped off our old 2002 Seadoo 185 to someone who had purchased it. Took it out on the lake and everything went fine. For a 2002 the boat was still in great condition and was easy to deal with. All was good because later that afternoon my 2015 Limited S was being dropped off for a sea trial.

Later that afternoon we took the limited S out for a spin. What a difference driving between the old Seadoo and this boat. At first I had issues controlling the speed and missed the trailer when coming back. That's when anxiety started. On the second try I was able to put it on the trailer but when we pulled it out of the water the boat was crooked. Back in the water again. After a few more tries we were able to get it right and I pulled away for home. Thank god there was nobody at the launch.

Once I got it up the driveway I started to doubt my purchase. The size, the power everything started spinning in my mind. Did I make a mistake and should I have keep the smaller, simpler boat. At that moment if the dealer was open I probably would have called them to put it up for sale.

Normally my resting heartbeat is 59-62. At this point my pulse was 123 bpm. I even told my wife that I made a mistake and we should sell the boat or trade it in and whatever the loss is I will live with it.

Cleaned the boat and engines and went inside for dinner. I hardly ate and had to take medicine to calm me down. For months I have been looking forward to that day, reading this forum and getting useful tips.

The day came and now I am wondering if I made a poor decision.

For those who suffer with anxiety it can play havoc with your day to day decisions. It pretty much consumes you. As I am writing this I am a little better but still questioning my decision.

We will see what the next few months hold and I feel moving forward. It is a beautiful boat!!!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every boat handles different, take the time to learn to drive, go out with no expectations except to have a few success's and failures, accept the fact now there will be scratches,

Maybe update your profile with your location and there might be a member nearby that would go out with you for an afternoon to help take the anxiety and learning curve away,

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Use it frequently, have a 11 people on it, tow some skiers using the tower. You need to leverage the incremental size, power and passenger capacity that were part of your "upgrade" decision. If you use it "the same way" as your prior boat, your may continue to accumulate the buyers remorse feelings.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with the above comments. Take the time to get to know the boat. Don't jump to conclusions. Does you boat have fins installed? Might want to look into them? Do any other JETBOATERS.net members live close to you, maybe they can go out and lend some tips or tricks that they do. I was the same way years ago, now I( ( we as a forum ) amaze people where I can get my boat into with ease.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep telling yourself it's just a learning curve. Also, I agree with the other comments. You need one full day handling the boat with people and enjoying yourself before you make that call. Lastly, have you considered a slip? Life is much easier pulling into a slip vs getting it on a trailer. Cost sucks, but peace of mind is worth every penny.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@weaselman let me tell you about myself. My resting heard bit is in triple digits and the boat makes it drop at double digits.

My first day on the water, March 31st, was a complete disaster. I retrieved the boat 5 times to make sure that it was not crooked. On the final trial, my wife (110lb) was winching while I was pushing the stbd side of the boat. Trust me when I tell you that the though of getting riding of the boat crossed my mind for the entire weekend. The same way it crossed my mind to get a divorce the first time I had a fight with my wife. Since March 31st we have been out 4 more times and each time, it gets easier and easier to handle. and by easier and easier I mean exponentially easier.
If I am allowed to extrapolate here, I would say you had/have a minor panic attack. It is very common on responsible middle aged man who thing that they got a better life than they deserve. If I acted ever time I felt that God dealed me a better hand that I deserve, I will probably be leaving on the streets now.

What you are experiencing is not remorse, but rather an exaggerated sense of responsibility. You might not deserve the limited S, but your wife and kids do. For the love of God do not return that boat. And in the even that you really loose your mind please give people at Jetboaters an opportunity to buy it. I am sure someone would love to take that boat to Bimini this year or next year.

Disclaimer: that last senescence was worded to spike your interest on joining the Jetboaters Bimini fling.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Awe man hang in there,! I feel for you my stepdaughter is learning to deal with her anxiety and I have seen much of what you describe yourself going through. I usually suffer from sellers remorse... Take it one step at a time, and focus your efforts to build some confidence each time out. What works for me is I focus or experiment on one weakness and counter it with one or two strong/fun points. For example recovering your new boat today is a weakness due to the new learning curve, everything that worked with your Seadoo is now different, I suspect you had the trailer a tad too deep.

Through some research and some focused trial and error, I found the best trailer depth tends to be keep the front half the tandem axel fender out of the water. As you ease up to it obviously friction will stop your progress about a third to half way up, once stopped steer your thrusters to adjust the rear of the boat right or left if needed in order to get the V realigned then gently power up to the roller or very close to it. I usually power up until I bump the roller. With really steep ramps you may need to be even less trailer in the water to keep yourself aligned... My point is practice what scares you (in small doses if you must) until you master it while Enjoying the new found space and amenities of the LS. These boats are a ton of fun but I too was a bit taken back by the size at first. Our 242x is my first boat purchase, moved up from years of tinny lightweight jet skis and occasionally borrowing my dad's smaller much lower profile 19' bass boat. I'm sure other will chime in and share their experiences and what they found to overcome their apprehensions...

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey weaslman, you have an AWESOME boat. You're experiencing the pains of boat learning. You'll be fine, your family is going to have a wonderful time on that boat, and so will you.

there are so many stories of people having trouble with new boats as far as getting used to them, you are definitely not alone.

Just relax, you sound like you have a wonderful family (kids that age are awesome, they still adore you) and you definitely have an awesome boat!

Where are you located?

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I grew up with boats, and I was a nervous wreck the first time I launched and retrieved my 242, hated every minute of it. Didn't take but a couple of tries to figure out what I was doing wrong at the dock, in my case I wasn't turning the engines off assuming it would stay still, once I figured that out, it was a piece of cake.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't trailered or launched my boat yet, so you all are actually ahead of me , as long as I don't permanently damage the hull, other mistakes aren't a huge deal. And really, that's what insurance is for, it's only money.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my first jet boat. We had a day when we first got the boat that it took us several tries to get it lined up in light winds. Now we can do it in 25mph winds.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Trailer guides are a huge help and confidence builder. Hang in there and you will be bossing that boat around in no time!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As others have said, hang in there...it's a learning curve for sure. Here's a few suggestions I've learned:
1) for the first few times out, keep the group small...and let them know you're going to practice maneuvers. I'm going to pick up my new boat in two weeks and you can bet that I'll be spending some time out in the middle of the lake practicing doing circles around a white boat fender. I'll also practice pivoting the stern into the fender ... which will help understand the differences between a keeled and non-keeled boat.

2) Getting the boat level on the trailer (and not risking it hitting a fender when coming out) can be a challenge. When loading the boat on the trailer, I always watch to make sure that the front radius of the fenders are just breaking the surface of the water - and they are doing so evenly. If they aren't, then he who's backing the trailer in, gets to take another stab it it. Once the boat is up to the bow stop and the driver is ready to pull the boat and trailer up on the ramp, I move over and stand between the windshield. That way my 200lbs of weight is on the keel and will also keep the boat even.

3) You may want to invest in some fins as others have said. Some people don't see the need and over the years, I can handle the boat without them. The difference is they did help when I first learned and they also help new drivers gain confidence. For that reason, I already have a pair of Cobras ready to install on my boat.

4) It's a boat. Yes, we pay a lot for the pleasure of using it. It will get scratches and dings on it. The only ones that don't are the barn boats that never see water. Remember, never approach anything faster than you're willing to hit it. If you do, fiberglass can be repaired or at the least buffed out.

5) Remember to take time to relax...that's why we do it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Practice makes perfect. Hang in there and don't get too discouraged! Life is too short and no amount of a fiberglass scratch repair or hurt pride should keep you from enjoying boating.

Sounds like y'all are putting the trailer too deep and that's why its coming out crooked. Over time and if you go to the same ramp you should be able to quickly learn to gage where your "sweet spot" is for how deep to put the trailer bunks and fenders. You don't want your fenders completely submerged as that will likely put your bunks too deep.

You can also get some trailer guides and set them close to the side of the hull. They will help keep your boat lined up even if you put the bunks too deep. They also help on windy days or when there is current.

Get some fins, fangs, water claws whatever to help with low speed handling. Personally I would suggest getting used to the boat without extra fins and see if you develop skill and if not then you can always get more fins for improved low speed response and handling.

Another tip is Use No Wake Mode to help keep you lined up on the trailer as no thrust = no steering. By using No Wake Mode it makes it so you don't have to worry about throttle position and you can even modulate Forward and Reverse (1st detents only) while No Wake Mode stays engaged. This video may help you understand how to use No Wake Mode to your advantage around the dock or when retrieving ...

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@weaselman Hang in there! the anxiety - it shall pass. I totally feel for you.
You are getting very good advice here.

Those boats of ours are NO BS.
They are incredibly robust and hold value.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like you had your trailer too deep so it didn't center properly. That is a simple fix. Other than that, just take your time. Use a buoy out in open water to practice approaching it at slow speeds. Consider getting the Thrust vectors to add more steering capability. Add trailer guides (with PADS) to help getting on the trailer.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had two single engine jet boats before getting a twin engine Yamaha. The single engine jet boats handled so much better at low speed. My first day with the Yamaha was almost my last. Just couldn't control it well enough to dock it without multiple attempts and was very stressed getting it back on the trailer the first time without guides.
Ordered, received and installed cobra fins before the second outing and fell in love with the boat enough to upgrade to another one (from 230 to 242) which already had fins installed.

Get some fins they will change your experience and the way you feel about the boat. Trailer guides help as well.

As for my pulse MD tells me to be more concerned about my blood pressure so I'm doing the usual to try and get it down and keep it down (I.e., diet and excercise aka starve and run).

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@weaselman I don't suffer from anxiety and yet every spring when I get the boat out and take it on the water the first couple of times my heart rate goes up and I worry about a whole bunch of things. I think you will be fine simply because you realize the source of your anxiety and therefore should be able to take steps to mitigate those issues. Here's to a great boating season for you and for all!

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I have anxiety issues. Bought a travel trailer years ago and sold it after 2 outings. Couldn't take the stress. Tried a boat 3 years ago. All the usual chest tightness, stomach ache, constant worry. First 5-6 times I took it out I made sure ramp was dead and I had no audience and plenty of time. Fast forward and much easier time now. Still get anxious pulling up to ramp, but certainly not anything I can't manage. Stick with it. It gets much easier. I do sympathize with your situation.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok so I feel you. But this is boating good times and bad times. More good than bad. One thing I will share ...forget about the watchers!!!!!we were all one of them at one time or another. And even when you bump or hit the dock those people are formulating plans and dreaming about buying a boat to do what you are doing. Be proud of yourself and be good at your new craft. It takes practice. Slow like a pro!!!! The rest we can leave out!!!! Have fun!!