• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Catastrophic Failure... (pic heavy)

@jdonalds what aftermarket cover are you using? Just curious....I like your idea!

I'm currently using this DryGuard cover http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SL89GA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

It is so air and water tight that I installed two passive vents, then purchased two poles to hold the vents up so it is a quicker/easier anti-pooling setup for our mostly dry summers here in CA. I'll use the OEM anti-pooling setup in the rainy winter months. This is what I would recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Vent-Cap-Adju...sim_sg_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NMFSKADNKJCBM3WYWK7

The Yamaha boats have a lot of boat above the bond line. I had to buy the 24' cover for my 21' boat. I still have a short section, about 3-4', where the cover doesn't reach the bond line. I keep that to the shady side where I store my boat. The cover's length isn't a problem, width is the problem.

Last edited:
Hmmm, ok. Thank you for sharing. I am going to consider doing this.

There was some discussion a while back about using a cheap, extra-large tarp layed over the factory cover to be the sacrificial cover cover while storing outside. Since sun does the most damage, the idea is to let the sun beat down on the cheap tarp rather than eat away at the factory cover.

Seems like good logic to me. Not sure it has been proven or even tested. But I got a new cover this summer, so I will probably try the cheap-o-tarp-cover-cover and see if my new factory cover survives the elements better.

That's nothing compared to when my cover shreaded itself! I was coming home from Lake Powell and hit a monsoon micro burst head on. The cover shreaded and wrapped itself around anything and everything in the back of my boat. I pulled over as soon as I could but it was too late. I was concerned about the ratchet buckle whipping/flopping around the back of the boat. I spent about 15 minutes with my pocket knife cutting off and untangling the cover shreads. There were so many small fibers everywhere I was glad to tow it uncovered awhile to clean it out.

I removed the front cushion and taped the rear two down and proceeded down the road. It started raining heavily and I look back and the carpet is flopping in the wind! I had to stop again in a heavy downpour and pull the main cockpit carpet out.
It was the most eventful trip home yet from the lake. The cover was pretty much toast before that trip but I didn't expect it to explode the way that it did. I will say that with the micro burst and our speed it was seeing ~100-120mph winds. Thankfully I had already ordered a replacement and was able to install it when I got home (cause it was still raining heavily).

I use a sacrificial tarp for winter storage. The tarp has lasted two seasons thus far.

Cheers,
Toby

There was some discussion a while back about using a cheap, extra-large tarp layed over the factory cover to be the sacrificial cover cover while storing outside. Since sun does the most damage, the idea is to let the sun beat down on the cheap tarp rather than eat away at the factory cover.

Seems like good logic to me. Not sure it has been proven or even tested. But I got a new cover this summer, so I will probably try the cheap-o-tarp-cover-cover and see if my new factory cover survives the elements better.
I did that for about a year. I found that putting the large plastic tarp over the Yamaha cover was a total pain in the butt. I was using the cheap blue or tan plastic tarps. Perhaps a heavier cloth cover would work better.

I am a fan of using the shipping cover during long term storage especially if he boat is stored outside since the shipping cover is much more water resistant. At about apt the cost it is not cheap but it is a lot cheaper than the canvas mooring cover and it fits perfectly. I've tried usin a generic cover as well for storage but even when I bought a 23' cover it didn't cover the last few inches of the swim deck as jdonalds mentioned.

Anyone wanting to replace the OEM cover, ebay has a great deal on them. I bought mine for $548 with free shipping. Check out seller leaders_rpm

I don't think they had all model years but quite few of them. Mine because of the tower was a little more than the SX.

I thought that was the best price. Fast shipping too.

6th summer with our cover and aside from some small holes around the stern it looks brand new. We don't trailer (drystack) but even more importantly when in drystack it's completely out of the sun, so over the life of the cover its probably only seen a maybe a week total of sun on it. It think the sun more than anything that takes its toll on these covers. We too use the shipping cover for long-term winter storage.

Second season and will be lucky to make it a third. Florida sun is killing it. I did store at the house under trees until the HIS laywer sent me a letter. I could maybe understand but I live on an acre of land and the boat sat on the back corner of the house. You could only see about two feet of the cover. I also noticed storing under the trees I was having issues with leaves in the boat staining. Have no idea how leaves got under the cover. Its like the mystery of the one sock disappearing.

I'm sure trailering with the poles in contributed but you did get a decent life out of it.

These covers suck, plain and simple. I say this as I just received my new replacement Yamaha cover. What I did do is buy a semi-custom cover as well that is made of a much better fabric to use when the boat is just sitting at my dead-end, and when I have to trailer the boat any distance, then I'll use the Yamaha cover, as it's best feature is fit and trailer-ability, in my opinion. This should make it last a loooooong time!

I'm currently using this DryGuard cover http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SL89GA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

It is so air tight that I installed two passive vents, then purchased two poles to hold the vents up so it is a quicker/easier anti-pooling setup for our mostly dry summers here in CA. I'll use the OEM anti-pooling setup in the rainy winter months. This is what I would recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Vent-Cap-Adju...sim_sg_15?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NMFSKADNKJCBM3WYWK7

The Yamaha boats have a lot of boat above the bond line. I had to buy the 24' cover for my 21' boat. I still have a short section, about 3-4', where the cover doesn't reach the bond line. I keep that to the shady side where I store my boat. The cover's length isn't a problem, width is the problem.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of that cover on the boat would you? My one year old OEM cover is already on its last leg since I am forced to store outdoors and when I purchase a new OEM for trailering I might consider a "cheapy" for storage. I'd have to modify it for my AR, but sewing doesn't frighten me too much. :-)

I have a cover that the previous owner said he got at West Marine for about $150. It actually works reasonably well and is pretty waterproof. It is a major pain in the ass to put on the boat though because it has to be secured to the trailer. I bought a used shipping cover which is better in most ways but I am planning on using the aftermarket cover over top of the shipping cover to preserve it in the off season. The anti pooling poles are certainly required for the aftermarket. I don't have any pictures unfortunately but it fits reasonably well, just a little shorter than the rub rails on the sides. Front to back it fits fine.

Last edited:
So we were returning from the lake today...three hours drive each way. What an eventful day.

Mind you this was our first time out in 12 months since we had huge problems getting the title from the original owner....and couldn't get a current registration until about a month ago. So our normal routine is to have my wife and kids back the boat off, I take the truck and trailer to park it and then my wife swings by to get me at the dock. Today she was having major problems getting the boat to move...I took over and soon realized the problem....I failed to insert the cleanout plugs, whoops!

After that we had a great day on the lake and toward the end of the afternoon of swimming this crazy bluegill thought my right index finger would be a good snack and made four attempts to chow down on my finger within about twenty minutes. That signaled it was time to leave. Upon getting to my trailer I realized someone had stolen my trailer's master cylinder cover cap...it was there when I parked the boat (I made a mental note of it being there when I did a quick inspection of my bunks after launching).

Finally, and the reason for posting in this thread, my one year old cover blew out around the upper window. Arghh! You'd really think that these covers would be more resistant to UV and last more than 13 months. Anyway...I now have to look for a replacement and I'm seriously now considering a custom job.

But...it was a great day of boating! :)

Edit: I also forgot to mention that my wife managed to get about a dozen freshwater leeches attached to her feet at one beach where the kids went swimming...how could I forget that!?

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg

OK, I can sleep again knowing she is resting comfortably under a proper, fitted cover again.:thumbsup:

Incidentally, this cover appears to be made of heavier fabric than the first one. I thought it was just wear, sun, or an illusion until I compared the new and old stuff sacks that came with the covers. Neither has ever seen the sun nor been exposed to wind nor weather of any kind. The new one is definitely heavier.

I guess I have no excuse to thumb my nose at the HOA any longer and should take her back to storage... (sigh)

Looks good. I like the location of the ratchets on that cover, as opposed to having them in the middle. They're more accessible when docked.

You wouldn't happen to have any pics of that cover on the boat would you? My one year old OEM cover is already on its last leg since I am forced to store outdoors and when I purchase a new OEM for trailering I might consider a "cheapy" for storage. I'd have to modify it for my AR, but sewing doesn't frighten me too much. :)
Sorry I didn't notice this post. I'll try to remember to take some photos tomorrow and post them.

View attachment 10100 View attachment 10099

OK, I can sleep again knowing she is resting comfortably under a proper, fitted cover again.:thumbsup:

Incidentally, this cover appears to be made of heavier fabric than the first one. I thought it was just wear, sun, or an illusion until I compared the new and old stuff sacks that came with the covers. Neither has ever seen the sun nor been exposed to wind nor weather of any kind. The new one is definitely heavier.

I guess I have no excuse to thumb my nose at the HOA any longer and should take her back to storage... (sigh)

Interesting news about the heavier fabric. My new OEM cover arrives on Friday...I hope it holds up better than the last one as well!

A heavier material for these covers can never be a bad thing.

Back