• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Canvas man messed up, need your advice please.

Please read below and tell me what you would do.

• Keep the full cover and have the bow cover as an extra piece.

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • Get a bow and cockpit cover as I originally requested.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up our boat from the canvas man. When I dropped it off last week we talked in detail about a two piece cover, bow and cockpit.

He called me yesterday to say he misplaced the notes he took while he was talking to me, and wanted to know what color and which fabric we talked about. I told him gray tweed Sunbrella and that was the end of our conversation.

I went to pick up the boat today and it is a one piece cover. I told him that wasn't right, he said I have two options. He can modify the cover and make two pieces, or I can keep the full cover and at no charge he will make a bow cover.

What would you do? Have him fabricate two pieces like you originally requested, or keep the full cover and have the bow cover as extra? The only reasons that I wanted a bow cover were for the Bimini Crossing and cruising on cold spring and fall days.

20180825_124027.jpg

Last edited:

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
What about a third option of having him try to save the cover you have by cutting off the front and adding some snaps around the base of the windshield. Then have him make the bow cover. Boom. win, win. Or maybe I am oversimplifying it...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why can’t he modify the one piece cover into the originally desired two piece?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up our boat from the canvas man. When I dropped it off last week we talked in detail about a two piece cover, bow and cockpit.

He called me yesterday to say he misplaced the notes he took while he was talking to me, and wanted to know what color and which fabric we talked about. I told him gray tweed Sunbrella and that was the end of our conversation.

I went to pick up the boat today and it is a one piece cover. I told him that wasn't right, he said I have two options. He can start over and make two pieces, or I can keep the full cover and at no charge he will make a bow cover.

What would you do? Make him start over and get two pieces like you originally requested, or keep the full cover and have the bow cover as extra? The only reasons that I wanted a bow cover were for the Bimini Crossing and cruising on cold spring and fall days.

View attachment 82178
If the one piece cover fits well, I would absolutely keep it and get a free bow cover!
I would strongly recommend Hangtyte system - likely you would never go back!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/hangtyte-support-system-install-2016-ar240-getting-rid-of-the-poles.16622/

--

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about a third option of having him try to save the cover you have by cutting off the front and adding some snaps around the base of the windshield. Then have him make the bow cover. Boom. win, win. Or maybe I am oversimplifying it...
Why can’t he modify the one piece cover into the originally desired two piece?
I should have clarified in my post. I'll edit it now.

If I ask for 2 pieces, I'm sure he will use this existing cover for the cockpit cover, but he wasn't sure if he would have enough left over to make the bow cover too, looking at the picture, I kind of think that he would. I'm just not sure if I am better off with one big piece and a bow cover, or if I would be better off with 2 smaller, more manageable pieces.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He could certainly make your cockpit cover with that. Might need to add a piece to what is left over to get a bow cover out of that. Better for him to make a new bow cover than have a seam. The way they overlap at the center window makes this necessary.
20170602_155151.jpg

Cockpit cover on right covering windshield. Bow cover to left overlaps under windshield connecting to snaps on bottom of center window inside. Top edge of bow cover has a gasket to divert rain water coming off the windshield area.
20170919_163957_001.jpg

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the one piece cover fits well, I would absolutely keep it and get a free bow cover!

Totally agree. I often run with just the bow cover on. Having both will give you the best of both worlds.[flag]

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He could certainly make your cockpit cover with that. Might need to add a piece to what is left over to get a bow cover out of that. Better for him to make a new bow cover than have a seam. The way they overlap at the center window makes this necessary.

Cockpit cover on right covering windshield. Bow cover to left overlaps under windshield connecting to snaps on bottom of center window inside. Top edge of bow cover has a gasket to divert rain water coming off the windshield area.
Thank you for that, he was trying to explain to me why he wouldn't be able to just cut the 1 piece in 2, but I couldn't really understand what he meant. So basically, he will need to make a bow cover no matter what. It would be cheaper and easier for him to just make a bow cover as opposed to cutting the 1 piece down to size, adding snaps along the windshield AND then still making a bow cover.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to vote to get what you originally asked for. But as a onesie you will have less water getting under the bow cover, from the windshield, if he does not install gaskets on the bow cover. Ask him if he installs a gasket on the bow cover, if not, keep it a onesie.
20170131_190800.jpg
This is the gasket

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Eh, I agree, if the full cover fits well, I’d take the free bow cover, smile, and shake his hand for making it right!

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
So far 8 votes to keep the one piece and get a free bow cover including mine. I would rather have a one piece cover that I used the majority of the time personally.

Can I ask how much this ran you? I wonder if he would make another one for a boat without a tower and ship it. The price I got around here for a custom Sunbrella cover was absolutely ridiculous. I am not a fan of the chintzy $600 Yamaha cover I just bought either.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So far 8 votes to keep the one piece and get a free bow cover including mine. I would rather have a one piece cover that I used the majority of the time personally.

Can I ask how much this ran you? I wonder if he would make another one for a boat without a tower and ship it. The price I got around here for a custom Sunbrella cover was absolutely ridiculous. I am not a fan of the chintzy $600 Yamaha cover I just bought either.
All in it was $1,072.84 which included putting snaps on the boat along with poles and vents. Our last Yamaha cover lasted 3 years and 2 months before disintegrating, with at least 8 months of that in inside storage. It cost me $725.50. Just from feeling the material on the boat today, I can tell you that the Sunbrella is a million times more sturdy and well constructed than the Yamaha cover and it has a 10 year warranty.

canvas cover reciept.jpg

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll keep the full cover and get a bow cover from him. We used the boat today, and the cover was incredibly easy to take off and put on, especially compared to the Yamaha covers we have had in the past.