• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a Boat This Week...What Do I need?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As to towing, 25' of line is not sufficient to safely tow. You probably need about twice that at least. For towing, thickness-wise, you will want to know the test strength of the line more than the thickness.

The one time my boat went to the shop, it was $450 for an oil change, plugs and (allegedly) checking the grease (two engines). After that I never had them do it again...

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So how long do you need for an emergency tow line? The 25 footer that I bought has this listed for the tensile strength: On a new line, the breaking tensile load will be greater than 4,000lb.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tow line is 60' (basically 2) and it isn't a line it is a 20'000 lb no/low stretch strap. I keep two of these in the boat. If I am stuck on something like a sandbar, etc. 4k is probably not going to cut it, plus those lines have too much stretch in the for me. I have seen someone towing with a rope and it break and it can recoil, although minimal.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lengths I have read for towing suggested are 10x the length of the towed boat. Now, that does seem excessive to me for a low-speed tow on a lake, but being guided by that I would look for 2-3x the towed craft length at least.

For tensile strength, you need the wet weight of the towed craft at least; for safety, 1.5x, I would say.

Finally, @HangOutdoors is correct that you want a line that will not stretch. That may mean a strap (as he suggests). But like 3-strand nylon is out. Doublebraid is far better.

Also, consider the alternative if you are in a situation to need to tow someone: you can also tow a boat next to your boat. Use fenders and put the towed boat ahead of yours, with both spring lines and rafting lines. That will give you better control of the towed vessel. Note, though, that usually means 4 lines securing your boat to the disabled craft. Not something you want to try if the other craft is a sinking hazard--it will pull your boat down with it (in those situations, a tow behind with a single line is better, and you should have a knife handy to cut that line quickly if needed).

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My tow line is 60' (basically 2) and it isn't a line it is a 20'000 lb no/low stretch strap. I keep two of these in the boat. If I am stuck on something like a sandbar, etc. 4k is probably not going to cut it, plus those lines have too much stretch in the for me. I have seen someone towing with a rope and it break and it can recoil, although minimal.

So my local Homedepot didn’t have these so I ordered from amazon. The straps I got are huge. Since there are 2 or them, how do you attach them together? I bought some D-ring shackles but they’re way too big so I’m sending them back. How do you attach yours?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pull one eyelet through the other and pull the rope through that eye. Same way you would lengthen your watersports tow rope.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Good thread... just bought my first boat and need all the necessities. You guys weren't joking, this thread was not easy on the wallet!

It's insane how most life jackets are backordered right now... Placed some orders, but might have to buy some cheapo ones at Wal Mart to get out on the water in the meantime.

Where do you guys store your throwable PFD that is "immediately accessible"?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have an air horn in the cupholder immediately to starboard of the captain's chair. I hang the strap on that, so it hangs next to the chair. I have another (with a line attached to it) in the port storage compartment.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I have an air horn in the cupholder immediately to starboard of the captain's chair. I hang the strap on that, so it hangs next to the chair. I have another (with a line attached to it) in the port storage compartment.
Thanks for sharing... Seems like that would really get in the way and I'd be worried about it flying away in the wind. I am curious to hear about everyone else's approach.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Understood. But I have had it there for about 4-5 years (ever since I heard stories of people cited because having it in a compartment was not considered by local LEO as "immediately accessible"). Hasn't moved an inch.

But always open to a new/better idea!

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Understood. But I have had it there for about 4-5 years (ever since I heard stories of people cited because having it in a compartment was not considered by local LEO as "immediately accessible"). Hasn't moved an inch.

But always open to a new/better idea!
I'm brand new so just learning, not trying to knock it. It does seem to be an interesting requirement. I've been out on boats a good bit and can't seem to recall too often people having these things laying around except for on larger charters/yachts with a donut style mounted to the railing.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@slickstick I get where you are coming from. But the time you need your emergency gear, whether it is a throwable PFC, Flare Gun, Air Horn, Fire Extinguisher, Rope, etc., is not a good time to go fishing around for it.

I carry two throwables. One is a square cushion flotation device that is tied to a 50ft high visible (green) floating Polypropylene rope in the front under the left seat cushion compartment at the front of it with nothing on top of it. The second one I have is a throwable rope/bag. that sits right behind me in mesh netting behind the captains chair on the right side. The mesh has two compartments easily accessible. In the second compartment I have air horn, portable floating Standard Horizons VHF radio and waterproof floating foldable knife, flare gun, as well as waterproof binoculars. Just enough things that I can put in there when we stage the boat to go out and I can grab fast if needed.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@slickstick I get where you are coming from. But the time you need your emergency gear, whether it is a throwable PFC, Flare Gun, Air Horn, Fire Extinguisher, Rope, etc., is not a good time to go fishing around for it.

I carry two throwables. One is a square cushion flotation device that is tied to a 50ft high visible (green) floating Polypropylene rope in the front under the left seat cushion compartment at the front of it with nothing on top of it. The second one I have is a throwable rope/bag. that sits right behind me in mesh netting behind the captains chair on the right side. The mesh has two compartments easily accessible. In the second compartment I have air horn, portable floating Standard Horizons VHF radio and waterproof floating foldable knife, flare gun, as well as waterproof binoculars. Just enough things that I can put in there when we stage the boat to go out and I can grab fast if needed.
I like the idea of the throwable rope bag but was surprised to see that doesn't meet USCG requirements. I'll have to checkout my boat next time I get on it, hopefully it has the mesh behind the driver's seat like you're describing. That sounds like a great place for it, thanks for the tip.

Does your state require the air horn? Florida says, "efficient sound-producing device, such as a referee's whistle." A whistle comes with the signal beacon I ordered so I was going to check the box with that. The boat has a horn, so wasn't seeing why I would need an air horn as well.

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length

I also want to say that while I was shopping I read a lot of your "new boat" posts which were very helpful, so thanks for all the good content :cool:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rope bag is from my kayak and river days. You are correct it doesn't count but I don't need it to since I have the primary up front that I can get to very quickly as well. If you read my posts, you will see that I always double down on safety and backup equipment. If the boat goes down and I need to beach or get a line to someone, the bag also is easier to throw then just a rope. We also would carry them when we were salmon fishing in waders in the river. We would practice with them so if someone went down in a hole or tripped you could hit them real fast by throwing the bag.

I added the mesh webbing. I went and bought some from amazon and some from harbor freight. I fastened them behind to the right of the driver's seat with stainless steel screws, washers and 4000. Total custom and it works great.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All great ideas, but what he really needs is an understanding wife who is going to smile every time he buys more stuff from all your suggestions.