• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing out the Polk Head Unit on 2017 242 LS-E

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I read a few days ago on here that Connext on the 2017 models will not accept any other head unit other than the Polk PA4A, but can't find the thread. Is this true? I am taking my boat in this winter for more audio upgrades and one of the options is to change the head unit to another brand. I obviously won't pull that trigger, but need to verify if what I read is correct.

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Nevermind. I just found the thread. Looks like I can't go with another brand head unit. I can upgrade to the Polk UM2, but not really sure the benefit.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Why do you feel like something else would work better ? For my system I hooked two eqs one to the front and one to the rear rca channels of the Polk giving 4 zones + two independent subwoofer zones the ability to tune and set cross over points is amazing . The sound is super clear and very loud and so many different ways to tune it for different sound requirements. The 4 amplifiers 2 sound bars 4 tower speakers 8 cabin speakers and 3 10inch subwoofers can pound or be dialed down for a nice mellow sound . All tied into the polk pa4a with 2 added remote controls and still works from the touch screen or the joystick .

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
As setup now, I get bad distortion at high volume. Some one suggested it may be the head unit. Lower quality units can be known as the cause no matter the quality of the amps, cables, and speakers.

Just a question. This wasn't from an expert. I just bought this boat and the audio was upgraded, but I already found a busted speaker and distortion issues. It's going to a professional installer this winter and wanted to have this question answered in case they suggested changing the head unit.

DmaxMike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you by chance upgrade to the um2? I’m looking to upgrade to the um2 and was hoping to verify I will keep the connect interface for controls with the newer Polk model. Thanks for any help