• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a Boat This Week...What Do I need?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes fuel injected, when I said he was older I mean he was probably at least in his 80's and maybe he wasn't used to see fuel injection, lol.
o_O
Oooo...you're a meanie...

Seriously though, I can't see him being active at 80.

Also I read through the description of the BFA requirements and it doesn't state "fuel delivery system" or anything generic, it specifies a carburetor. That could be interpreted to mean ONLY carb engines require BFA and fuel injected are exempt.

ysidive

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most important item and should be number ONE on your list is MONEY....... You do know that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand. All kidding aside the previous suggestions are important and each of us have individual priorities... Have fun and good luck with your new boat...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Great point. I find regulation does not always match with my perceived needs. For example $10 throwable device seems a total useless device. In a pinch I can throw a regular PFD and it will float more.
Same here...I prefer a proper donut throwable rather than the light weight thing they sell in those little $10 kits.
I agree the minimum flare count is short too in a real emergency. Good idea to carry more.
We carry more, and expired ones are still good as backups too, but can't be counted. We also have bright LED flashlights that can flash SOS. Although to be honest, I figure we'll only need those to assist others as we're far from the ocean and the Great Lakes are often too rough. Canadian rules are slightly different, 6 flares are required regardless of body of water and size, but if you have a VHF radio or cell phone, 3 flares are the minimum. I think I'd grab my phone before a flare to get help in most circumstances.
:D

jet_boater_paul

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I would also recommend one of those lithium ion battery jump kits ($100 for NOCO Boost one). Was out on the water once, towards end of the day, and the battery didn't have enough juice to start the engine. Hooked up my NOCO boost and it fired right up. Huge piece of mind having it onboard.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would also recommend one of those lithium ion battery jump kits ($100 for NOCO Boost one). Was out on the water once, towards end of the day, and the battery didn't have enough juice to start the engine. Hooked up my NOCO boost and it fired right up. Huge piece of mind having it onboard.
Two batteries is a better option, nothing worse than forgetting to keep your jump kit charged.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This boat does already have 2 batteries. I do not know if it has one of those switches on it or not, but I know it has a 2nd battery. I have read about people using those switches to separate batteries and also using those relays so the alternator charges both batteries. I have also read about some guys installing a dual battery charger, like the Noco. I do not know which way I should go just yet.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This boat does already have 2 batteries. I do not know if it has one of those switches on it or not, but I know it has a 2nd battery. I have read about people using those switches to separate batteries and also using those relays so the alternator charges both batteries. I have also read about some guys installing a dual battery charger, like the Noco. I do not know which way I should go just yet.
The easiest way to do it is with a dual bank charger, you don't want to charge 2 batteries with a single charger, it won't charge correctly.
So all you will need to do is add a dual bank charger and make sure your switch isn't set to both when charging.

ysidive

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Join Boat US.. Cheap insurance for towing on water and trailer towing can be added to your membership

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or, go for overkill like I do: BoatUS member, carry a jump pack, and have dual batteries.

Ok, it's not really overkill. The BoatUS will tow me if there is an issue (or bring me fuel); the jump pack is good for handing to a disabled boat to jump them (rather than trying to hand jumper cables over the water); the dual batteries take care of my boat.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Or, go for overkill like I do: BoatUS member, carry a jump pack, and have dual batteries.

Ok, it's not really overkill. The BoatUS will tow me if there is an issue (or bring me fuel); the jump pack is good for handing to a disabled boat to jump them (rather than trying to hand jumper cables over the water); the dual batteries take care of my boat.
I have question about BoatUS, who actually comes to tow you if you break down or need gas. I boat on a river and do they contract people in different areas of the country?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BoatUS has a contract with TowBoatUS, who has an outfit at my 'home' lake (and lots and lots of other boating spots). TowBoatUS comes to get you. Free (well, if you pay your membership fee, of course).

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you go with a dual battery system that can isolate your start battery, you don't really need a jumper pack. If you decide to keep it simple and just have 2 batteries in parallel, it will act like a single battery and you should get a jump pack just in case.

No matter what you choose, a good on-board battery charger is a great idea. It will keep your batteries topped up during the week while at work, and also keep them in good maintenance mode over the winter if needed.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The easiest way to do it is with a dual bank charger, you don't want to charge 2 batteries with a single charger, it won't charge correctly.
Actually that's depends on the configuration and batteries. If you have two of the same chemistry, and you combine both or have a DVSR that will connect both in parallel at 12v, a single bank will charge them both fully. The secret is the chemistry - if they're the same, then once combined they will equalize the current as the peak voltage will remain the same. This is basic electrical theory and it works fine - in fact it's how the start and house batteries are charged by the engines with a stock system.

Now if you have an SLA start battery, and an AGM deep cycle, the chemistry is different and it's much better to keep them separate and on a dual bank charger due to voltage differentials. I installed a dual bank because I plan to change my house battery to an AGM deep cycle down the road to power the amp I installed. If I was completely stock, a single bank 4-8 amp smart charger would work just as well.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@djtech2k when it comes to life jackets, you'll have to think long about possible riders on the boat and sizes - not just immediate family but that friend of a friend that doesn't fit the 2XL jacket or the opposite, the little kid that's smaller than any you know. I think in the end we've ended up with almost twice the life jackets than the boat has capacity for! No need to get too fancy with them IMO - and certainly no need to get them all at once. Grab what you need for now and get the rest at an end of season sale!
Same thing goes for ropes - get a mixture of lengths and remember that in a pinch they can do double duty (the 60-70' rope for the towable can also tow your boat, especially if you double it up, for example)
For the fenders, I just got a pair of these: Amazon.com : New World Marine, Inc. Fendergrip : Boat Fenders : Sports & Outdoors . Only used them a couple of times and so far they're a big success - especially for mounting fenders quickly, at weird heights, and where there's no cleat nearby (a handle works, bimini frame, etc.in a pinch.
And finally, let us know if the deal closes!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow, thanks again for all of the replies.

Based on what I have read/watched, it sounds like I need to make the boat has one of those battery switches where you can select either battery or both. Doesn't that isolate the batteries, unless of course you set it to both. In that config, I think the batteries are connected in parallel. Please correct me if I am incorrect. I have bookmarked the dual bank charger as well. What about that relay device that some people install that switches the battery charge from one to another automatically? It seems like it would be nice to have but a headache to troubleshoot.

On the subject of ropes, what length/size ropes do you guys use? I know there's different lengths/sizes for different use. Just trying to make my list of what I need to get immediately.

For life jackets, I see what you are saying. I am sure sizes will be a headache. I have seen some "kits" that have several items in it that includes life jackets. For example, I saw that Yamaha has a boating kit that is about $200, which I expected it to be a lot more from them. Are there any special requirements for life jackets or is it just 1 per person?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One per person minimum by law. Personally, I'm not a fan of kits... And the type of lifejackets you carry will also depend on what you're going to do. For example, "jacket" ones are best for watersports/towing but technically the old "keyhole" ones that you can buy for dirt meet the rules if all you're going to do is float. And then there's the belt ones that auto inflate when you hit the water - most comfortable but also most expensive, particularly because the cartridges need to be replaced regularly whether they're used on not (like flares). Also keep in mind that some areas have mandatory full-time jackets for kids under X years. YMMV...
Re: ropes, there's a thread here somewhere (God, we say that a lot!) but FWIW, I carry a couple of 25', 4 or 5 10', 150' of anchor line on one anchor and 50' on the other (yeah, two anchors - the POS that came with the boat and a box anchor which holds beautifully in silt), both of which are overkill for the shallow water we boat in BUT you may want to use to tow or to tie off to, say, a tree on shore or shore anchor, and a 60' tow rope for tubing. They all don't take up much space and are relatively cheap to have around.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so I finally closed the deal on the boat yesterday. Once I get the registration done, I intend to pick up the boat this week.

One thing that I noticed is that it has 2 batteries but it also has 2 of those switches. One switch has a label of port engine and the other starboard engine. The owner told me that he has always just put both switches on "All". I think it must have been setup by the previous owner to him.

Anyway, out of all the videos I have watched I have not seen a configuration with 2 of those switches. Is that common? Once I pickup the boat and find a storage location, I can look at the wiring closer and take some pics but I was just wondering how common having 2 switches is.

So I am starting to order the things that I know I will need, or at least I think I will need. I already ordered the Cobrajet cleanout port locks. I think I need to order fenders asap also. Any suggestions on which type or size? I see the ones that are like long blocks that look like they would be good, but it looks like many just use the long tube looking fenders. Any suggestions?

I also have ropes on my list. Do you guys buy those in marinas or do you order from places like amazon?

Life jackets are on my list but I need to figure out which ones to buy and where. I have a few that I use for kayaking that I can use immediately, l but I definitely need more.

I need to get some of the safety stuff too, like the airhorn, Oar, flares, etc. Again, I am looking online for convenience but not sure if its the best way to get that stuff. Unfortunately I do not live close to a lake so there are no marinas or boat stores close to me. They are over 2 hours away right now.

The stuff I have read on here about the danger of driving on one engine and the need to clamp off the waterline to the non-running engine makes me a little nervous. I really want to get something to clamp that waterline and also figure out which one is the right waterline to clamp. The video I watched on the FAQ was not clear to me which to clamp.

Last edited:

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length