• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Can I tow??

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would just opt for a diesel 1500 truck. Good fuel economy and plenty of towing power. Plus the longer wheelbase will provide much more stability.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It isn't the power it is the trucks suspension that is at question and half ton trucks just don't have it when you need it for something like a camper.

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It isn't the power it is the trucks suspension that is at question and half ton trucks just don't have it when you need it for something like a camper.
^^This. Most 1/2 ton diesel models have super low payload #s. Usually even less than gasser 1/2 tons because diesel blocks are heavier. Truck gave up payload to heavier engine. The Ram 1500 ecodiesel has stupid low payload capacity.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m really surprised there isn’t an easy calculator/database out there? Enter in your vehicle vin, enter in the make model of the trailer, and BOOM you get your answer. I know there are plenty of people out there that don’t do half the validation we do yet still tow. I feel like this is something the DOT should provide.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
All of this conversation is hearsay though. It all boils down to if you @Trevor Shipman feel like your vehicle can do it and if you fell safe about doing it. We could all talk until we are blue in the face and it will still come down to your decision. Good luck on your decision and maybe we will see each other at a camp ground one day.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I’m really surprised there isn’t an easy calculator/database out there? Enter in your vehicle vin, enter in the make model of the trailer, and BOOM you get your answer. I know there are plenty of people out there that don’t do half the validation we do yet still tow. I feel like this is something the DOT should provide.
They give every vehicle owner this info...even put it on a sticker for you.

If you’re real lucky they will wave you down and weigh your rig for you.

41C47FD0-5DDE-42F9-864A-E009D8D24BA4.jpeg

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They give every vehicle owner this info...even put it on a sticker for you.

If you’re real lucky they will wave you down and weigh your rig for you.

View attachment 100264
Ha! Yeah I looked mine up as well, while it gives you numbers it doesn’t definitively tell you one way other another what you can tow. I know there are many factors but still.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All of this conversation is hearsay though. It all boils down to if you @Trevor Shipman feel like your vehicle can do it and if you fell safe about doing it. We could all talk until we are blue in the face and it will still come down to your decision. Good luck on your decision and maybe we will see each other at a camp ground one day.
Yeah I feel like that’s what most of America does. I feel like I can tow it as I’ve towed our old camper which weighs 6200lbs unloaded and it towed perfect (it was a shorter camper though).

I want to be responsible though... Ask me what I’ll do after a few drinks! Lol

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you look at my signature you will see I tow a 45ft Cyclone toy hauler with an F350 Superduty dually. The trailer's total weight is around 20k lbs. When we first ordered the fifth wheel I was considering towing it with a F250 with new leaf springs to support the weight. After all the engine is the same as the F350 right!? I kept reading and researching and I just couldn't get past this whole stopping thing and cross winds on something that big. I bought my dually 2 days before we went to get the fifth wheel. I will tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. I can stop my fifth wheel! The bigger thing for me was how does it handle the cross winds with something that large. We tow down I70 in Kansas quite a bit and I tell you what I have been in some crazy winds and not felt like it was white knuckle with the dually. BTW I am not implying you need that big of a tow vehicle just kinda speaking from experience to go bigger than you think on your tow vehicle. ;)

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you look at my signature you will see I tow a 45ft Cyclone toy hauler with an F350 Superduty dually. The trailer's total weight is around 20k lbs. When we first ordered the fifth wheel I was considering towing it with a F250 with new leaf springs to support the weight. After all the engine is the same as the F350 right!? I kept reading and researching and I just couldn't get past this whole stopping thing and cross winds on something that big. I bought my dually 2 days before we went to get the fifth wheel. I will tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. I can stop my fifth wheel! The bigger thing for me was how does it handle the cross winds with something that large. We tow down I70 in Kansas quite a bit and I tell you what I have been in some crazy winds and not felt like it was white knuckle with the dually. BTW I am not implying you need that big of a tow vehicle just kinda speaking from experience to go bigger than you think on your tow vehicle. ;)
No, you’re 100% right... There’s just no substitute for having the right tool for the job.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah I feel like that’s what most of America does. I feel like I can tow it as I’ve towed our old camper which weighs 6200lbs unloaded and it towed perfect (it was a shorter camper though).

I want to be responsible though... Ask me what I’ll do after a few drinks! Lol
So when do you pick it up.......:p:p:p

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Darn it. This thread diverted me into looking at 5th wheels about 3 years too early. Plan is to full-time RV around the county for a year not long after our youngest graduates HS. Then another year in place once we buy land and build on it. Loving those 40ft+ long toy haulers where the garage could be a good sized office with a great view and patio.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There seems to be 1,000,000 opinions on what you can tow, what to calculate to determine if you can tow, what day of the week it is, etc. Wanted to reach out on here and get a consensus (if possible).

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4 with the 3.6L V6 8 speed transmission with the factory tow package (Class IV). I’ve added rear airbags in the coils to level while towing. I’ve also purchased a transmission cooler but haven’t installed yet. Per the owners manual it has a 6,200 GTW and 620 max tongue weight.

I tow my 2006 AR210 and it pulls great! No exceeding temps (engine/transmission).

I’m looking to purchase a camper with the following stats:

Unloaded Vehicle Weight: 5625
Dry Hitch Weight: 565
GVWR: 7350
Length: 29’2”
Wheel base: 229”

Obviously I would get/need a high end weight distribution hitch and I would have to be conscious of how much added weight I put in the camper while traveling.

My question is, am I ok? I know I’m def on the high end of what I can tow, but my question is am I exceeding what I can tow?
With the factory tow it should come with helper air springs. At least my wife's 18 does. Honestly the camper is going to be tough imho. I feel we are maxed out with our 210.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Darn it. This thread diverted me into looking at 5th wheels about 3 years too early. Plan is to full-time RV around the county for a year not long after our youngest graduates HS. Then another year in place once we buy land and build on it. Loving those 40ft+ long toy haulers where the garage could be a good sized office with a great view and patio.
Oh I waste at least an hour a day looking at these damn things! So many cool setups out there!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I waste at least an hour a day looking at these damn things! So many cool setups out there!
We had a new guest on the boat this weekend. She was the mom of one of my 8yr olds friends. She was very curious about the boat, the process, and our boating habits. No big deal, I like talking about the boat so it worked out. One of her questions was "Do you already have the next boat picked out?".....My response was...."You have no idea how many hours I spend browsing and looking for the next boat. It changes weekly, and if I get the green light to buy one from the 'finance committee', I already know where to go to get it tomorrow."

I would almost consider "browsing for the next boat" a hobby as much as anything else I do.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We had a new guest on the boat this weekend. She was the mom of one of my 8yr olds friends. She was very curious about the boat, the process, and our boating habits. No big deal, I like talking about the boat so it worked out. One of her questions was "Do you already have the next boat picked out?".....My response was...."You have no idea how many hours I spend browsing and looking for the next boat. It changes weekly, and if I get the green light to buy one from the 'finance committee', I already know where to go to get it tomorrow."

I would almost consider "browsing for the next boat" a hobby as much as anything else I do.
Hahha yep! You nailed it! That’s me to a T.