• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Canyon Lake. Near New Braunfels, TX

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I finally got my boat to TX last week after moving here from FL almost 2 months ago.

We went out to Canyon Lake on Saturday and took our friends with us. I really enjoyed it, this was the first time I've used my boat in fresh water, it was so nice not thinking about the salt all the time and not feeling crusty after getting out of the water and all that...not to mention the ease of clean-up afterwards!

Thanks to @JetPowered for the detailed map of the lake and showing me where everything is, it came in very handy when my friends said he would meet me at launch number one, I already knew where it was, and where party cove and the cliffs were. My friend said "you sure you haven't been here before?"

We went to party cove, I usually avoid these areas because I have small kids and I know some places can get rowdy, but it wasn't too busy and we wanted to jump from the cliffs. So I found a spot and anchored, we wound up staying there for a long time swimming and hanging out.

I didn't take a bunch of photos like I should have but I'll share the ones I did take. I was impressed how clear the water is here.

This was also the first time I have ever launched and retrieved without a dock beside the ramp, everything went well but makes me wish my wife would learn to drive the truck with trailer and could back it up.

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Glad to help out and glad that it made for a favorable first trip. Hopefully, we can join you next time!

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad y'all finally made it out onto a Texas lake. I've never been on that lake, but I'm assuming that it's rock bottomed since you mentioned how clear it was. We were out on a new lake to us, Richland Chambers, that was very murky. I could barely see the yellow saddle float that I was floating on. The good news was the water didn't leave spots on the black hull. That made wiping it down a breeze before hitting the road for home.

I wanted to again welcome y'all to Texas and hope to meet y'all someday on one of your area lakes or one of ours in North Texas.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @PEARCE

Very rocky, first time I pulled my anchor up (box anchor) it was full of big rocks, unusual for me since I'm used to just having a little sand on it.

I enjoyed not having salt stuck to the entire side of the boat and feeling rushed to get everything washed down and the trailer washed off as quick as possible.

Salt water has some perks but I had more fun on this trip than I did on a lot of outings in FL.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recognize that lake! My dad used to take the limited there routinely until he sold it to @JetPowered Definitely a fun lake. Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to Texas!

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If possible, can you pass along the lake into you have (map, etc) since that lake is on my short list of destinations? KrisDKelso@yahoo.com

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll just put it here, Jetpowered hooked me up with the info, this is copied from our conversation....

Here it is in a nutshell: Canyon is a great lake. It's big, not too busy (with exceptions on the weekends) and there are lots of coves to pull out into. It's very deep by the dam and in areas where the river canyons are, about 90-130 feet deep. Wind usually comes out of the south or southeast, so sheltered ramps are a good idea. Tall canyon walls also mean calmer water for water sports happen along the south side. Wind is not bad at all this time of year. Watch for trees (snags) in the upper lake area and along shorelines. There are a couple of areas near the Ft. Sam area that get shallow near the pavilions. Watch the contours and you'll be fine. Shallows will be a bigger issue as the water levels go down but the lake is only one foot below full right now.

Cranes Mill marina is usually less crowded if you need to fuel or get an ice cream, use restroom etc. I think there are marina's in the Ft. Sam area but not being military, I haven't ventured in to check. If you camp, it looks like they have a nice campground.

Party cove should be easy to find on a weekend. Not really my scene with kids. There are some good places to anchor near there to do some shelling or walk around. Bottom is VERY rocky in many areas on the south side so anchoring can be a challenge, even with a box anchor. I haven't yet found a place to beach and probably don't want to with all the rocks.

Many of the ramps have no dock, making launching challenging. There are docks at ramps 1 and 2, but I would expect both might be busy on the weekend with limited parking at 1, more available at 2. There is an assisted launch where someone will launch and retrieve with your car at ramp 9, Crane's Mill Marina. Would be a good option if family launches are challenging or you are going to solo. Otherwise most ramps are free unless it is Corps park or a Comal County park.

Kelso

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks!!!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Definitely different than the Florida Panhandle, but sure does look fun!