• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cavitation issues

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Had my 195s since Oct. No issues. Ran great and little to no cavitation. In the past month I have noticed quite a bit of cavitation putting riders or right out of the gate. Took it all apart and looked at the impeller and looks good. Can’t find a reason why I have so much more cavitation lately. Thoughts? It’s becoming annoying pulling the boys and trying to wakesurf etc.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@Wright2e How does the sealant look in the intake pump tunnel?

that can be a cause of cavitation

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Didn’t think to look at that. From what I recall I didn’t see a lot of sealant period in there. Everything looked smooth but not much sealant. Is there a post or video on where all to add sealant under there? Thx in advance.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Didn’t think to look at that. From what I recall I didn’t see a lot of sealant period in there. Everything looked smooth but not much sealant. Is there a post or video on where all to add sealant under there? Thx in advance.
@Wright2e i have been looking for something similar myself. I just put it on every connection point of the components. I didn’t put any on the intake grate but inside the tunnel I did. My boat already had some silicone applied in some places, I just put some 4200 over the areas that looked like it was missing or failing. It probably isn’t going to hold, but when I had the boat out yesterday it did seem to hook up better.

I am looking into a lucky 13 cone or wet wolf adjust a thrust to totally get rid of the cavitation if possible.

hope that helps?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Try using the search tool to find pics for sealing. I just typed in “cavitation sealant” and found some good discussions.

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
That could be it. Will check it out. I did go to the ocean about a month ago and ate a decent amount of sand when I beached it accidentally. Checked all the areas and no damage etc. but could have gotten rid of a lot of the silicone when that happened. Thx everyone!

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That could be it. Will check it out. I did go to the ocean about a month ago and ate a decent amount of sand when I beached it accidentally. Checked all the areas and no damage etc. but could have gotten rid of a lot of the silicone when that happened. Thx everyone!
Attached is an example of the silicone deterioration on my boat. I am the 2nd owner and this is how it looked. I took it all out and re-siliconed around the intake grates where it meets the fiberglass. I havent had a chance to go out on the water since I did it, but it has to be an improvement. I also replaced the broken grate since that had to be causing some sort of turbulence.

Attachments

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Attached is an example of the silicone deterioration on my boat. I am the 2nd owner and this is how it looked. I took it all out and re-siliconed around the intake grates where it meets the fiberglass. I havent had a chance to go out on the water since I did it, but it has to be an improvement. I also replaced the broken grate since that had to be causing some sort of turbulence.
Is the grate removable by just using some Allen wrenches? Definitely seems like worth the effort to take a look at that. My guess is the sand I sucked in blasted out a lot of that silicone.

RXBoost

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is the grate removable by just using some Allen wrenches? Definitely seems like worth the effort to take a look at that. My guess is the sand I sucked in blasted out a lot of that silicone.
Yeah, just allen screws. They're a pretty large allen though.

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As temperatures and humidity increase, the performance of your engine will drop as well. Not sure if this would cause an increase in cavitation - I am currently looking into the effects of Density Altitude and trying to determine how it actually impacts performance. Either way, I just installed the Lucky 13 cone and it was not a magic bullet to eliminate cavitation, but I think it helped. I'm still learning about these boats, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt. Good luck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As temperatures and humidity increase, the performance of your engine will drop as well. Not sure if this would cause an increase in cavitation - I am currently looking into the effects of Density Altitude and trying to determine how it actually impacts performance. Either way, I just installed the Lucky 13 cone and it was not a magic bullet to eliminate cavitation, but I think it helped. I'm still learning about these boats, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt. Good luck.
Sealing the intake tunnel helped my 2017 AR190 almost as much as the L13 Cone. It's cheap and easy too.

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length