• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a 2021 AR210 - Should I get Cobra Jet?

Yeary4

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a couple days left to decide before the Cobra Jet sale is over, But Buying a 2021 AR210 and just sold my 2020 SX190. I had the CJ on the SX190 and it made a difference at low speed handling at dock as well as loading.

With the twin engine throttle control on the AR210, would like to hear others thoughts on the AR210 with a CJ system (which one) and without.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The slow speed maneuvering on these boats is awful...worse than awful...If it helps that it’ll make your life easier and worth every penny.

I can always tell when a Yamaha is coming at me thru the slow-no-wake zone because the boat it swerving back and forth..

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no thrust vectors or lateral thrusters installed and I've never had an issue maneuvering my AR210 at slow speeds. There are some spots in the intracoastal where I'm slow speed for a mile or more and I have no issue keeping the boat on a straight heading without swerving. It'll take a little practice at first but with twin engines and articulating keel, you should be good to go in stock form.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having twin engines and getting some practice will make the Yamahas no problem to drive at low speeds. I've found differential throttle much easier to steer with than using the steering wheel.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. Yes you can get good at steering without it. But who else drives your boat? Will they all get enough helm time to get good at it? What about coming off speed and losing steering?

I traded in a 4wd SUV once with not much tread on the tires. I drove it 4 hours, to my hometown, to trade it in. I asked the sales guy if I should get tires and he said no, we can do it cheaper and it won't affect your trade in value that much. I get there, sales guy takes it out for a drive and puts in the the ditch. He wasn't use to the tires and therefore could handle them. Same story with these boats, you can get good, but why not have something that others don't have to put the time into learning how to perfect.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think you should do some real research before you do anything, focus on FEATURES and BENEFITS also materials and total cost including shipping, I would say forget any sales if it is not really going to do what you need why waste your money .
I have buy direct discount pricing on all my steering systems all the time! I also give extra discounts to first responders, active military and retired or disables military.
My prices are so low that cost is not an issue.
Buy the boat ,go out and drive it AS IS do not let yourself get all wrapped up in a sale, see how the boat handles docking and slow speed maneuvering, see how it handles in mid range speeds, towing tubes ,water skiers etc, see how it handles rough conditions, and see how it steers without thrust or in a rapid deceleration situation.
See how guest operators feel driving the boat.
Now keep in mind the features and benefits, after all you have my steering and it probably spoiled you .
Now the boat you are purchasing has a keel and a rudder, the rudder is attached to ONLY 1 nozzle my systems have a patented second tie rod to balance out the system.
Your boat also has a rack and pinion steering helm ,you will notice the travel is twice as far as the boat you currently have.
This is noticeable especially for people coming from a conventional Yamaha helm.
Now you also have the keel and this will make the boat feel slow to respond in high speed turns in comparison to what you are accustom to.
My steering has come a long way in the past 19 years and it is not just an at the dock setup.
It is a high performance system with big super fins that automatically change the influence levels controlled by the position of the hull on the water .
At planing speeds only the fin sections under the nozzle are making contact with the water, and you get to decide how much that is.
When the boat is on plane the planing surfaces under the nozzles between the fins actually help to stabilize the hull in chop as well as reduce the spray behind the boat.
These planing surfaces also help get the boat on plane faster.
Now there is also a special set of top fins that do not do anything on plane as they are not needed but when the boat comes off plane these are submerged and now the boat has 4 fins in the water to control it at the dock in wind , waves, boat traffic etc.
This entire system forms a V configuration and is made to stay above the keel and rudder intentionally so as not to increase the draft of the boat.
And this complete deluxe super magnum AK-19 system costs only $489 all year long at the buy direct discount price. it is also compatible with the AK fangs for an additional 45 dollars.
NO plastic parts no epoxies, easy bolt on installation and a 30 day satisfaction money back guarantee posted on my web site.
And as usual this is only one of several systems available for your new boat plus that price includes free domestic priority mail .
So do your research . Haste makes waste as we all have learned !

Attachments

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
get it, if you dont like it sell it. there are enough people here that will vouch for it and even buy it when the next guy comes along. its easy to install, so easy i did it wrong, talked to this gentleman 👆 woke him up actually. sorry about that. and he got me fixed up, i forgot to add an original part back in. not to mention theres videos on how to. and i cant say how bad the steering was before because installed mine before our first outing. but its not bad at all with it on. single engine tho* good luck

GPK66

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Third summer with my 2018 AR210 and I have never had a problem getting into the tightest of docks or maneuvering close in even in rough water like we get out here in some of the bigger lakes in the west. The twin controls allow you to really control the rotation and position of the boat. I was warned by people that these boats were super hard to control before I bought mine, but in fact I think it is easier to control than a prop boat. Never had an issue. I would take the boat out into an area and just practice with it. In no time you will be spinning 360's with easy. The engines operate totally independently, and I found that you can stop and turn almost on a dime. Get a couple extra bumpers, and you should be fine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is at the dock steering only and then there is COBRA steering, at the dock and a hell of a lot more BIG difference .

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Buy the boat ,go out and drive it AS IS do not let yourself get all wrapped up in a sale, see how the boat handles docking and slow speed maneuvering, see how it handles in mid range speeds, towing tubes ,water skiers etc, see how it handles rough conditions, and see how it steers without thrust or in a rapid deceleration situation.
See how guest operators feel driving the boat.
Best advice Jeff has given. Go give it a shot first. At least then you will appreciate what his products do when you come back to buy them, as you probably will. And if not, he just saved you some money. He has been making steering systems for jet drives longer than most of us have been boating. I think you can trust a strong supporter of this forum with that advice.