• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying a Boat This Week...What Do I need?

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this is a generic question, but I am looking for some thoughts from you experienced boat people. I have a deal in place that should close this week on a 2012 Yamaha SX210. Its my first boat to own, so I am kind of stating from scratch. First, what things do I need for an everyday day on the water? Here is a list of things that I have on my "list" that I plan to get or am thinking about getting.

- Bumpers/Fenders for Docking
- Rope for Towing (Hope not to need it)
- Rope(s) for Docking
- Rope for Tubing/Skiing/etc
- Rope for Leading Boat (eg. around dock/trailer)
- Life Jackets
- Air Horn
- Water Toys

What else am I missing?

Now on a similar topic, I am trying to think of things that I want to add/upgrade/etc. This is an area that I am making based on suggestions from this forum or other sources. If I have missed anything or you have experience with this area, please let me know.

- CobraJet EZ Locks
- SeaDek
- Replace/Upgrade Audio: When I saw the boat, the HU appeared to be older/basic. It looked like a standard DIN size HU with flip weather cover on it. I am looking for opinions/options for upgrading this. I did not look at the speakers, but I assume they're basic speakers and I think there are 4 of them. I am not looking to go crazy, but want something that sounds good and will be fun.
- Bilge: I have heard some say adding a Bilge is just a personal choice.
- Cooler/Drink Storage: I have no idea what is used for cold drink storage on this boat. Does it have something built-in or do I need to bring on a cooler? If a cooler, any suggestions on what fits well on this boat?

My apologies if the 2nd half of this post is redundant but I wanted to get some thoughts on the "what you need to get on the water" stuff.

Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
update your profile with your location so we know where you're at and what type of boating you'll be doing, hanging at the sand bar or you've got kids to entertain (how old are they),

1. a safety items to meet your state requirements, from there you may want additional items but your boating will determine, on my lake I'm always less than 1/2 mile from a shore line so I'd have a lot different gear than if I was on a larger less populated lake or gulf,

2. I'd wait on most upgrades until you use the boat a month, then decide what you'd like to improve, about the only immediate thing I would suggest are the cobra locks only because you'll be sure the plugs are in and locked (and always remove the plugs when you're done for the day)

3. A second bilge is a personal choice but to me it's cheap insurance, along with a high water alarm, it's cheap insurance,

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
  1. Medical kit for cuts, scrapes, seasickness or small emergencies
  2. Anchor with line to hold your boat in place while you wait for help to arrive
  3. Bailing device or bucket to dewater and stay afloat
  4. Oars or paddles if the engine quits
  5. Cellphone to call for help
  6. VHF radio to call for help
  7. Knife to cut a line around a fouled propeller
  8. Snorkel mask to inspect what’s going on under the boat
  9. Heavy duty flashlight
  10. Skier or diver down flag
  11. Working running lights if your boat is equipped with them
  12. A way to get weather updates because things can change quickly even on a lake
The above is a generic list from the web. But it has a good list of items to carry.

I purchased the below fenders and they failed this weekend and caused the dock to damage my boat while I went to camp for lunch. I replaced them with the Polyform Bumpers linked - but have yet to use them. Although they come well recommended:
Failed: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S4HFUVA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Polyform: Amazon.com : Polyform G Series Boat Fenders : Sports & Outdoors

On a positive note, I noticed that the JetThruster/Lateral Thruster group buy is going on right now:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@djtech2k Additional things...

1) Fire Extinguisher
2) Grease Gun and grease - for trailer bearings
3) Depending on the type of water, VHF handheld, etc. If you are going Ocean or very large bodies of water.
4) Anchor - Never leave shore without one - prefer two one fore and one aft. Depending on the water depth at least 100' of good high visibility Anchor rope.
5) I keep a small bag of things in the boat so I can cut rope and or remove stuff from the impellors and/or pump.
6) Cooler, whatever you have should work.
7) FENDERS!

All the other stuff in the second part of your post, I would agree with @Scottintexas. Hold off till you use the boat a bit then you will know what you need and/or want.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As written above, each state has their own requirements such as a throw buoyancy device and flares. Don't mod until you learn the boat and don't forget to pay attention to the trailer.
Also, an extra quart of oil and something to clamp a water line for moving under power of a single motor.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

For the type of water, 99% of my use will be in a local river and a couple lakes within a couple hour radius. None of these bodies of water are big enough to get "lost" at sea, or at least not so far that you cannot see the shoreline in a few minutes. The boat does have an anchor in the anchor storage area.

So it sounds like there is no cooler built-in on the these boats. So if you bring a cooler onboard, where do you store it?

I do not understand the comment about clamping a water line. What is that about?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should never run just one engine and be underway while the other engine is off. The typical scenario is if an engine goes down. If you do this you have a good chance of filling the engine that is not running with water and it could damage your engine, ruin your oil, hydro lock your engine and you could cause severe damage to the engine if you crank or try to start it with water in it. There are a ton of posts on it here on the forums and I am sure a picture of the hose you would clamp off. If you clamp the water line, on the engine that is off you can safely use the good engine to get back to shore/dock.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@djtech2k you should browse through the FAQ tab at the top of the page for lot's of great tips and DIY ideas like the cooling water clamp,
also there is a video there from one of our members "how the cooling water flows", it's a great piece of knowledge that will help you understand you boat,

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just checked out the FAQ and I will definitely look at it more in-depth. Seems like a lot of good info there.

I watched the video about the cooling system. Well, that was informative, but I am not really sure where this hose that needs to be clamped might be. So I think I understand that you cannot drive the boat with just 1 engine unless you clamp this water line, correct? I saw on the video that he mentioned that it was near the "Y" but I do not know where that is and which hose would need to be clamped. I will search the forum more to see if I can find it. Also, what do you guys keep handy to clamp the hose in the event of an engine issue?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just checked out the FAQ and I will definitely look at it more in-depth. Seems like a lot of good info there.

I watched the video about the cooling system. Well, that was informative, but I am not really sure where this hose that needs to be clamped might be. So I think I understand that you cannot drive the boat with just 1 engine unless you clamp this water line, correct? I saw on the video that he mentioned that it was near the "Y" but I do not know where that is and which hose would need to be clamped. I will search the forum more to see if I can find it. Also, what do you guys keep handy to clamp the hose in the event of an engine issue?
You can drive on one motor without a clamp, but ONLY at no wake speeds, less than 4-5 mph. To add to your list, I keep a small tool kit, screw drivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, zip ties, duct tape. If not already installed the trailer guides (pvc pipes attached to back of trailer frame) are a huge help to keep the boat straight getting it on the trailer, especially as a newbie.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I have been reading on the forums and I am not sure which hose needs to be clamped. I see a few threads about clamping hose(s) when being towed. Is this the same situation as you guys described with only running 1 engine?

So here is a lit of things that I think I need/want to get just for a day on the water.

- CobraJet EZ Locks
- Tow Rope
- Ski/Tubing Rope
- Fenders
- Dock Tie Down Ropes
- Life Jackets
- Fire Ext
- Air Horn
- Flash Light
- Clamps
- Toolkit/Tools
- Oar
- Whistle
- Throw Cushion Floatation

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I believe US rules require you'll need 3 flares as well. Google Coast Guard requirements for all the details. Most boating stores have kits to fit your minimum needs.

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a good point. I noticed that even Yamaha has some starter boat kits that have all this stuff and things like the fenders and 4 life jackets. I saw it for like $200 which I really expected to be more for Yamaha. I will add the flares on my list anyway. Can't hurt.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know this is a generic question, but I am looking for some thoughts from you experienced boat people. I have a deal in place that should close this week on a 2012 Yamaha SX210. Its my first boat to own, so I am kind of stating from scratch. First, what things do I need for an everyday day on the water? Here is a list of things that I have on my "list" that I plan to get or am thinking about getting.

- Bumpers/Fenders for Docking
- Rope for Towing (Hope not to need it)
- Rope(s) for Docking
- Rope for Tubing/Skiing/etc
- Rope for Leading Boat (eg. around dock/trailer)
- Life Jackets
- Air Horn
- Water Toys

What else am I missing?

Now on a similar topic, I am trying to think of things that I want to add/upgrade/etc. This is an area that I am making based on suggestions from this forum or other sources. If I have missed anything or you have experience with this area, please let me know.

- CobraJet EZ Locks
- SeaDek
- Replace/Upgrade Audio: When I saw the boat, the HU appeared to be older/basic. It looked like a standard DIN size HU with flip weather cover on it. I am looking for opinions/options for upgrading this. I did not look at the speakers, but I assume they're basic speakers and I think there are 4 of them. I am not looking to go crazy, but want something that sounds good and will be fun.
- Bilge: I have heard some say adding a Bilge is just a personal choice.
- Cooler/Drink Storage: I have no idea what is used for cold drink storage on this boat. Does it have something built-in or do I need to bring on a cooler? If a cooler, any suggestions on what fits well on this boat?

My apologies if the 2nd half of this post is redundant but I wanted to get some thoughts on the "what you need to get on the water" stuff.

Thanks!
Cash

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I like to have an extra set of keys hidden somewhere on the boat- they come in handy, ask me how I know. John

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe US rules require you'll need 3 flares as well. Google Coast Guard requirements for all the details. Most boating stores have kits to fit your minimum needs.
I don't think you need flares on a river or small lake, I've been safety checked by a coast guard auxiliary and was not asked about flares. It was a nice older gentleman that did my check and he was a little confused that I didn't have a flame arrestor on my engines.

@djtech2k
I see you are from WV, where exactly are you located and where are you planning on boating?

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't think you need flares on a river or small lake
I believe that is correct, as long as it's less than 2 miles wide. However that only applies while in that area...if you venture outside the 2 mile limit, your requirements change. Canadian rules are a bit different, but have similar exemptions for some conditions. For my peace of mind, we carry everything onboard we need for rivers, bays, lakes, and open water. You never know when you might go on an adventure and forget to have the right items. I also prefer to carry more than the bare minimum on-board. Especially for $5 a year when you're on a $40-60k boat.
...little confused that I didn't have a flame arrestor on my engines
Wait, how did he know you did or did not have flame arrestors? Your engines are fuel injected, no?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... You never know when you might go on an adventure and forget to have the right items. I also prefer to carry more than the bare minimum on-board. Especially for $5 a year when you're on a $40-60k boat...
Great point. I find regulation does not always match with my perceived needs. For example $10 throwable device seems a total useless device. In a pinch I can throw a regular PFD and it will float more. I agree the minimum flare count is short too in a real emergency. Good idea to carry more. No requirement in my area to carry anchor and enough rode to use it effectively...

Anyway, It's 2 different goals. Safely pass the CG inspection, and have all the safety equipment you feel confident will help you sufficiently and to your comfort level when needed. spoiler alert...It's not the same list.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
[QUOTE="212s, post: 473437, member: 21731"

Wait, how did he know you did or did not have flame arrestors? Your engines are fuel injected, no?
[/QUOTE]

Yes fuel injected, when I said he was older I mean he was probably at least in his 80's and maybe he wasn't used to see fuel injection, lol.