• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chaparral Vortex 223: "Now Available" per Chap website

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if you look at the little price tag symbol on their Vortex pages (superimposed over the picture headers), it boasts about their "No hassle, real deal pricing." I think they must be treating them like the H20s.
That is not good news. I was hoping that the MSRP would be higher but maybe after discount they would be similar.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like the vortexes, coming in second in my order of preference:
  • scarab
  • chap
  • yamaha
I like everything about the Chap except no cleanout plug and the price. My ranking would be to flip the list and go Yamaha, Chap, Scarab. Selling point on Yamaha would be cleanout ports and knowledge base of this forum to make ownership easier and less expensive (dealer service not required), Chaparral based on styling and quality and Scarab has a real sporty look. I like them all and to be honest I think they are more alike than different. Right now, I think the 2015 Yamaha 24' models are the best of the bunch if they are anywhere close to the hype.

TxChristopher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How do you "Dyno Test" a boat?

Have you ever dealt with C.A.R.B.? I have been dealing with them for over...well, hell, over 25 years.

They are ALL about emissions, not horsepower. They could give a rat's ass about how fast a boat goes, they just don't want it spewing emissions.

They get most of their data directly from the manufacturer. When they are contemplating new restrictions or imposing stricter regulations they will do engine testing. Usually in conjunction with a major manufacturer (s) who donates an engine and parts such as catalytic converters, etc. They do it in a lab, on an engine stand and the engine is hooked up to a water supply. They have to simulate load factors, etc. since there is no prop to create load on the engine. The lab really doesn't simulate real life conditions since the engines need to be run rich to keep cylinder temps down. The production engines run much leaner and they have to calculate all the variables when they approve emissions packages on these engines. They use ISO Standards, NOT SAE, ISO 8178-4 E4* to be exact.

@Williamsone46 was just hi-lighting the games that manufacturers play in their advertising and spec numbers. It's all smoke and mirrors. You want to know how fast a boat goes? Get in it and run it hard. :cool:
Yeah you are passing a lot of bad info. Sorry but that is fact.

Its kind of simple actually, they dyno test the ENGINES that are going to be used in the car/truck/motorcycle/atv/SxS/boat/etc etc etc

The load placed on an engine has no bearing on the power output of the engine. It does not matter that there is no prop the engine puts out what it puts out, end of story. The entire point of a dynamometer is to put a load on an engine and measure it's power output. In this case they are also monitoring it's emissions as well.

The engine has to be tested every year to be certified for use in the vehicle, not "when they are contemplating or imposing stricter regulations" like you are claiming. Certs are only good for specific models and model years tested. They are required to be tested or they cannot be sold in California. If you really think the program counts on manufacturers donating parts then you simply have no clue about the process even though you are acting like you do. The manufacturers have to PROVIDE what they intend to sell, or they will not be allowed to sell it.

The engines are not run rich, they are run as they will be in the vehicle. The production engines cannot be "leaner" in fact it specifically states in the certs that the production engines have to be the same. The manufacturer has to submit a lot of info on how the engine will operate in the vehicle. If any engine if found later to be different than the test engine in operation or emissions the manufacturer can be fined quite heavily, and ARB does do its own random testing to verify that companies are complying.

The ISO standard you listed is for an emissions test, which California actually sets their own standard, but anyway we were talking about power in this thread, which is an SAE standard when the engine is dynamometer tested which is what ARB does with the submitted sample engine.

Here is the wording under California CCR's, you can argue with them about how they calculate power if you wish:

(B) For 2009 and subsequent model year engines, each boat manufacturer must install an enhanced evaporative control system on every boat that is manufactured for sale, sold, or offered for sale in California that uses a high performance engine.
(3) Compliance with the standards on a corporate averaging basis is calculated as follows:

where:
n = Total number of engine families available for averaging
PRODjx = Number of engines in engine family j produced for sale in California in model year x.
ELjx = The measured HC+NOx emission levels for engine family j in model year x.
Pjx = The average power in kW (sales-weighted) of engine family j produced for sale in California in model year x. Engine power must be calculated using SAE standard J1228, November 1991, incorporated herein by reference.

(1) Jet Boat Engines
(A) Jet boat engine families previously certified to the HC+NOx standards for outboard engines and personal watercraft in § 2442(a) may continue to be certified to those standards until 2012 with the additional requirement for 2010 and subsequent model years to comply with the applicable carbon monoxide standards for OB/PWC engines in Table 1.2.
(B) Beginning in 2010, all new jet boat engine families shall comply with the standards for sterndrive/inboard engines in § 2442(b) upon introduction, except that these new jet boat engine families may be cross category averaged with any other jet boat or personal watercraft engine family to comply with those standards until 2012.
1. Notwithstanding subparagraph 2. below, an engine family certified to the § 2442(a) standards prior to 2010, but not previously used in a jet boat application would be considered a new jet boat engine family in 2010.
2. Replacements for discontinued jet boat engine families. In 2010 and 2011, if a jet boat engine certified to the § 2442(a) standards prior to 2010 is discontinued, the manufacturer may introduce a replacement engine family that complies with the § 2442(a) standards, provided that the replacement engine family is certified to an FEL at or below the certified emissions level of the family it replaces.
(C) Jet boat engines previously certified in the same engine family with personal watercraft engines must be certified separately and to a unique engine family beginning in 2012. All other jet boat engines, including replacements for discontinued jet boat engine families, must be certified separately and to a unique engine family beginning in 2010.
(D) The OBD-M requirements in § 2444.2 would apply to new jet boat engine families in 2010 and to all jet boat engine families in 2012.

Here is the cert for the 2015 Yamaha's:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2015/sime/u-w-003-0284.pdf

Here is the cert for 2015 BRP engines to be sold for use in JET BOATS:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2015/sime/u-w-008-0226.pdf

Last edited:

TxChristopher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is the actual rule for rated engine output, so we will all forever know!

5. Manufacturing Tolerance— The declared (rated) power at declared
(rat^d) engine speed of any individual marine propulsion engine or pro-
pulsion system shall not deviate from its measured value by more than:

a. ±5% for engines or propulsion systems with speed governors of.
more than 100 kW declared power, or

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@TxChristopher thanks for the definitive answer on the tolerance, can you tell us/give us a link to where you found that at?

TxChristopher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@TxChristopher thanks for the definitive answer on the tolerance, can you tell us/give us a link to where you found that at?

You are welcome, and yes sir, here ya go!

http://archive.org/stream/gov.law.sae.j1228.1991/sae.j1228.1991_djvu.txt

Here is the law that states how the test is to be conducted, which states SAE J1228 shall be the method used:

https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/IF196A590D46911DE8879F88E8B0DAAAE?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

Last edited:

Kevin Turner

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good info TxChris
It's been a long while since I visited the HP variance rating subject. As I recall, there are a few differing ways to attain published HP vs EPA cert? I've seen 220+ HP at the imp shaft of the 200 HP Opti SJ.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow...can you guys dumb this down so I can understand? What is the HP of the Yamaha 1.8 liter engine?

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The winterization process on a Rotax 4-Tec engine should include cylinder and throttle body fogging, coolant run through the flush out port, (water actually remains in the exhaust hoses, and bottom of the muffler), fuel stabil in the gas tank, and the engine coated with BRP anticorosion spray #219 700 304. It's still a very simple process.